APS will close the door for while.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think anyone of any worth takes any notice of these people! They are proffessional wingers check there posts if not the mod they are wingingi about something else. Ignore them.

lutzd said:
Dammit! A fella takes a couple of days off and this is what happens!

I just read through all the posts that have been made recently (and moved to the moderators forum) and must say, I'm a tad disgusted!

I don't think a lot of you realise just how much time we (the moderators) put into this site. lately, I haven't been doing too much in forum moderating department..... I've just been processing membership applications. Africa and Greebs have been doing a great job, in my opinion.

Frankly the crap that came out from a few users made me sick. I tend to agree with Slatey - what's the point? We do the job we do because we enjoy the site and want to help. If you could see all the discussions that go on in the moderator's forum you'd know that we usually discuss problems in depth before acting.

I wouldn't mind a 1 week holiday from all this myself! :-( Go for it, Slatey, I say! :-(
:twisted: :twisted: :evil:

Re: RE: APS will close the door for while.

OuZo said:
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm with OuZo all the way on this one.
This is what we get thanx to those people who have nothing better to do than to bag the people who have provided us not only with a place to share valuable knowledge and information, but to make friends too.
Slatey - I don't blame you one bit. If I was paying for this out of my own pocket without so much as a thanks in return, I would be feeling disheartened about the whole thing and would also be tempted to throw in the towel.
The choice is yours mate - and I for one am disappointed that it has to be this way thanx to a minority of members with far too much ungreatful rubbish to say.

I understand appreciate your reasons Slatey Old Man.

There are many who do not appreciate the time and effort that goes in to running any site, let alone a hands on site like this one. People who moderate this site have to read lots and lots of posts... lots of which are very boring... but they have to read them all.

I try not to respond to any negative thread as to do so only fuels the fire. Unfortunately this means that those who I might defend do not get the support they are due. More often than not I do not even bother to read threads once they turn nasty. (I have better things to do.)

For those die hards who suffer for a lack of fix you are welcome to join the OzPythoner mailing list but be warned I manage this list as a sort of benovlent dictatorship and very quickly bar anyone who posts inappropriately.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OzPythoner/join

Hopefully those who mouth of first and ask questions later will learn to think before they post in future.

(As a sugestion: if the number of posts per day by members, or just members with a history of inapproriate posts, were limited to half a dozen or so then this may help make them think a bit before posting.)

Long live APS!

I think a week is too short, you wont be able to get an accurate judgement.

Two weeks would give time for the true feelings to come through the negative recent stuff.
:)

Funny how all the chit chatters suddenly only profess to wanting to talk about reptiles. If the site was only about reptiles it would not be half the place it is.
Your all whining about nothing. If you dont let people vent their spleen occasionally you get constant bickering and narking. There are processes in place and they generally work though sometimes people take liberties, even moderators and owners.
Slatey, if the niggles are getting to you then maybe you should let go completely but if the pleasure outways the anguish then perhaps think again. I just took two weeks off and felt a lot better for in my attitude towards the 99%. I know, we cant all be clever but we have to try and get on with those that aren't
Maybe a weeks break will allow everyone to reflect on what they have done and stop trying to blame everyone else and those that remain or feel they are blameless, well, thats collateral damage for you. Innocent people get hurt. Ask John Howard and Donald Rumsfeld.
Blah blah blah..............
If he done it then he deserves his lumps. Loyalty is a wonderful thing but used poorly and dishonestly most times in my opinion.

I love aps - and I am starting to make some new friends with people with common interests...so it is with sadness that I read this post.

HOWEVER - I can understand why you feel the way you do. Its your site. And you have put up with more that I would have.

(BUT I think you will find that the majority of people couldn't be bothered posting in negative and pointless threads that are :
a. clearly going no where and
b. stiring the poo.

so I do hope that you reconsider or atleast pospone it till the end of August when I shall be away :wink:)

i say boot the problem makers off. more herp talk, less complaining i think you all do a good job and have no complaints at all, and if i did have any problem (which i havent yet) i would just pm a mod and talk to them instead of openly complaining to everyone.

Personally I think afro is a damn good moderator. I have never had a problem with any of the mods. aps is a damn good site with good people running it. If you have a problem with the way it's run just leave or don't complain. You are not paying them to use their site or to moderate it, they do it all for FREE!!!

Andrew
your right andrew and the real sad thing isnt the temporary closure as as much as the fact that the site has become a place that is an embarasment..
personally i can see an upside to a few days without aps,,i may even spend some time getting reaquainted with the family,
they grow up so quick :)

don't do it slateman

It would be a shame to deprive most members who use this excellent site because of a minority who have possibly lost sight of the reason this site is here, because we love pythons. I think this is a very informative site and I log to it almost every day. If the moderators, organisers and financiers don't like the 'trouble makers' you have the ability to get rid of them and let the site continue as is.

Cheers Fleg

Jan ive been a member here for years & seen a hell of alot of crap & yes been involved in alot of it myself,you seem to think we are just here to bag & criticise which is far from the reason most is done.Inny has summed it up for me & if you read afro is involved in 90% of the crap,when was the last time you seen lutzy complained about?Or how bout the beautiful nicole?petersrescue?earthmother?amigad or even ol fuscus?It is definately not these moderators & for me david is a credit to the site & i wish there were more following in his footsteps.If you think i criticise this site cause i dont like it then your wrong its just the double standards over the years that make you go oh well whats the point!!!!!!!

cheers popp :p

Frankly the crap that came out from a few users made me sick. I tend to agree with Slatey - what's the point? We do the job we do because we enjoy the site and want to help. If you could see all the discussions that go on in the moderator's forum you'd know that we usually discuss problems in depth before acting.

There is a point becuase the vast majority are extremely happy with the site - I for one have learned heaps relating to herps in the last 3 months. I must say that I have taken the administration requirements you guys are putting in for granted - sorry. But forget the negatives and look at what led to the mods getting bagged out for....They got bagged for moderating (which is their role) a prat who was hanging it on a fellow member for being generous. Look at the great things that are happening - the generousity, the sharing of knowledge and all the great stuff that comes from this online community - surely that out ways the indescretions of a few drunks and paranoid anarchists?

Hey slatey maybe just leave the site open but no threads alowed just so we can look over older threads and get some reading in! Then there is no rubbish goin on but ppl still have access to for sale ads and reading over the more relevant HERP threads we used to have here!

Out of all the herp sites I have found on the net, this one is by far the most informative one around. Since I signed up with this site, I have learnt alot more then what I could have by reading books. It would be very upsetting to lose such an informative site. If this site does close down I would like to thank everyone that has made it possable to keep it running. Good job everyone.

Craig.

This is a top site. I even find the bickering amusing...i like the intimidating sadge who can't post without scaring people with his scinetificalese, i like the rock and his thermostats, and the members i have met in person and traded stuff with have been nice people.
It would be a shame if the site had a break. My sons would enjoy having the computer back but what if i need some advice or i need to buy some more snakes i can't afford???
what a bummer

Well I don't know how but I have managed to not hit submit on many of the recent nasty threads and sat back and thought what a load of dribble(mind you very entertaining). I admit I sometimes stir a bit but try to keep it far from nasty. I have had my posts altered in the past by a mod to make me look stupid but was quite derserved so I just had a chuckle. The site is great and also full of rubbish , sometimes people post stuff they regret and normally they get flogged anyway. I honestly think if everyone just mellowed (or had a scoob daily) a bit more when arguments broke out , and didnt take it to heart to much it would be great. I love reading the reptile posts but also reading the arguing posts are part of the fun for me. Instar and sherm if the site and mods annoy you that much why not take up knitting , then I wont have to play solataire for a week :eek:
Cheers Stevo
ps .....i suck at solataire so dont shut the joint down

LMAO, I knit lil beanies for lizards when im not here! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back