What do you feed baby tadpoles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We had an explosion of baby tadpoles in our outside pond.
I would like to bring some inside so my daughters can watch them develope.
What do I feed them until they grow legs & lose their tales?

:) Spyder my mother has various small ponds in her backyard and they hatch there and go through until they metamorphosise.They seem to really like the "flakey" type goldfish food.They probably also find natural food in there ponds as well. :)

Is there a way of telling what species tadpoles are??? I recently thought about this when I tipped out a bucket of water that had been sitting outside. My guess they would have been toads... but I would hate to think I tipped out something else.

lol AG I think unless you see what formation the eggs were before they break apart and hatch out time will be the only way to tell.

The flakey Fish food is fine also. Unless you like to boil lettuce leaves that is :wink:

ozherpconservation said:
Cane Toad tadpoles are black with very short tails.

their eggs are also long and strand like...like a weird spaggetti
easy to tell apart

Re: RE: What do you feed baby tadpoles?

moosenoose said:
lol AG I think unless you see what formation the eggs were before they break apart and hatch out time will be the only way to tell.

It's easy to identify most species of tadpole. For example Green Treefrog tadpoles are very large and dark green, Great Barred frog tadpole are very large, mottled brown with low-finned tails, Red-eyed Treefrog tadpoles are small dark tadpoles reaching only 60mm etc.

Daniel

RE: Re: RE: What do you feed baby tadpoles?

Oh okay, I'm still under the impression that cane toad taddies can invariably be mistaken for certain native species of frogs. Admittedly 8 years in Victoria and lack of recent interaction with amphibians has my memory a little foggy.

Certainly the easiest way, and most positive identification lies within seeing the toads spawn strings lying in puddles and the like. These, if at all possible, should be removed and destroyed. Green Tree Frogs however, lay their eggs in spawn clumps ? whatever you do don?t chuck those :lol:

RE: Re: RE: What do you feed baby tadpoles?

I just kepy up a good suply of boiled letuce leaves.

The problem with the boiled lettuce is that it fouls up the water pretty quickly. Try the fish food.
Tourett

I agree, works if there is little else around the house, but unless your going to boil whatever they are in and throw in some coriander and a few prawns I'd just stick to the fish food :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back