How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

Could be the ideal Mothers Day Present! :D

RE: Re: RE: How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

Never had a prob with my parents about keeping reptiles....i was keeping all sorts of lizards and carpets from about 5 years old up to about 10 years or so ago before i even knew you needed and could get licences so no hassles for me with the oldies and my reptiles when i lived at home.

What you could do to convince her is tell her you've been having dizzy spells so you went to the doc and he took some tests that came back positive for the common affliction of herpatitis and if you're not around or don't have contact with reptiles you could have a seizure and die....might work,you ever know :lol:

yeah mate i had the small old problem when i was 10 years old. i ended up talking the old man into it saying, ill look after it, ill feed it, ill do things around the house to pay for food etc, just say they don't smell like cats or dogs and s**t in the corner of your room, easiest pet around. the best thing but is to talk at least one of them into it, and keep bagging them coz they might think its just a fad or the in thing at the moment.

Another option (which has worked for a few people I know) is to find a friendly herper who has some placid snakes.

Then, take your mum around for a visit. Once she has handled one, and heard about how easy they are to keep, she may come around..

Good luck!

My wife was the biggest hurdle. SHe was adament I was not getting snakes, but after many long and tiresome fights I won. I used to tell her that it was not fair for me to go through life not being able to have what I wanted just because she says NO. I had never stopped her from doing anything and I thought it was not right that she could decide what I could or couldn't do. Now, when I say to her as a joke that I am going to sell my snakes and beardies, she is like "No way, you are not selling them." She has gone from hating snakes to touching them (not holding them, not even close) and she now plays with my beardies a little. It is a big step from someone who hated reptiles last year.

P.S. (sorry moosenoose, but it is possible to turn them around. We may have to catch up for a chat someday!! ;) :) )

Also, be adament that you are getting one and tell a few people in front of your mum (in my case it was my wife). Thats what I did. Then I would spend hours researching them on the net and this site and then talk about what I have learn't in front of her until it drove her crazy. :)

This post/topic is brilliant! :lol:
It is soooo funny to hear everybody?s little ploys to get their snake!.....lol

When we moved to the territory I brought an injured Childreni home (Got hurt by the slasher) and my partner fell in love with it. :D Was that easy!! (I have a carers permit)

Then when it was going well and eating like a horse we released it back into the wild and she cried for days! :cry: 'JACKPOT' :D

So......now she loves snakes, we have 12 different pythons and am pushing her to get some elapids but its going to take at least a few weeks!! lol.....

As far as getting parents to warm to the idea, it?s VERY hard!!! You need to make a presentation for them.
It not only makes you look like you know what you are talking about but have researched the subject too!
BUT most importantly it shows them that you are committed!

What you need to include is what is involved in feeding, care and habitat. You can find care sheets on this site!
Feeding, easy??call a local pet store and ask how much for frozen mice.. done.

Care and habitat can be found within the care sheets within this site. If not, click http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=care+for+pythons&btnG=Search&meta=cr=countryAU
or just do your own search.

Hope this helps you??if you need any help don?t hesitate to PM, I have been the middle man for children before so I know how to help. I also design and build reptile enclosures so my experience may help sway your parents??fingers crossed!!!!

Good luck! :D

My mum is a snake and rodent hater also, I simply asked her which she hated more, to which she replied 'mice!' so I said, 'well there you go, you will get to see it eat the horrible little furry buggers' and she grudgingly agreed, then when my hatchy arrived she was all' awwww he is sooooo cute, will he be warm enough there? put his house in the dining room closer to the heater!'
Though the fact that my living back with the parents is a temporary thing probably helped too.

Hope she comes around for ya! best of luck.

Re: RE: Re: RE: How to get your mum to say yes to a snake?

Magpie said:
(Note - beer fridges are no good, they don't deep freeze the rodent and it degrades fairly quickly).

Oh it?s just a bloody technicality! Sorry, I should have stipulated that the beer fridge should have a freezer compartment at the top. Jesus you can?t just have it for rats!!!! :wink: :lol:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How to get your mum to say yes to a snak

i was begging my mum for a snake(or 2 :p) since i was about 7 and i got my first last year. i started to wear he down with lizards and then i started bringing snakes home, worked perfectly...

my master plan is comming together, now on to elapids :wink:

I just came home with it.

That's what I did and mum was cool with it after a week. 18 years later I did the same thing with my wife and she was really annoyed for about 2 days and because the kids were so happy with she caved and is OK with it now.

Join a herpetological society. You're a kid. You need her to drive you. She'll go with you and before you know it, she'll be hooked.

well i also brought a bearded dragon home every day in my lunch box from skewl so my mum knew i was crazy about them and she is an allright mum even tho she has a phobia of snakes she still let me get one and was happy with me getting more aslong as i didnt get anything over 8 foot or venomous

btw i tried telling her i would just get one and there wasnt anything she could do about it
lets just say she said alot of things mainly about a shovel

hey all...
some great info here... hope it helps some other people win over their mothers too.... as for my mum she dosent hate snakes, dosent even dislike them.... its the food that she has a problem with and now we have solved that problem she shouldnt have anything to complain about :mrgreen: hehehe...
Cheers.
Take care. Have fun.
Megan

my mum hated snakes 3 years ago when i got my first stimson's python but know i have 4 snakes and now my mum wants too get herself a diamond python. :lol:

Megan, just dont mention anything about keeping mice/rats in the freezer.. the wife didnt like that at all :mrgreen: :wink:

You could try saying 'Can I have a snake Can I have a snake Can I have a snake' about a 1000 times. Seems to work for Bart and Lisa all the time. :D

My mum bought me a bluetongue at cabramatta pet shop when there was free trade and it was walkover after that for a 10$ carpet from the telegraphs free adds, Ache for freedom again :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back