best heat???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inthegrass

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi there, need some help please. could someone tell me what is the best way to heat my cage. i am currently running a 100w infrared spotlamp is this ok to run 24/7 or should i use a heat mat or rock. the lamp is run with thermostat in an 800x 800x 400mm glass and timber set up. the resident is a 1100mm m/d python. please advise.

That will be fine. You could even only run it 12 hour cycles if its warm enough were you live.

i live in penrith area,what would be the lowest temperature the snake will tolerate.

its up to you if you want to run it 24 or not, i live south west and only run 12 hour cycles and even if it gets cool at night the snakes will be ok. if your worried keep em on 24/7.

What temperature is the thermostat keeping it at?

:p

Hix

thermostat is set at thirty celcius, temperature inside cage drops as outside temp lowers.(obviously)

i have a Murray darling he's almost 5 feet now and i heat him 24/7 at around 31 degrees he's got two hot spots one 100 watt ceramic over one hide and one 60 watt red globe over his over hide that only comes on at night, if i run them both at night it maintains 30ish on an average night in winter... he's in a huge 5x4x2 box and the bottom half is always less than 25 degrees so he's got a large termal gradient over all. the red lamp is connected to a wall thermostat that never switches it off because it never gets hot enough too warrant it. and the ceramic is on a probe that switches off at 31 on top of his hide.
vex004.jpg

You run at 31 degrees 24/7 !!!!! Can I ask why ?

So it can warm up when it wants to and continue digesting food throughout the cooler months, just my guess. :wink:

I realise that but I would still be dropping the night temperature below 31 at night. They will suffer no ill effects as far as digestion goes.

But if it has gradient theres no prob anyway provided it can go to the cooler end, even at night.
Do you heat your entire enclosure to the same temp for 13 hrs at a time? :?

thats exactly it, he roams at night and more often than not he will be in the bottom of the box doing laps.

My enclosures takes too long to heat up from night time temps in melbourne, it's easier to keep the top half hot all the time and the snake suffers no ill effects so i keep it like that.

Mine too Keelow, I find they retain some warmth overnight that way, not too sharp a temperature drop. They are doing well enough, so we cant be going far wrong. Whatever works gets the job done. :wink: I was under the inpression most folk maintained a gradient 24/7. Thank god for thermostats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back