Mutten Biurd oil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney

Reaction score
Do people use it much ?
For wat purpose ?
Wat Dose ?

Wats its advantages ? Disadavantages ?

Does it stimulate feeding helps restore vitamin levels ?
After breeding for example Or sick ones ?

Hey Barney how are you, we use mutton bird oil with females coming up to breed, recovering animals (from both breeding and illness), and for hatchling-juvinile snakes.

The suggested dosage is 5ml per kg of body weight with every 4th-5th feed.

The advantages are that it is nutrient rich, and contains all of the necessary vitamins and minerals to increase the health and well being of captive animals in the above mentioned situations.

It is easy to administer (we just inject it into prey before feeding).

We have conducted a few little experiments with it and have found that animals given mutton bird oil seemed to grow quicker and have better general condition the those that did not receive any.

No adverse effects have been recorded in snakes due to the use of Mutton bird oil.

If you are interested we have the full scientific analysis of the product available (would have to be faxed to you)

Hope this helps you out

Take care
Matt
www.animalattraction.com.au

Sounds Good Matt

very posituive reports !

Your tests where carried out on wat animals over wat period of time ? 12mnths

I was also concidering a drop or 2 on the nose of my dragons every so often . ???????

Hey Barney, tests were on 6 different animals (2 darwins, 3 coastals and a diamond) over a period of about 8 months, that was enough for us after that we just started "using" it on breeders, animals we were trying to grow up and sickly animals.

Havent done extensive testing on dragons, but used it on a pair of bearded dragons that we had a while back that were in poor health, they rapidly gained weight and actually bred about 2 weeks ago.

We used to inject it into pinkies to feed those guys.

Take care
Matt

And all the bad press mutton bird oil has had now it's testing to be beneficial?Lots of conflict there i'm sure,would love to hear a few breeders comments or experience using mutton bird oil.It seems that if used at the right amount it can be healthy?

Very interesting,would like to hear more as it's always been recommended strongly not to use mutton bird oil???Never tried it as it was strongly recommended not to but sounds interesting.Another good discussion i think and views from different breeders would be great to hear for all of us i'm sure :)

I'm like you Browns, have always avoided the stuff like the plague! At one stage I bought a bottle but chucked it out as I considered it just not worth the risk.

What bad things did you hear about it ?
I used to use it a few years ago.

Mutton bird is one of the richest sources of vitamon A. Excessive A can cause health problems.

there are no problems known to have been caused by sensible use of Mutton bird oil, small amounts at a time, and not as a staple part of a diet.

When used for breeding, growing and recovery of sick animals you will not encounter problems with it.

It is like everything moderation is the key.

Take care
Matt

Abusing this product can cause musculoskeletal defects and liver abnormalities.

Snakes can recover fine from breeding without using it and breed the following year if they are allowed to.
I don't see any use for the stuff as it is, then put that with possible health problems......whats the point?

Its main use has been for power feeding. Bulking up snakes to make them big and fat.
Similar to what you would do to geese if you were looking at making pate'.
Power feeding causes enlargement of the liver. Subsequently, muttonbird oil has recieved some bad press because of this association.
Of course a good diet should preclude the need to use suppliments.
I have no opinion on the use of the stuff other than i you must use it be very sparing and I would like to see something a bit more definative in the testing.

ps, If it is being marketed there must be data sheets available,otherwise its just the old "snake oil" :)

Most Pythons if not all in the wild would normally not eat mutton birds so i dont see the point of it. Stick to the basics i reckon.

I heard that it also causes severe muscular trauma around the cervical vertebrae of certain species of Puffinus.

Isn't there a species of Tiger snake that almost lives on mutton birds as its main food source ?
Not positive but down phillip island or one of the islands down that way.As i said i cant remember exactly the species or location but it feeds up on the hatchling mutton birds and they keep it going till next breeding season.
Some one here will be able to correct me

Moderation I think would definitly be the key here. I can not coment on its use as I have never used it. I have how ever used other supplements on sick or breeding animals, ( normaly given 2nd or 3rd feed after laying, and only the one dose), to good effect. The main thing to worry about is that repiles, like many animals can overdose on vitamins very easily.

Moderation I think would definitly be the key here. I can not coment on its use as I have never used it. I have how ever used other supplements on sick or breeding animals, ( normaly given 2nd or 3rd feed after laying, and only the one dose), to good effect. The main thing to worry about is that repiles, like many animals can overdose on vitamins very easily.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back