Air Vents..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whytwolf

Reaction score
We're down to adding ventilation to the the new enclosures..
We've been to Bunnings can't find what we're after. We'd like to have preferably round air vents (versus rectangular/square, too much cutting) preferably adjustable for air flow
Any suggestions on where to find such things?
Enclosure is melamine 4 x 2 x 2 bank of 3..

Thanks guys...

Cheers

I use sink strainers for air vents. 2 for $2 and just need a hole saw to cut the enclosure, drill the rim and a couple of small screws to fit :) Easy as and cheap as chips :) To adjust just cover one or more vents with a piece of card.

I use sink strainers for air vents. 2 for $2 and just need a hole saw to cut the enclosure, drill the rim and a couple of small screws to fit

I screwed them on my first enclosure, but the screws didn't screw in as far as I would have liked, so since then I've just glued them on.

:p

Hix

Ya could always try longer screws, Hixie! :) ;-)

Re: RE: Air Vents..

lutzd said:
Ya could always try longer screws, Hixie! :) ;-)

I would go for longer, but I'm told to stop because they 'have a headache'.

Hmm....seriously, what I meant was, there is too much of the screw head sticking out of the strainer when it's done, that's what I don't like. Glue is just easier I find.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Air Vents..

Sink strainers work well, look neat ! Gluing is easier . :D

Thanks Guys!! :D
I'm voting for the sink strainers myself like you said easy.... I like the speaker thingymabobs too.... since hubby is the master remodeler I'll let him make the decision.... :D

Thanks again

Vents sold as vents are stupidly expensive.

I have used the sink strainer idea with success.

I have made my own from 5mm square mesh which was ok but there is the potential for nose rub.

I think the speaker do dads could look great!

The cheapest option I have used successfully is to route thin slots directly into the walls. This will only work if the walls are made of mdf or something fairly solid they will need to be sealed. In my case I had the cabinet maker do it for me and they did a really neat job.

I also like the idea of havin open vents behind mesh light guards which is what I did on my most recent enclosure design.

Just drill your holes where you want them, dosn't cost me anything bar elec and real easy to do!!
No screw head probs or glueing.

I use the drill hole method too. You just need some sort of grid to mark your holes and you can make it any pattern or size you want.
Tourett

You just need some sort of grid to mark your holes
I used MS Word and the "o" key and then spaced it out till it looked OK, printed it out and stuck it on with tape, then drilled.

ie.

.o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o
.o o o o o o o

took about two seconds and the end result looked neat (but took some time to drill...)

If you've made a melomine enclosure, did you use the 5mm backing board, like in kitchen cupboards?

If so, just cut out a strip and replace it with the same sized piece of peg-board, it comes pre-drilled and a sheet would be enough for 50 or more enclosures.

In regards to that, how many people build melomine enclosures entirely out of melomine, when we make cupboardss or carkasses for them, only the sides, top and bottom are melomine, we use 5mm (i think) backing board that already has the melomine finish on one side. It makes them heaps lighter and it's much easier to cut/drill to allow access for cords, vents, etc. If you need to screw anything heavy onto it, you simply place a piece of wood on the outside of the backing board and then screw into it.

I would say most ppl who have melamine enclosures including my self use the 3 or 5mm backing, or even pegboard (BROWNS) works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back