Snake room

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yep that looks great...job well done, you must be pleased with that...i would be. love to see pics with the enclosure in it and all set up.

Thanks everyone, shall get some pics once it is set up.

Top job ad,do you have an exhust fan or anything like that and have you thought about a skylight at all?I love the inpenetrable fortress mate :wink:

I also think the same as Jason that if the room is too well insulated it would be hard to cool your animals and having cold temps i think is fine and would've thought it better to get some natural ambient room temp and not so much insulation is needed even for those in Vic and cold as places as long as there is access to a hot spot.Also the perfect answer is what ad has done with reverse cycle air conditioning and heating and you create your own"perfect climate" for certain species.

I'm having a skylight put in to help with natural day lengths as well as for seeing colours in your animals much better.I also let natural air in with good circulation which is perfect for the climate i live in.Look forward to pics of the room full of enclosures you'd be feeling pretty happy with a top job like that...are you going to be able to fit everything in? lol

Hey Browns,
thanks for your input, the room has a large window which i opted for when deciding which side of the garage to do. It lessened tank space a fair bit but I agree it is important to have the natural cycle available for them. I intend just having a pedestal fan up the far end to circulate the air a bit, Im not going to depend too much on the air cond, as brissie temps are fairly kind to pythons. Just wanted that protection for the incubator when it starts getting really hot down here, Had to put ice in and monitor very closely last season. I will get to know the room over time monitoring its temps to the outside conditions etc.
As far as fitting everything in, it is a worry! lol As time goes on Im sure I will fill it.
Cheers
Ad

Looks great ad. I am in the design process of mine in the backyard, will be about 5m x 5m with a smaller 4m x 3m room attached for a rattery.

A fan will help even out the heat but it will actually add heat to the room not take it out.

Fans have cooling effect on warm blooded animals because of the way they help moisture (sweat) evaporate from our skin. This does not apply to reptiles (inside enclosures) who don't sweat. A 100 watt fan will have the same heating effect on a room as a 100 watt light or any other 100 watt heat source.

Been offline since I first posted this message. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Ad, your new snake room looks great. . I suppose that is what I would be aiming for.

In relation to the insulation issue, my collection is currently housed in a room surrounded by double brick walls, without insulation, and the ambient temperature drops to about 15 degrees over winter, so I've never had any issues with cooling in the winter. However, even if the new shed is insulated well, I would like to have a heater/air conditioner to be able to control the ambient temp in the room and just let the thermostats in the individual enclosures do their job. Day time heat in the enclosures would be alright, but night time temps might get a bit too low without insulation.

I haven't started to price building materials and components yet, but I assumed it would cost more than the $2-2.5K people have mentioned, not including security. Now I've just got to keep working on "the boss" and try to sell the whole idea. :) Rock, your setup sounds awesome, but I'd have heaps of trouble selling that idea to the missus as it sounds really expensive, she already thinks I spend too much time and money on my collection :(

They are about yay wide and around so deep. The shelving is dexion ( $12 for a 3.2 mtr length ) with mdf boards.

Oh yeah that wide eh. I was looking for something a tad smaller to construct a bank similar to yours. The dexion is a good idea, I was looking at uni-strut but it would work out too expensive.

I'll prob run a cord under each row but still put the lamps and stats in each enclosure, might use heat tape though it's just that I am not keen on the cords.

Hey Woma's, are those URS viv's modified, they appear to have a single sheet of glass with top fasteners, or is it my eyes?

Cheers
Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back