Beardy hatchy not eating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_im_sam

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my brothers little hatchling bearded dragons doesn't seem to be eating, at least not while we watch and it's very skinny. As in, head is wider than it's body, noticably.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea, other than trying other food sources (working on that). We've been trying little woodies, which none ofthe others have an issue with.

I remember a while ago have a sick adult beardie that I helped out by opening it's mouth and popping a cricket in, it'd then chew by itself. Can youdo this with hatchies, or are they too delicate?

Cheers guys :)

Sam

hey sammy, what have you tried?
apart from woodys

Nothing yet, but getting come crix and little wax worms or something. Reason I asked for ideas other than that was that it's being taken care of ;) I'm also not optomistic of that approach cause he just seems run down, doesn't twitch an eyelid at the roaches.

Sam, hatchling beardeds should never be allowed to deteriate in condition. Its so hard to bring them back.

I would carefully open its mouth and stick some food in. At the very least however , try a different food item(crickets, worms, etc). Best of luck.

Have you been misting them with water Sam, I find if that they dehydrate quite rapidly so I mist my hatchies morning and nite. Mist some water on him and see his reaction. As bigguy said it is very hard to bring them back when they get on that downward spiral. If you hold their head with your thumb and middle finger, you can gently open their mouth with your pointer finger. Place some food in their mouth with a pair of small tweezers making sure whatever you feed is dead.

Sam, i have done the method that huggy said with a few hatchies, but i used small live crickets and that worked very well. For the one or 2 that was really bad, i used Rep-Cal juvenile pellets crushed to powder with apple juice or water fed to the hatchie via a syringe. After one or 2 of these syringe feeds, i didnt even have to hold the beardie, it would just feed from the syringe when i would put it in the tank, and would then pursue the small crickets also.

Good luck and im sure you'll get it healthy in no time!!!

yes, I have done what shem has said before. I did it with my adult male when he was a lil tacker. I used baby food for 4 month olds. Carrot and pumpkin or mixed veg. Mix in supplements and then syringe feed. You could also add some water for fluids.

They will start lapping it from the syringe. If they dont start lapping after a few secs, use your finger to slightly open its mouth and then it should go. Mr Lizard still does it if I hold a syringe up to him, I figure it may be handy one day if I ever need to treat him for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back