Awesome New Zealand Gecko's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they are cool for sure. They look awesome do you know how big thry get?

From memory the ones I used to keep were about 7 inches total length but there are a few different species of green gecko's in New Zealand and therefore they probably vary. An interesting thing about them is that they are live bearers and have the longest gestation period of any gecko in the world, up to a year.

Pilbara,
They are amazing, very impressive geckos, I have ever seen a picture of these before.
What sort of habitat are they found in? Are they the same colour as adults or do they change as they mature?
How many young would one typically give birth to?

Neil

Neil
I have never known these gecko's to have any more than two in a litter but I could be wrong in assuming that this is thier maximum number. As far as the young changing thier colour as they mature I have not noticed any significant differences. You do occassionally find specimens that are completely yellow and they are unbelievable and have the same intense fluro look that babys Condros exhibit except with the gecko's, they stay that colour.
As far as habitat goes they are usually found in low tea tree scrub and are unfortuantely under threat due to scrub cutters that cut it down to clear land.

hmm only reason i would want to move to newzealand, funky geckos!

whats their licencing situation like?

slackra
My understanding is that as reptiles are now protected fauna in New Zealand you need a licence to hold them.
It is how ever not legal to sell them and they are usually just given away by breeders to new keepers that are licenced. When I kept them 35 years ago they were not then protected and I caught my own and including species that were back then not yet known. In those days it was rare to find any body that kept them and also in my area rare to find them in the wild.

PilbaraPythons said:
Neil
I have never known these gecko's to have any more than two in a litter but I could be wrong in assuming that this is thier maximum number. As far as the young changing thier colour as they mature I have not noticed any significant differences. You do occassionally find specimens that are completely yellow and they are unbelievable and have the same intense fluro look that babys Condros exhibit except with the gecko's, they stay that colour.
As far as habitat goes they are usually found in low tea tree scrub and are unfortuantely under threat due to scrub cutters that cut it down to clear land.

Thanks for the info, They have got to be the best looking gecko that I have seen, and I have seen alot of exotic's!
I hope the NZ goverment protects them from habitat destruction, it would be an increadible loss if they were to disappear.

Neil

They are supposed to be some of the most sort after geckos world wide, the south island golds are one of the worlds rarest. Awsome animals. Then again all us kiwis are awsome animals. :lol:

It ain't easy being green ;-)

I suppose you expect that sort of camo colouration in a diurnal species.

They look spectacular.

Love geckos!

They are great gecko's to exhibit as they become extremely tame quickly and don't seem to want to hide. When I would enter the room and open the small feeding hatch they would all scramble over to my hand and take white butterflys from it. If I could keep these legally over here I would be a very happy soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back