Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Thorny Devils..

I'm not at all surprised they sold within the day. I know of keepers of Thornys in SA, QLD and NT. Hopefully soon there'll be a keeper in Newcastle NSW ;-)

Simon Archibald

I was suprised about the price, not because they aren't worth it, but because I know of people who have paid much less. They're time consuming to keep, but not really all that difficult if you know a few tricks (I've seen three very different methods used to feed them, all successful). I've had a picture of a captive bred adult which was raised in Melbourne in my personal gallery on this site for a few months. That one is still thriving, along with its partner, here in Melbourne (by the way, I think that pair was $300, unless they were $300 each (as hatchlings), or my memory is completely out). I know of a couple of people in SA who keep them outside. These lizards aren't just found in NT by the way, I've seen them a very short drive from the coast in SA (in some areas down there, they're very common), and I must say, if you've seen or held a live one, you'll agree that they're worth every bit of $2,000. Finding my first wild moloch was one of the most exciting reptile related moments I've ever had, it was a thousand times more astounding than I expected.

I've never heard anything more solid than 5th hand rumours about them going well a diet of anything other than ants, but if it was true that they can thrive on baby woodies, I would definately be wanting some. At this stage my guess is that I'll never own one and I'm quite content with that. I know of someone who got a hatchling to eat hatchling crickets, but it didn't survive on that diet. If it doesn't eat rodents, cockroaches, GR2's or leaves, I'm not too keen to have it!

Oh, in case anyone is wondering, yes, the Melbourne ones are 100% legal (they're on a non-private permit) and no, unfortunately, they aren't on public display.

Thorny Devils for me have always been the ultimate reptile to own and keep and when you think of their rarity in captivity and their price compared to say a female bhp for$1300 , $2000 isn't a ridicolous price to pay at all.They're miniature dinosaurs and when they become a bit more available and more info on husbandry has been learnt i guarantee i'll get me a couple of these awesome little creatures,i love em :D

They are indeed a spectacular reptile, everyone marvels at them and indeed the first question that my dad asked me when i said i was getting a reptile licence was "can you keep thorny devils?"

Are the spikey things hard at all. Would it be like handling a cactus or is it just for show???

I hear "2-3000 ants per sitting" aswell :shock: I did read somewhere about attemps to create artificial feed for thornys, cant remember where though or if they were successful.
Awesom lizard, but I wouldnt want one unless I could garanteee to keep it aliveand well. For now I prefer to watch them on docos, I love the way they move about.

They are fairly common near Whyalla, SA, which is relatively close to the coast.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Thorny Devils..

Simon_Archibald said:
No submissions need to be made now to keep these animals, unless you want them downgraded to a lower class of licence :)

Simon Archibald

Simon,

I stand corrected. :oops:

I was basing my information on the Sticky from Jeff in the Australian Snakes forum titled "Reptile Lists in NSW". It is obviously out-of-date and needs to be updated or removed.

Sdaji said:
Finding my first wild moloch was one of the most exciting reptile related moments I've ever had, it was a thousand times more astounding than I expected.

I have to agree with that one. The first one I found I had to move off the Lassetter Highway as it was in the path of an oncoming coach. Actually, just seeing it was exciting!

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Thorny Devils..

Hi all, The seller of the Thornys has been watching this thread with great interest and has decided to ask me to post the following message
"Can you do us a favour and post a message for me on that Aussie pythons site, I cant register due to some site problem. Message as follows: As the guy selling the Thornys there is an issue I’d like to clear up, the reason I can sell them for 2 grand a piece, is because I have them and you don’t! Na na na nana na.
Thorny man. "

PLease don't shoot me, I am only the messenger.

HAHAHA...good on him Dan I say. As I've said throughout the thread, $2000 is a reasonable price proven by the fact that they sold within a day.

Simon Archibald

As the guy selling the Thornys there is an issue I?d like to clear up, the reason I can sell them for 2 grand a piece, is because I have them and you don?t! Na na na nana na.
Thorny man. "

http://members.fortunecity.com/moondusted/simpsons/Nelson_haha.wav
nelson800x6003re.gif

"Just for you instar..........theres no need for it thats my oppinion"

Lighten up a bit mate, its only a bit of fun eh. :D Good luck to him and better luck to to the thornys I say! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back