Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stencorp69

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone direct me to specific guidelines for breeding stimson's pythons

thanks

Stephen

Slateman_Junior
Post subject: Stimson's Python (Alexahnder) Posted: Aug 22, 2004 - 09:10 AM

Administrator

This species is of moderate to robust build. Within its wide distribution there are at least three races, two of which have been described. There is a pattern of large, prominent greyish brown, brown, or reddish brown blotches on a paler shade of brownish grey, greenish brown-grey or yellowish brown.

A distinct straight mid lateral narrow bar or zone on the paler body colour separates the upper lateral and lower lateral blotches, at least on the anterior third of the body. L. s. stimsoni, which occurs in the western half of Western Australia has rather small blotches, about as long as they are wide, on the anterior third of the back. L. s. orientalis, which occurs across the northern and western parts of the remainder of the range, has rather long and transversely elongate blotches on the anterior back. The undescribed form, which occurs in the arid interior of South Australia or New South Wales, has a very robust body with a softer reddish and less contrasting colour with finer patterning.

The large blotched python inhabits deep rock crevices where bats roost and termite mounds. Adults eat small mammals (especially bats) and geckos. Juveniles take geckos and skinks.

Mating occurs from april to July and the female lays from seven to nineteen eggs in August to November. Eggs usually hatch from September to late January. Hatchlings will remain in their slit eggs for up to a day.

thats all i got...hey what stencorp..ur site isnt working
baz

Thanks itsa start - I was more interested in things like cooling off periods, temperatures, keeping pairs together and then removing and reintroducing etc. I only have a 1200X900X600 enclosure for the pair and I'm wondering if keeping them together all the time is doomed to breeding failure.

As for them website - I'm just lazy - I haven't moved it across from my old ISP.

Well I've never done it before but my Stimsons were put together a few weeks ago, Both had been off their food for a while but were being kept at normal temps. We put them together and they courted and mated for a week and a bit. When she seemed disinterested, we separated them. They are both cooling now so we'll see how it goes.

cold nights and hot days for their cooling.
If your animals are kept on thermosat throw it away.
They need a constant warm area and cold, a thermostat turns on and off to much no good.
In my opinion keeping pythons on thermostat control heating is a recipie for disaster there is to much of a fine line to -uck up. Plus there are better,cheaper more effective ways.
You need to seperate your animals and only introduce them for mateing.
Do these few simple things-----they will breed

The herp shop has some great links to care sheets on there site.
I think for maculosa but it is a good read

cold nights and hot days for their cooling

Hey Rocky,

I'm trialing your method (or something similar), I've turned off the thermostat and added a heat rock which gets to about 31C (its left on permanently). The cage for the most part however doesn't get above 20C anywhere away from the heat rock. My question is does it matter if the pythons don't go anywhere near the heat rock? My understanding from your method is that if they require heat they'll go to the heat source.

Sten

in my cage i have the basking spot at 36*C and the cool end at 21-23*C. For the last month or so she's nearley never gone into the basking spot.

interesting method, personally i don't know about the heat rock cause for all you know they could be warming themselves when you aint there.

i would just change the thermostat morning and night have it at 22 during the day and 18 during the night, then have them together for a few days then seperate and just continue that. good luck.

have you seen any mating?

sten,- no dosent matter at all as long as they have acsess to heat during the day they will use it if they need to. At night it dont matter if it drops below 10, infact I have animals that have acsess to heat but will still be in cold area when its below 10 degrees, they love it and some specices actually need it.
Rob

bredli do they breed easily with such warm temps, would 24- 25 be better?

At night it dont matter if it drops below 10, infact I have animals that have acsess to heat but will still be in cold area when its below 10 degrees, they love it and some specices actually need it.

Ok I'll see how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back