WOO HOO! I got accepted to TAFE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whytwolf

Reaction score
For most people getting accepted to TAFE isn't a big deal However, I've only been here for 3 years, just got my permanent residency last August. I got accepted into the Animal Certificate II course at TAFE. Had to apply as the course is so popular. But this means that from here I can go to the captive animals II and III certificates and vet nursing if I want. Anyways when I finish I should be able to get a job at any zoo or animal care facility w/o too much drama :D So I'm JAZZED!!!!! Like i said for most it wouldn't be a big deal, but when you are trying to find a job and you haven't had a "real" job in over 16 years cuz you've been busy being married and raising kids and running your own business - which prospective employers just don't seem to understand that all the above IS a job... it's great to finally be accepted in SOMEWHERE......

congrats and i hope it all goes well for you.

Nice work whytwolf. im planning to do Animal Certificate II course this year aswell. hope it all goes well for you.

WOW :shock:

Leave for 5 minutes and EVERYONE posts :D
Thanks for the good wishes guys..much appreciated
I hope i eventually get to work with big cats..lions and tigers. They are my absolute passion .....

good luck with the course and congradulations! no idea what i will do when i grow up but i might do a tafe course like that. would really like to work with really any animals, snakes, birds of prey marine aquariums, freshwater aquariums.

though i might do something else and keep animals as a hobby not a job.

once again congrats!

andrew

Congrats whytwolf!! :D All the best going back to school!

I've only been here for 3 years, just got my permanent residency last August.

Well done it feels good to belong... :wink: I have just applied for my Australian citizenship!!! I want to do the ceremony thing on Australia Day next year.... :D :D

Thanks Judy ..... since I was 5 I wanted to be a veterinarian...but in the states it's 4 years of pre-med ( THEN you have to get into the vet school. The competition is so fierce to get into veterinary medicine in the states you have to have at LEAST a 4.0 GPA (the equivalent of straight A average for 4 years) all thru pre-med. Too tough to get in. Sides, I'm never happy with the domestic :D I always wanted to work with exotic animals..so this is my chance to get all studied up and see what i can find as far as employment in that arena. If nothing else, I'll be a vet nurse.....

thats cool! i am now half way through year 10 and the whole what are you going to do when you grow up thingy is setting in. normally i just wanted to do something with animals now the idea of $ is coming in and whether i should go for a career that will be ok-good pay so i can keep animals as a hobby or go with animals as a career.

andrew

hi andrew
Look into TAFE for sure. They have HEAPS of classes on Animal Care. You do have to apply for the class tho (at least Animal Studies Certificate II) The Certificate I class you do not have to apply but it's not available until next year (at least that's what I was told by Bankstown TAFE) but there are heaps of courses there. Just check out the TAFE online website and do a search for the animal classes.... Hey I'm 42 and I STILL haven't figured out what i'm gonna do when i grow up :D So you have lots of time...... if I were you I'd stay and get you HSC and then you'll have even more options open to you should you decide to go to Uni.....

Cheers

Whytwolf said:
Anyways when I finish I should be able to get a job at any zoo or animal care facility w/o too much drama

Whytwolf said:
I'm never happy with the domestic I always wanted to work with exotic animals

Hate to be a wet blanket, but you may find getting a job in a zoo to be a big drama. Lots of qualified people in Sydney who would give their right arm to be a keeper at Taronga who can't get a look-in. And many of them have their Zookeeping Certificate.

I'm not trying to put you off the idea, just alerting you to the fact that you might find it quite a bit more difficult than you realise.

:p

Hix

yeah I'm very much aware of how difficult it is to get a job in a zoo...... :( But there's always Dubbo :D and sides it doesn't have to be a zoo. That's my dream, but dreams can always change and really if i get paid to work with critters, no matter where....I'll be a happy chappy :D

Umm........Dubbo's harder to get into than Taronga.

But good luck with it! :)

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back