Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Python Bite?

I have been biten by a 7ft coastal and it didn't hurt so much it was more the fright of it biting. It seems to bleed a lot for some reason. Just what ever u do dont pull away if bitten because u can pull the snakes teeth out and do damage to its mouth.

What no one has bothered to say so far is that most snakes do not want to bite you. The fear of being bitten stems from the ingrained myth that snakes are evil and will bite you if given the chance. In reality, the chances of being bitten by a python are no greater than being being bitten by a cat or a dog. Most people would not hesitate to pat a cat but are petrified of a tiny python. A bit silly isnt it? A cat can give you a much nastier bite than a childrens python for example.
Of course, there are some nasty snakes that will try and bite you. :D

Most people would not hesitate to pat a cat but are petrified of a tiny python

LOL sooooo true , my mate wouldn't touch one of the juv coastals at work because when i got one out he had strike at my hand and my mate just said nup put him back.

What no one has bothered to say so far is that most snakes do not want to bite you.

That's cos that wasn't the question! :lol:

The fear of being bitten stems from the ingrained myth that snakes are evil and will bite you if given the chance.

For me it's a dislike of pain :lol:

In reality, the chances of being bitten by a python are no greater than being being bitten by a cat or a dog.

Well, imo you're probably still more likely to be bitten by an animal that's still essentially wild than a domesticated one but now I'm just being picky ;)

I do agree that cats can give you a much nastier bite than most pythons tho. Even scratches are usually worse. I've had little scratches from kittens that took ages to heal whereas the lovely open mouth shape that the snake teeth holes make just doesn't last long enough :lol: ;)

The worsst snake bite i had was from Steve's 7 foot olive, bite pictured. It was a feeding bite, as the olive thinks my 4 year old daughter is food (I have no idea why, it's not allowed near her), and gets excited if she's in the same room, and goes into feeding mode. She constricted my forearm and latched on to it, most worringly I had a coil also around my neck. She let go after about 30 seconds after chewing a bit and realizing I wasn't edible :) . I agree with Zo, constricting is worse, and also, I prefer a bite from a snake than a shingleback any day- feels like your finger being jammed in a door. Regardless, they both hurt like hell :D

124_2410_IMG.jpg

PHWOAR Nice Nomes!!! You're so tough chicky! That looks painful lol

I think I have been bitten by every species of W.A python except a bhp.

just hope they dont get the joints of your fingers cause that will hurt for a long time afterwards

that is true. I once spent a week in hospital after being bitten by a whipsnake (Demansia psammophis) on the knuckle. One dirty fang resulted in an infection and my knuckle was dissolving away, so they then needed to operate on my finger.

So keep your snakes teeth brushed every night and try to get bitten on the face - just to be safe

Try blowing in the pythons nostrils at different angles, this normally works with most, but dont get to close or ya may lose some lips when they let go and gab ya face.(Had a couple of close calls over the years).
Rob

Yep, lizard bites generally hurt a hell of a lot more. Had strikes from a 14.5 ft olive (lots of blood & swelling, very little pain) and a 10.5 ft scrubby (not too much pain but the subsequent hits were getting pretty uncomfortable!) Hits from juveniles most times aren't even noticable. The worst pain I've had was a food bite from a 9ft proserpine. He was chewing on a tendon, with 6 coils round my hand (still holding the tongs) and arm. It hurt! Constriction by scrubbies isn't really recommended either! Best I can describe bite pain in general is prick yourself with a sewing needle, & imagine that feeling in 20 or so places simultaneously. It hurts way more getting a tattoo!

Re: Nomes bite picture

I am having a little chuckle to myself here, imagining that after this bite, there was no first aid, no panicking, all calm and relaxed about the bite itself........ but there was a mad scramble and hysteria to find the camera to get pics of it.

Ahhhh..... That's what I call a TRUE Herper. Well done Nome

I have never had an infection from a python bite.

The only time any damage gets done is is if the teeth tear sideways. If they release cleanly you usually only get left with a line of dots.

I have never been bitten by something with really long teeth such as a GTP python or a RSP these may do more damage or leave more teeth behind.

Avoiding being bitten is the best option and I am pleased to report that it is quite some time since I have been tagged.

RSP ????

And how much longer are the teeth of a GTP, than a carpet or common types of python???

I got hit fair on the bottom lip by my juvie male coastal, didnt hurt, but i was chatting away to my now ex flatmate at the time and didnt realise my lip looked like a juicy red pinkie rat to the snake and whammo, he hooked on but had nothing to constrict and let go. The worst thing was the shock, i totally forgot i had the snake on my hands while chatting and not paying attention and as i said earlier, whammo, he got me good!! Bled fairly well and i would have sworn he looked at me and smiled once he did it!!! He's fine now, hasnt bitten anyone since inny last copped a few off him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back