Python Keeping Laws - WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DmA

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a quick one. Im wondering if anyone here knows anything about the laws in Western Australia.
The lady who I got my Murray Darling from mentioned something about the laws over there saying that I wouldn't be able to take him with me when/if I move to Perth because his species isn't native to the area. Can anyone clarify this or point me to somewhere who can?
I really dont want to have to sell him..
Thanks
Daniel.

sorry mate but it looks like you will have to sell him maybe pilbarapythons or westaussie can explain in more detail to you about there laws on reptile ownership

Bad news buddy. Unfortunately you can't bring into W.A any pythons of any sort. I think that the only exceptions are with traveling Reptile Displays or transfers to W.A zoo's.

Oh thats so mean. Looks like the girlfriend is going to have to find another university to study at then.
Thanks heaps for your help guys.

Does this apply if we move from WA. Are we allowed to take our reptiles interstate if we move?

You are not allowed to bring your pet pythons in to this state period. It doesn't matter if they were even purchased from W.A. or endemic to this state. It might sound harsh but this is C.A.L.Ms rules and thats that.

Hey Pilbara are you allowed to import lizards there, or is nothing allowed in?

Lizards can be imported, but only lizards that are on the list that C.A.L.M have ( at this point of time ) deemed to be suitable as pet herptefauna in W.A. There are in total 41 species which covers both reptiles and amphibians.

Does this apply if we move from WA. Are we allowed to take our reptiles interstate if we move?

From what i gather, yes you can take reptiles with you if you move from WA. You would need to get a license in your new home state first and export/import them to yourself. Pilbabra Pythons was telling me the other day that it costs $200+ for an export permit (or similar) from WA. Add to this the cost of your new license and import permit and you would find it is going to cost you around $300 i would guess.

One thing i'm uncertain of however, is can just anyone get an export permit in WA, or is it only specially licensed persons...? Perhaps Pilbara can clarify.

The export permit cost's $ 180 ( $ 30 application fee, $ 150 ' privelage ' fee to do it ) period. Some in WA are charging more because of the distance they live from airport's or freight terminals to cover their expenses which i believe is fair enough if it's a 2 hour + round trip.

Those person's holding a Dealers, Farmers or Keepers can apply for an export permit. Keepers can export their herps themselves to themselves in another state provided they hold the correct license.

Catch 22: If the state you are moving to has commercial licenses eg SA, VIC, QLD, then a keeper cannot export their animals to themselves unless they hold that commercial license, as it states on the keepers license pet herps can only be sold / given / disposed of to a licensed DEALER.

Keepers are restricted to ONE ONLY SALE ( in WA or out ) of unwanted / excess herps of ONE SPECIES per calender year eg keeper breeds 2 pairs stimo's, sw carpets, and bearded dragons. Keeper can only sell the clutch from ONE PAIR of those stimo's, carpets or beardeds to a DEALER only, with the remaining animals either being kept, given away to dealer or euthanised.

At no point can a keeper transfer / sell / give any herps to another keeper legally.

Mr Bredli
You are incorrect in saying that I told you that the export permit would be $200 plus. Please be a bit more careful when you state what you think we have told you as it could make out to others that we are not playing fair. To jog your memory here is the pm I sent you last week quoting the export price.

Hi Brendon
It costs $180 for C.A.L.Ms export fee per consignment up to 5 animals + frieght which is usually about $35.
The reason you won't see any animals on our web site is that we have only just begun construsting the site, hense the extreme lack of content.I am curious though how you knew about the web site as I haven't told any one about it because it wasn't ready yet.
Cheers Dave
P.S Since you have already seen our site, if you have got any construstive criticism I would like to hear it please as we want to make it an interesting site to visit.

Sorry... Perhaps i should have wrote "it would cost ME $200+ to have something exported from Pilbara to myself". Even so, taking away the cost of freight i was only $20 off. No need to get your knickers in a knot...

Web site looks very nice pilbara pythons. And thanks to yourself and others who gave info on export from WA. Not that I'd leave this great state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back