Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Reaction score
I saw an advertisement for an intergrade diamond python hatchling on the Herp Trader (I am hoping to purchase a diamond python hatchling within the next 6 months, but it doesn't seem that they are readily available). It was beautiful, but I don't understand what intergrade means, is it different from breeding between species?

Menagerie,
Diamonds breed later than others, there should be a few more around in the next few months,
I should have some high yellow diamonds in about 2 months.
True Intergrades occur naturally - a cross between diamonds and coastals - but a lot of people just breed and sell diamondxcoastals which is different. Unless you could be 100% certain they are true integrades (is anybody breeding these?) and they can prove it - i woudl leave them alone.
Cheers
Ad

It is a bit tricky Menagerie.
An intergrade is a species that occurs naturally where the range of Diamonds and Coastals overlap.
However, if you were to breed a Diamond and a Coastal in captivity, the offspring will not be intergrades but hybrids. It is a technicality but there is a difference.
If you are thinking about buying an intergrade, be sure it is not a hybrid. Ask to see both the parents.

So the fact that they are reasonably rare in captivity would be reflected in the price wouldn't it? The hatchlings were advertised at either $350 or $400 (will have to check again for exact price). What would be the average asking price for a normal diamond python? I would be interested to see your hatchlings Ad, my only reservation is that you are up in QLD and I am in Sydney. Actually we are going to Brisbane next week to visit Irwin's farm and the Great Barrier Reef! Can't wait! (little off topic there, sorry...)

So for a diamondxcoastal intergrade it has to be wild court? or can you breed two intergardes together??

Yeah, when Greebo said ask to see both the parents, i think he means that both the parents have to be wild caught or decendant from wild intergrades, not a mummy diamond and a daddy coastal etc. a normal diamond hatchling i would expect to pay between 250 and 300.

Angel

Menagerie, Diamonds occur south of Taree to the Vic border. Coastal Carpets occur north of Coffs Harbour. Inbetween are the intergrades were over hundreds of thousands of years the two species merged with each other, creating a seperate species.

People in the Port Macquarie area breed intergade hatchlings each year, but never as dear as $350 to $400.

Some people breed pure Diamonds to pure Carpets creating a hybrid. These are virtually worthless as they are just mongrels. These breedings should not be condoned and it is actually illegal in some state to do.

As for Diamonds hatchlings, I have 2 clutches allready hatched from high yellow parents and these will be available in a week or two as soon as they start eating. I live at Gosford, just north of Sydney.

Thanks bigguy, you just saved me from explaining it for the 15th time this month..... And you probably did a much better job of explaining it than I would have.................

Daniel

intergrades :eek: a never ending topic :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

banghead.thumb.gif

Liberated, ask Hix or Browns. I am sure they will love to inform you. :twisted:

DON'T ask, Lib.

Or I'll come up to Brisbane and when I've finished with you, you'll walk like a bloody cowboy too!!!!!

:twisted:

Hix

so how do you guys know that your carpet is pure. Most over there would be multi generation CB animals whose linage hasn't been kept. Im sure there are some but how would you really know?

Intergrade is something like bisexual. No strait and no gay. Always source of trouble.

so how do you guys know that your carpet is pure. Most over there would be multi generation CB animals whose linage hasn't been kept. Im sure there are some but how would you really know?

Now you're talking interbred,or cross bred not intergrade,how many times?????????????Where's that wall...

banghead_thumb.gif

Was there really a need for headbanging and eye rolling smilies? Perhaps the people that want to answer questions could post, and those that don't can avoid the topic completely. I am here solely to learn, am trying to avoid wasting people's time; I thought that people would not mind answering a question that I was not aware was frequently asked.

Menagerie, there's nothing wrong with asking questions, fire away! There's always someone willing to answer it, like bigguy, he's a very patient old chap! :lol: I'm not as patient as bigguy. I have been asked that question soooo many times over the years, I'm just getting a little tired of it, and don't want to answer it anymore... Sorry, just Ignore my complaints..........

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back