Cold House how to heat 'Click-Clacks'?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keelow

Reaction score
my bloody house is freezing at this time of year, is sitting a holding container on a heat mat going to cut the mustard when the ambient house temp is below 18 degrees most of the time...

RE: Cold House how to heat

Those 'Click-Clacks' are a good way to house little snakes what you houing in them? i keep three stimmies in 2 foot glass tanks with a wooden lid that i made out of ply, its great it keeps the heat in and is easy to mount fittings on the inside. the only reason i dont use the click clacks is due to the loss of heat through the top.

18 degrees, bloody hell what does that feel like ? :)
Heat mat or heat tape is ideal.

i'm considering getting a pair of hatchling Darwins... but with winter coming and melbourne/my house being very hard to maintain humidity at this time of year i'm unsure

Keelow,
you could still get them it just depends wot style enlosure you keep them in. i believe a two foot tank is ideal and then make a timber lid. they keep the heat and humidity in fine a find

so what size heat mat do you use for a 2 foot tank... i've never used under floor heating.

Kee

I pop them in a unused cage and heat the cage accordingly.

well on my two foot tanks i have a heat mat approximantly 20cmx30cm (there abouts) i just have it at one end with it partly under the hide, i also use a 50wat red bulb connected to a thermostat but i only recently got that as i m starting to breed but i used just that heat mat for a yr before hand and it was fine.

you want something about 1/3 the size of the enclosure id say for a mat

I have the same problem with my two childreni so am I making a seperate enclosure to put the two click-clacks in. They are going to need the bigger enclosures eventually anyway.

if i have to build an enclosure i'm just going to build a top opening 2x2x2 cube with the 'Trader' patented heat tape/heat cord under tiles

Keep them in there without click clacks and build another arboreal box when the time comes. Then i also have a small top opening box i can put an adder in later.

Kee

Re: RE: Cold House how to heat

In addition to under tile heating in all of my enclosures I have also two panels with heat tape running down the middle and tiles over the top which I use for the hatchlings. They are 800mm wide chipboard with the high wattage narrow heat tape running down the middle. I have used them for a couple of years now and am very pleased with how they work. I have a prob thermostat with the probe located in a groove routed under where the heat tape runs.

keelow said:
if i have to build an enclosure i'm just going to build a top opening 2x2x2 cube with the 'Trader' patented heat tape/heat cord under tiles

Keep them in there without click clacks and build another arboreal box when the time comes. Then i also have a small top opening box i can put an adder in later.

Kee

RE: Re: RE: Cold House how to heat

Re the cold house syndrome? Well, our shed/house/flat or whatever, can get down to about 5 or 6 degrees overnight in winter, some times less than that. It is not insulated. Last night got down to about 9C. Brrrr!! We've got our two MD hatchlings in separate little tubs on heat mat. We've just bought a max/min thermometer to see exactly how cold it does get in the tubs overnight. We don't have a separate enclosure that we can sit the tubs in yet, except the one with the 5ft Brissie Coastal in it. We do have a wooden chest here, and wondering whether we could sit the two little tubs in there on the heat mat. We would have to prop the lid open some to make sure there was some airflow. Would this keep the air temp a bit more ambient over night?? Or could we get some heat tape to attach around the tubs??Cheers Cheryl

hi, be gentle this is my first time. i am just getting started. is it necessary to heat your cage/tank in winter? as in the wild snakes dont have the benifit of lamps or mats.
cheers tony

Inthegrass if the snake you are getting is native to your area you could get away without heating (although its probably always better the have incase) but otherwise there is great temperature differences in different localities. For example in vic you really need heating for all pythons (except maybe MDs if you live in northern vic).

Wow! this arvo, put the two little click clack tubs in the wooden chest(what kids put their toys in?). What a difference, both hatchlings are out and about. Just noticed that Boof(our non eater since 4th April) is out and about cruising(he hasn't done this before at all! He's also had a very little poo!(white in colour). Wonder if he's coming up for a shed? Emdee didn't eat for quite a while, then she ****, shed and then ate. Also with the tubs in the box, it's eliminating a lot of the light around the room. Have propped the lid of the box open to allow a bit of airflow. Well, we will see if little Boof develops the characteristics of a shed coming up, and then see how we go. Will hold off trying the feeding again for a couple of days. Many thanks to Donna(Tim's wife) from URS for even more advice. We were just getting a tad worried re the feeding side of things as the little male MD is roughly the same age as "Emdee"(the gal), and sooooo tiny. Will keep u guys updated. Cheers Cheryl :D

inthegrass, wild animals will still thermoregulate during winter to various degrees. Here in summer the animals escape the heat by going underground or deep into crevices etc. In winter they are found close to the surface in the day under rocks etc but not really getting out and about at night. 1 meter below ground here in karratha stays at about 26 deg all year round i am told.

Yeah, but?, surely even for a wild bred hatchie, their temps wouldn't be down to 5 or 6 C overnight, would they? That's what our temps in our uninsulated shed/flat get over winter. Maybe even lower some nights. I reckon hatchies would be in a warmer place than that?? If they were in a hole somewhere in the ground it would be heaps warmer than our bloody shed? I have to wear quite a few layers of clothes this cold weather, even when the potbelly stove is fired up, as it definately is tonight. Cheers Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back