Spotted Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJaynes

Reaction score
i was recently walking past my tank when i looked in to see what my adult spotted pythons were doing when the male struck and latched on to the much bigger female, i immediately ran them under water to get them off each other and then seperated them for the time being. has this happend to anyone?? im very alarmed as i have been told by a number of ppl that you could keep spotted pythons together with out any hassel as long as you feed them in another place and seperate them. any ideas?
Cheers
Mick

Mick, pythons are natually solitary animals and would only come together in mating seasons or in some cases sharing the same area(rafters in shed etc) through Winter.

Some people house their snakes together, but as you just found out, accidents can happen, and more frequently than most people realise. Many snakes are killed and sometimes eaten by their cagemates each year. This is why I Never keep any pythons together except mating season.

I only keep snakes together in my large outdoor enclosures. They have plenty of space to avoid each other out there. In my experience, keeping snakes together in small indoor enclosures is asking for trouble.

Daniel

i just wish i had known about this before keeping them together. they are 2.5 years old and this is the first time it has ever happend. there is plenty of hiding places and the tank is quite large about 4x2x3ft. has anyone else had anything like this happen

MichaelJaynes said:
i was recently walking past my tank when i looked in to see what my adult spotted pythons were doing when the male struck and latched on to the much bigger female, i immediately ran them under water to get them off each other and then seperated them for the time being. has this happend to anyone?? im very alarmed as i have been told by a number of ppl that you could keep spotted pythons together with out any hassel as long as you feed them in another place and seperate them. any ideas?
Cheers
Mick

Are you sure they are a pair? A great trick for dodgy herpers is to sell beginners or interstate people, a "pair" of animals that are both male. It's happened to me...

RE: Re: Spotted Pythons

MM IM PRETTY SURE, as this guy wasnt dodgy at all and he showed me hatchlings from their last clutch but i might just get them sexed, only problem is i dont really know anyone who can do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back