Thermometer Guns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tourett

Reaction score
I,ve been thinking about getting a Thermometer Gun so I can check temps in my enclosures quickly.
My question is can I point and get a reading through the glass of the enclosures and will it give me the temp of the air in that part of the enclosure or the temp of the surface that it hits. I hope I'm making some kind of sense. Any opinions appreciated.
Tourett

Tourett,
My experience with these has lead me to believe that they don't work through glass, you need to open the enclosure to get an accurate reading.
Good bit of kit though.

Neil

They'll take the temperature of the surface of the glass.

Definately get one, they're an essential piece of equipment for every serious reptile keeper.

Re: RE: Thermometer Guns

NCHERPS said:
you need to open the enclosure to get an accurate reading.Good bit of kit though.
Neil

If it then takes the temp of the surface that it hits, wont this be different to the air temp?
Tourett

RE: Re: RE: Thermometer Guns

It's not designed to measure ambient air temp, just hot spots within an area, like under the heat source, the snake, egg's etc..

Neil

Thanks NCHERPS and Sdaji, maybe its not quite what I was looking for.
Tourett

Touret the guys are right in saying how good they are,i got a pe1 off of dave Barker and thought yeh another gismo.Any way i got round to using it and woulds not be without it now,mine is onley 4 inches long about 10 cm and is the most affordable,cause its palmsize you can get into hiding places.Pe1 is available from Tempgun.com in the USA and may be available locally.,all the different models are displayed on the site.

Yes, it measures surface temperatures not air temperatures. This can sometimes be more important, but you want both. I wouldn't recommend throwing away all your old thermometers, you need them too, but the infrared gun is indispensable. Try taking the surface temperature of the entire length of your snake's body or measuring the enclosure's floor temperature gradient without one! If you hang a piece of paper anywhere it will be at ambient temperature so you can use the gun to measure it. Keep in mind that while the infrared guns are extremely precise, they are usually not too accurate.

RE: Re: RE: Thermometer Guns

Sdaji can you explain what you mean by "precise but not accurate"?

Accuracy and precision are different things. It's a little difficult to explain in text. Perhaps an analogy with firearms would work well...

A precise but inaccurate gun would consistently hit the same spot, eg above and to the right of the target, if you sat their aiming at a spot on the wall there would be a tight cluster of holes in that one off target spot. If it was accurate but not precise, the holes in the wall would be centred on the target but there would be a large spread. This would be much easier to understand if it was displayed diagramatically.

RE: Termo Temp Guns

I got this in the mail yesterday and it's just the best fun!

I now know the surface temperature across the floors, up the walls, on the branches, under the branches, in the hide boxes and just about every other nook and cranny in various enclosures and cages around the house. That's the serous side. The kids and I have also taken the temperature of just about everything inside and outside the house as well as the cats, mice and the yabby.

It is small, reads between -33?C to 220?C with an error of ? 2?, and a response time of 1 second. At $50 including postage, every house needs one.
hand25sq.jpg

RE: Termo Temp Guns

Yes Jenny, the Herp Shop also sells a great little unit of similar size, I wish I'd seen that one before I bought my big one! :)

THats the gismo jenny LOL its 25 us$ plus12us$ = 37US$ but you would think you could get something cheaper in ozz at animal attraction or ultimate reps,forget NSW :lol:

Themometer Guns

Sorry jenny i should of asked if you did buy in ozz and who from.

Mine came from Sydney via one of the big eBay shops. Their overheads are small and their prices re usually good. They are good fun aren't they.

Themometer Guns

Fun yeh jenny,and useful to test precise beer temps :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back