Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some of our Quacks. Some of our girls have had up to 30 babies. Very prolific breeders. Takes a while for them to start breeding tho. Some of ours have taken up to 2 months to breed once I put them all together in their breeding boxes.

Photo002_002.thumb.jpg

basketcase said:
a few of mine have had up near 30, older females tend to have larger litters

anyone who wants some, i have excess atm
where bouts in sydney r u at

Pike are they able to feed that many pinkies or do you harvest them straight away?

No they seem to manage just fine, grow faster and bigger if you thin them out a bit though.

Average 18 babies (12-25) in my group. Usual cost from lab supplies such as University of QLD is $25-40 each for a pregnant female

jesus... i just gave away about $200 dollars then :)

i give mine away... (when i have surplus)

spread the love i say :)

i need some fresh blood too pike, if ya got any kickin round...

Just gave away my excess from the last crop yesterday and i have coloured males with my female quacks now , white mice are so boring.

The only problem with that is your production will drop as the quackenbush genes are replaced by normal genes. Being a het for quackenbush doesn't make you a superovulator.

Yeah we don't mix our Quacks with the coloured mice as we want to keep the strain pure. Geckodan, you might be able to tell me? Do you think I could be putting my little colonies together too young?? Should I let them grow out longer before putting them together?? Cheers Cheryl

I don't see aproblem mating them as soon as they are mature as long as you don't have an expectation of them being at full production. If you hold them back however the will be more mature and more productive. At the end of the day it will depend on space. Can you have a spare colony of females set aside maturing?.

Not really a problem for me Dan, get more than enough frozen mice from work. If i wanted i could backcross until i had coloured mice with the vigour of the quacks, but whats the point.Maybe if i was still showing mice, but this is just for fun.I have worked with quacks everday for 10yrs +, so i am just sick of seeing white mice. Also quacks dont superovulate naturally, they naturally have big litters but to superovulate like the preg girls you get from the uni, they get folligon and pmsg injections

Yes Dan, I have a growout box full of little girls. Also another box with not as many males of course. Hmmm Pike, really don't want to go that far with the superovulation stuff! Think I'll just kick along with what I'm doing with the mice now. We are going to change the ratties to 1/1 because of pinks getting squashed/suffocated etc. Dontcha hate that? We usually run 3/1 or 2/1 but have had some advice from someone else breeding rats here in SA. that 1/1 is heaps better in the breeding boxes. Cheryl

We are going to change the ratties to 1/1

hi cheryl,
thats the best way to go, we tryed puting 2 or 3 fm and ended up with half pinkies as the girls pulled them apart, and the added losses from squashed pinkies, we have been breeding rats and mice for over 10 years and we find that pairs of rats are the best, with the mice we use 1 male to 3 or 4 females, but as with the rats or mice, we never let them raise over 8 babies per female this number seems to give a better weaned mouse or rat, it cuts down the losses from under feed babies, but this is just my oppinion......

cheers,
steve.........

Yes..these guys know their rodents..very informative dudes (and dudettes) indeed

hi Steve, well you have just verified the info that we have been given by the mob that are breeding rats n mice for venom snakes here in SA, and they are freezing heaps and heaps that they don't require, and that's doing 1/1 with the ratties. Cheers Cheryl

Well there goes my question regarding multiple females with one male. Thanks Guys and Gals :)

gotta love useful info on this site. shame it doesnt happen more often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back