Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
im about to get a baby monitor from a pet shop in melbourne, mainly cause i can find any breeders or any available in sydney. has any body ever got any herps from petshops? if so have you ever had any problems. i have seen pictures and the baby looks healthy, and i am told it is a great feeder and handle well, should i be worried about anything?

Which petshop is it?

Upmarket Pets in melbourne.

I haven't heard good things from people buying reptiles from shop. Always seems the animals are kept in ****y conditions. I wouldn't buy from a pet shop.

thats why i worry, but the pics seem healthy and the guys seem noligable.

has any body been to this pet store?

Jason, It depends a lot on the petshop. Unfortunately I have never been to the one you mentioned. I deal with a petshop in Frankston, Bunarong Aquarium, which is excellent. The animals are always in excellent conditions and the staff and after sale care is top notch.

the guys on the phone seem to know what they are talking bout, in terms of what they feed it, and its activity level, when i was on the phone, i could here quite alot of custimers, so i figure they must be a good pet shop, and they take up a couple of shops. i would like to post pictures of the monitor they sent me, but i dont think i can due to it not being mine yet.

Jason,

You are in great hands if you are buying from Upmarket. Adam who is in charge of the reptiles cares for all of the animals there like they are his own. He himself keeps many many reptiles and I have seen pictures of them all and let me tell you, I have never seen so many happy healthy snakes/monitors/geckos/dragons/frogs. In other words, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just out of curiosity, which one of the monitors are you getting? Last time I was there (last week!) they were all having a feed and they looked so happy.

Michelle :mrgreen:

I've been there. Their enclosures were relativly clean, they had an extremely emaciated black headed monitor and a lace monitor juvie in a 3 foot enclosure with only just enough room to move. Apart from these animals the place was ok. However personally I would not buy animals from there unless I was desperate. What goanna is it? How does the picture look?

Kikkers_mum- you just made me very happy, adam is the guy i am dealing and talking with most. i am getting the baby sand monitor, i will post some pictures maby tomorro when i talk to him and ask permition to, but it is very cool looking little monitor. thanks.

sobrien:
the monitor is only about 25cm and is a hatchy sand monitor (varanus gouldii) and the pictures look good and the monitor looks healthy, and very alert.

well if it's a good price i'd go for it mate! just be sure to show us what it looks like :p :D

thanks guys, i will post some pics tomorro that the shop emailed me until then if you want to see the pic, here is a link to trading post, go into "pets and livestock" then type in sand monitor and select VIC as state and the add will come up with the picture........ http://www.tradingpost.com.au

hiya jason, i was in upmarket pets about a week ago. The monitors looked ok, but the ppl that work in there i dont like. a frined of mine brought a scorpian from them and they couldnt tell him what sort of scorpian it was, told him it was a great feeder and always running around but it rarely eats and does nothing but hide under a rock he has in there. One person i can recommend for reptiles and he will ship to you is roy pails at pails for scales, you may pay a bit more for it but you pay for the quality of the animal.
good luck
cheers
lisa and al

i can highly recomend bunarong aquarium i just got my female coastal from there and she is a champion they realy look after there animals there but they don't have any sandies also try craigs critters he had some sandies for sale www.craigscritters.com.au

thats exactly what scorpions do, if he wants one that is always out buy a mounted one.

thats exactly what scorpions do, if he wants one that is always out buy a mounted one.
i was thinking that, but i understand what they were trying to say.......lol

thanks westhamsc i will take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back