Warning! Gross pics, not for the faint hearted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EEEWWWWW!!

Note to self - Don't get bitten by Rattlesnake!!

Such a great story of recovery, yet not one thankyou or acknowledgement to the wonderful medical staff that did all the work...Hmmmm.

Oh well, you get that on the big jobs.

Interesting photos.

A couple of things I noted from the story:

He said "I was sitting on a small boulder ...... I had my arms dangling at my side" when the rattler bit him - usually they rattle before biting. In fact, they rattle before you are anywhere near them (or so I've been told).

Also, he doesn't mention any first aid whatsoever, and I'm curious to know if the symptoms he decribed are what happens with no first aid. Was he given antivenom or not?

:p

Hix

it really shows you how deadly some snakes venoms are hey.....my god

That looks really really fake to me it looks like a plastic arm..does it to anyone else?

Its the real deal Danw. They wash your arm before they operate. Thats why it has that yellow hue.

WOW!!
I didn't read the story - just looked at the pics. The second that I start to take in the fact that it's REAL I started to get a bit icky. But by looking at it and telling myself that it's a dummy - it's VERY interesting!

Wow. Holy Cow. I bet that hurt! Reckon this bloke's got an addiction to morphine now? lol

Such a great story of recovery, yet not one thankyou or acknowledgement to the wonderful medical staff that did all the work...Hmmmm.

I agree, after all that work, and all those hours, not one mention of the Dr's or staff. If that had been me, I would be SOOoooo glad to have a team like that there to help.

But, as you say Teamsherman, you get that on the big jobs.

Ouch!! That had to hurt.
Thank god for medics...isn't it amazing what they can do with a few stweezers and stitching. And thank god for insurance....$700,000...my goodness me!

alby said:
it really shows you how deadly some snakes venoms are hey.....my god

Just remember - the doctors did that to his arm, not the venom. They opened it up because of the swelling (presumably an oedema or similar), the venom killed some flesh but it didn't open up his hand and arm.

The following photos are of lesions caused by the venom of a Malayan Pit Viper (top) and an Indochinese Spitting Cobra, showing extensive necrosis.

fig28.jpg

fig28a.jpg

The following photos are of injuries sustained from Malayan Pit Vipers sometime previously.

fig36.jpg

fig36a.jpg

This last one is a squamous cell carcinoma developing on a Malayan Pit Viper bite site eight years after the bite!!!

fig37.jpg

I won't post any pics, but Russell's Viper bites are known to cause testicular atrophy.

Photos are from the World Health Organisation's website.

:p

Hix

I might be wrong, but i heard on the "herpvine" (the much faster version of the grapevine) a few years back that a keeper at ARP recieved a rather nasty bite from a Western Diamondback rattler.
I heard that alot of crotalid antivenom was sent via helicopter from various zoos to the hospital in Gosford.
Anyone care to verify it?

-H

Yeah that was a great link thanks for sharing that with us :)

Because I work at the hospital casually as a wardsman, I see that sort of stuff all the time :)

As Teamsherman and Hix pointed out, the article is lacking. Both in acknowledgement towards the medical teams that got him his arm/hand back, but also lacking the start.

We are told he was bitten, then travelled 4 hours, helicoptered out, arm was swollen enough to cut, but there are no pics of any of this. Hikers in the woods have cameras and in this day and age of digital, lots of them. :p

I wonder if that page was actually created for a purpose, such as training new medical staff or something. As all the pics were taken during surgeries and all the talk/description is of the surgeries.

deathinfire or anyone else, have you seen that level of localised trauma and tissue damage from australian snake bites?

Nephrurus said:
I might be wrong, but i heard on the "herpvine" (the much faster version of the grapevine) a few years back that a keeper at ARP recieved a rather nasty bite from a Western Diamondback rattler.
I heard that alot of crotalid antivenom was sent via helicopter from various zoos to the hospital in Gosford.
Anyone care to verify it?

-H

All Im willing to say is do they still have a slight lisp.
If they didnt make it public then who knows.

I guess you're right Peter. I'm guessing the guy survived without major injury, otherwise it would have been on Ray Martin.... "These foreign snakes, coming to our country, forming gangs and killing our tax payers... Our secret cameras show how they gave this woman cellulite, but now they want it back..." well, maybe not exactly that, but you get the idea.
These institutions have such well drilled saftery procedures that this guy would have antivenom into his bloodstream within a few seconds of getting bitten.

-H

Well that certainly added a distinct tang to my steak and mushroom pie :wink:

rattler

Wrasse said:
As Teamsherman and Hix pointed out, the article is lacking. Both in acknowledgement towards the medical teams that got him his arm/hand back, but also lacking the start.

We are told he was bitten, then travelled 4 hours, helicoptered out, arm was swollen enough to cut, but there are no pics of any of this. Hikers in the woods have cameras and in this day and age of digital, lots of them. :p

I wonder if that page was actually created for a purpose, such as training new medical staff or something. As all the pics were taken during surgeries and all the talk/description is of the surgeries.

Tend to agree looks more like a teaching aid as you said the story lacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back