Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are all for buying my new Krefft's Longnecks? I also have some Shingletongues and a Bearded Water Dragon, Red Belly King Browns and a Childrens Adder.
Keep it pure i reckon. Let the OS vannkers do what they like with our snakes. Our native snakes should be conserved not exploited

i have no problem with cross breeding i think if a snake is able to breed then its ok with me. i like some of the mixes that have been made in the states and outher country's and also i would have no problem buying a cross breed snake
now ill put on the blind fold and stand with my back to the wall as i get shot down but hay its my opinion and im sticking to it 8)

People are just against it because the morph boom has not happened here yet!!! It will happen. Have this discussion 5 years from now and see how attitudes have changed. I am preparing myself for a major evolution in the reptile industry over the next few years. People will sober up quickly when they have been left behind in the reptile trade. All it takes is to visit overseas and to go and look what is happening there. Lets just say Doc Rock had some vision a few years ago when he started his breeding projects. My opinion of course!

MH, you have just come closer to changing my opinion on the subject than anyone else ever has. You did not say much, (in volume), but gave me a hell of a lot of food for thought! Hmmmmmm.

Morelia_Hunter said:
Have this discussion 5 years from now and see how attitudes have changed.

I've only got another 12 months to wait. I've been hearing the same argument for 4 years now.

Sorry folks
But to say cape yorks are atherton cross coastal is completely misleading. Cape york is a huge area and carpet pythons are found right throughout. How does a Cape York carpet cross with a Atherton way up the North end of the Cape? Cape York carpets are coastals found in many morphs depending upon what part of the Cape they come from. Carpets found from the base of Cape York eg: Mutchilba , Dimbulah etc very much look like a representation of both Athertons and coastals which is really not surprising considering the Tablelands are only down the road. I personally don't consider this form to be a Cape York carpet but many people do. But think about this, would you really call the town of Mereeba Cape york ? You wouldn't. So why would you call carpets from that general area Cape Yorks ?

I think pilbara that the cape yorks being spoken about are not the wild ones but a line originated from a guy in darwin. I am certainly referring to that line as they are very unique in appearance compared to the wild ones.

nigmax owns this snake

t_p1010520e.jpg

it's a cape york. my q is what species is it?

morelia variegata as most were reffered to in the past and still are in some states so no wonder nonintentioal hybrids are bred,the pic above is from a multi generation line and has been around for years have a look on URS.

With the issue of crossbreeding if certain species are able to breed at all and produce viable offspring it means that the animals have evolved from a common ancestor not too long ago. The fact that carpets of different regions are interbreedable is because they are all carpet pythons just with differing patterns from different areas. If you cross to pure bred dogs they produce vaible pups. Couples from different racial backgrounds produce kids. All in all interbreeding different colour types of pythons will produce animals of varying colours they are all still healthy pythons, some will look good getting the better genetics for colouring some will look plain getting a poorer mix of genes (not less healthy just not looing as good to us the breeders). We should worry more about inbreeding than interbreeding. Just my view with a viewpoint for healthy attractive animals.

munkee said:
With the issue of crossbreeding if certain species are able to breed at all and produce viable offspring it means that the animals have evolved from a common ancestor not too long ago. The fact that carpets of different regions are interbreedable is because they are all carpet pythons just with differing patterns from different areas. If you cross to pure bred dogs they produce vaible pups. Couples from different racial backgrounds produce kids. All in all interbreeding different colour types of pythons will produce animals of varying colours they are all still healthy pythons, some will look good getting the better genetics for colouring some will look plain getting a poorer mix of genes (not less healthy just not looing as good to us the breeders). We should worry more about inbreeding than interbreeding. Just my view with a viewpoint for healthy attractive animals.
Well said

Hi All,
Cape York carpets are not hybrids.
This is how the hybrid thing started. I got several juvenile Cape York carpets from a fellow in Darwin and after a coulple of weeks I asked the fellow where they originated from as they were not what I consider "proper Cape Yorker's" he informed me that the snakes had a male atherton carpet grandfather and they were not pure. After hearing this I gave two to tremain and two to o'bee but told them they were good pets but not be breed with them. Whether they did or not I do not know!
Brian

BROWNS said:
morelia variegata as most were reffered to in the past and still are in some states so no wonder nonintentioal hybrids are bred,the pic above is from a multi generation line and has been around for years have a look on URS.

Browns,
So are you saying that in your opinion the cape york carpet represented in 'Nigimax's' pic and the URS ones are cross breeds, but multi-generational??

I have spoken to another experienced breeder of these, and they have disagreed, stating that they are just a locality variant of 'McDowelli' as I first believed.

Please let us know if you have any hard facts to back up your claims, I would genuniely like to establish the facts either way.

Thanks Neil

bwana said:
Hi All,
Cape York carpets are not hybrids.
This is how the hybrid thing started. I got several juvenile Cape York carpets from a fellow in Darwin and after a coulple of weeks I asked the fellow where they originated from as they were not what I consider "proper Cape Yorker's" he informed me that the snakes had a male atherton carpet grandfather and they were not pure. After hearing this I gave two to tremain and two to o'bee but told them they were good pets but not be breed with them. Whether they did or not I do not know!
Brian

Brian,
That clears things up somewhat.
When did you get these snakes, and how long has this 'Hybrid' thing been circulating and ill-informing people?

Neil

I know for fact Tremain hasn't been able to get his to breed and the line has been comtinued by many others from other breeders but this has obviously woken quite a few people up regarding hybrids they didn't even know.

How are they not hybrids if they aren't pure?If this is in anway illegal as i have been informed i will not freeze the eggs.What about the albino boom,are none going to be able to be bred to anything other than darwins and the gene pool will be too muddled up in time to trace?I guess this will hit the people who are supposedly going to be left behind in the herp trade.Some people just keep and aren't missing out on anything at all,they just want a pwt python,some want to breed and never do and some breed and do well.This is a pretty big thing seeing as we're about to be hit by the morph wave now albinos are around most likely humping right now???????

Yet the QLD government is still determined not to have hybrids. Do you think they'l evolve with some ppl's opinions of hybrids? And just a question, if a clutch of snakes were hybrids (for eg an albino whateva and jungle) and the offspring put back to a jungle, each generation till you have an animal that appears albino but pure jungle. is that animal still classified as a hybrid even though after numerous generations the blood would be considered 100% jungle? Just curious cos I don't know about this in much depth.
Dee.

And just a question, if a clutch of snakes were hybrids (for eg an albino whateva and jungle) and the offspring put back to a jungle, each generation till you have an animal that appears albino but pure jungle. is that animal still classified as a hybrid even though after numerous generations the blood would be considered 100% jungle? Just curious cos I don't know about this in much depth.
Dee.
Simple answer is no , they'll never be pure but can obviously look pure as you point out.

Cheers - just curious. I guess there's no real way of knowing whether most snakes any1 purchases are pure or not than. Other than going by word. The same thing has happened in the bird world, in the near future the 'original' birds - not morphs, are going to be worth more than the 'hybrids/morphs' as its so hard now to get pure blood in some species of parrots - that's sad I find ( as most big breeders sell their original pure blooded animals to breed the morphs as ther is more money and popularity in doing so.) And its not like theres enough honest ppl out there in either bird or snake world who will actually tell you whether the animals has a cross in its blood generations ago.
Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back