Att Jeff Hardy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishead

Reaction score
Howdy Jeff, can you fill us NSW herp heads in on where the advertising for sale law starts and stops? I guess what I (and I'm guessing every other NSW herper) want to know is could you guys term herp trader, APS for sale and similar sites as an online society to fit within the law?
Thanks for your time.
Regards, Steve.

Fishead, the Herp Trader could never be deemed a online herp society. Its only use is for advertisements.

A online herp society would be a web site like APS or Australian Herps were people actually have to join to discus herp related topics.

Thanks Bigguy, there's got to be a way around this. Maybe Herptrader could start a registry or something in the site that qualifies it as an online society? Hey Herptrader?
I'm sure it would be worth the hassle with the extra business.
Herptrader is obviously the biggest and the best, it's silly that we can advertise on one website and it's illegal to do the exact same on what is really just another reptile web site.
Help Jeff!
Bye, Steve.

If a licensed reptile keeper uses a website dedicated entirely to herps we will not have a problem with adds for sale of excess reptiles that have been held for the required 6 months.

Jeff

JeffHardy said:
If a licensed reptile keeper uses a website dedicated entirely to herps we will not have a problem with adds for sale of excess reptiles that have been held for the required 6 months.

Jeff

What is the reasoning behind not allowed keepers to advertise in the local paper or trading post?

:lol: Good question sxereturn,glad YOU asked it! ah sorry your highnes,governor, jeffy its www was him rrreally bossy. :cry: :( :(

Sxereturn, pain is no illusion down here mate,uncle jeffy takes great pleasure in the administration of it. Whip me! Whip me good baby yeh!! :p :twisted: :p

BuggieSmuggler said:
Are email addresses etc. passed on to NPWS from this site's administrator upon request?

The question has never come up, and we've never been asked. I can't speak for the owners of the site(Slateman and SJ) but I think we would probably resist that sort of thing, for privacy reasons. There would have to be pretty compelling reasons for us to give out that sort of information. Probably require a court order.

That doesn't mean we wouldn't co-operate with NPWS. I don't see any ethical problems with passing on messages, if asked. Slatey? What do you think?

What is the reasoning behind not allowed keepers to advertise in the local paper or trading post?

The government has directed that commercial reptile trade in reptiles and frogs is not to occur in NSW in the interests of animal welfare. Those sorts of issues don't generally arise among people with a serious interest in herps that go searching the market. The issues of concern relate primarily to impulse purchasers who see and buy an animal on the spur of the moment because it appeals to them as a curiosity. They generally have little or no idea of the housing and husbandry need of herps and would, in many cases, end up with a dead animal. Hence no pet shops, no markets and no general press where the browser finds reptiles and frogs advertised with cats, dogs and the like.

In 1991 we had some 20,000 green tree frogs (before they were protected) imported into NSW and sold through pet shops. Come the anmesty in 1995 not more than 20 were declared as having been purchased in 1991. What happened to them? We suspect that they were puchased by impulse buyers and within a few weeks went the same way as most of the thousands of hermit crabs sold at markets and pet shops each year.

So until now the government (not necessarily DEC) has resisted calls to open up the herp pet trade in NSW. This may happen in the future, but if it does I can assure you there will not be a free-for-all as has occurred in some other states.

Are email addresses etc. passed on to NPWS from this site's administrator upon request?

DEC has not, and will not, ask the administrators of any website to pass on material that is not contained in posts.

Cheers,

Jeff

lutzd said:
BuggieSmuggler said:

The question has never come up, and we've never been asked. I can't speak for the owners of the site(Slateman and SJ) but I think we would probably resist that sort of thing, for privacy reasons. There would have to be pretty compelling reasons for us to give out that sort of information. Probably require a court order.

That doesn't mean we wouldn't co-operate with NPWS. I don't see any ethical problems with passing on messages, if asked. Slatey? What do you think?

Exactly as David is saying.
Nobody ewer asked as for any information regarding private details in the past.
BuggieSmuggler why are you asking this questien? I hope you not smugling anything. :)

I see the no advertising rule for NSW really as a bit of a joke. You cant avertise in a paper but you can advertise on the internet. Come on, why not get rid of that rule as there are already ways around it and it will give the NSW people a fair go.

womas4me said:
I see the no advertising rule for NSW really as a bit of a joke. You cant avertise in a paper but you can advertise on the internet. Come on, why not get rid of that rule as there are already ways around it and it will give the NSW people a fair go.

I think at least on the internet that the advertisements are always on herp related sites which mainly only herpers visit where as in the local rag any old joe reads and goes "wow, a snake" which would turn in to a lot more time wasters for the seller as well as I dare say some more impulsive "get my licence and get sick of the snake 2 days later" people.

It happens anyway. There will always be people who buy animals with great ideas and then get sick of them. It isn't impulse buying when you have to go away and get a license etc, etc. It would be another way for a seller to reach their target audience is all. Also, not all serious herpers are on the net or in a herp club.

Womas, I think Tim hit it right on the head. People who join herp societies or herp related sites have shown they are truly interested in reptiles by joining. Anybody can read a newspaper or see a reptile for sale in a shop and buy it on impulse only.

However, having said that, most reptile keepers do not belong to societies and many do not own computors. These keepers have no idea what is available in their own state. The NSW policy regarding adverts in newpapers only bans NSW breeders. Interstate breeders can advertise in NSW papers and do so. So many NSW keepers buy from these adds and import from interstate not even knowing that local breeders even exist. This is where I do not agree with the policy.

True that is, i have friends in NSW who bought their animals from interstate because of the reasons you just listed bigguy. It is hard to believe the government promotes small business's so loudly but then imposes restrictions on their ability to advertise, but those in other states are welcome to advertise with open arms. Seems very hypocritical to me. But then thats government departments for you.

So! my reading of what Jeff wrote is that herptrader can put NSW after ads from that state. AND they could add things like metro or sth etc.

peterescue said:
So! my reading of what Jeff wrote is that herptrader can put NSW after ads from that state. AND they could add things like metro or sth etc.

That is not what He wrote Peter. Herp trader is business purpose site only at the moment build for income reason run for profit same as normal shop would be.. They do sell herp products and herps to run a business.
They would have to change structure and start online comunity with forum I think.
But I don't think that situation with not publishing state in case of NSW sale on herptrader is big problem for anybody. Nearly all people do know what it means when location behind the add is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back