Night time temps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelrose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, this came up in a lighting topic and since i didnt want to hijack that thread to go on about temps i thought id make a new thread, i am curious to know what practises people have in place about dropping temps at night, if anything, how many degrees, or do you simply turn off the thermostat and let mother nature step in for a while, i personally dont have anything set in stone, but even with the thermostat still set to 30c it doesnt get there at night in melb because my enclosure are outdoors and it cant keep up with the cold melb nights so mine go down a max of 7 degrees, can others comment?

Thanks

Angel

mine are inside angel, i have had mine heated 24/7 all through winter, spring and even some of the fake summer we've been having.

Only recently have i bothered to turn off the ceramic at night... which is on a seperate probe thermostat. the night light runs on the wall thermo... which NEVER gets up to its cut off point with a 40watt red lamp at night. so i think my max temps at night now are 24 right under the light.
btw it's a 5x4x2 enclosure that's why i need two thermo's.

sorry for the rambling, i'm sick.

Kee

I have a few methods running at the moment, lol :p

In a couple cages, I have a spotlight on in the day on a timer, switched off at night completely (ie no heat). My house doesnt get that cold, and this's for animals that would be used to it anyway.

In a diff bank, I have them on a 24/7 thermostat - no heat variation at night.

In another lot they have heat cord under all of them, at the same power, 24/7 - this leads to a slight dip in temps at night as the ambient air temp drops.

In the past I've done things like have 2 heat sources, and just switch one off at night. Another one i like is have a black light on a thermostat 24/7 set a little lower, and a spotlight on a timer in the day (have that in one cage at the moment).

Ours turn off via a timer and they cool naturally. In the heat we've been having they turn off at about 6-7 pm and drop to about 20-24C over night. In Winter, They turn off later in the night, about 9-10pm and that way it stays a bit warmer and doesn't cool too quickly. They all turn on again at 5 am.

A good book is that one by um.....Darren Green and Ty Larson "Keeping Carpet Pythons..." or something like that. It's small, cheap but has good info in it...well I thought so anyway. $10 from pails.

i have both the heat lights in my 2 beardies cage turn off at night.

i have mine on 24/7 set at same temperture al through summer. and strat turning it down going in to winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back