upgrading license class in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyror

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question for those knowledgable regarding licensing.

Currently i own a class 1 RKL (in NSW) and would like to upgrade to a basic class 2 license (no endorsement for keeping vens). For those of you who have been through this before, how do you go about upgrading your license. My current license doesn't expire until the end of 2008.

Any helpful ideas/tips would be much appreciated!

Ben.

send a letter to the DEC at hurstville detailing your request with the 30 bucks (i think its 30) and you'll have your class 2 licence within a fortnight. youre upgrade doesnt effect the expiry date

as long as you've kept class 1 animals for 2 years... and u dont want to keep venomous, yes. easy as pie.

what if you'v only been keeping lizards, does that matter??

Thanks mate.

PS> sorry if i have hijacked your thread pyror.

hey man you dont need to send any money they just add up the time off ur class1 and add it to class2 but it will xpire much earlier as pay rates are differant appart from that just write them deatails from ur class 1 and add how long you have had it and your age aswell and send it takes 2 weeks..

got mine last week easy as pie

cheers ben... :)

Hey Pyror, why don't you just speak to the Parks and Wildlife people - they're not ogres.

Upgrade to Class 2 - NVS is easy for most people if they held a Class 1 for over 2 years and are over the age of 18. However, if you have only held lizards and your intention is to get Class 2 snakes, when you have had no previous experience with snakes, the answer will probably be that you demonstrate expertise with class 1 snakes first. Likewise, if you intend to get Frills and have had no previous experience with other dragons you might get a similar request to demonstrate that you will competently manage the Frills. Etc etc.

To summarise, to get a class 2 licence you must be over 18 years of age, should have held a licence for not less than 2 years, and need to be able to demonstrate the development of relevant expertise to manage Class 2 animals - because most of them are more difficult to keep than Class 2 species.

JeffHardy said:
Hey Pyror, why don't you just speak to the Parks and Wildlife people - they're not ogres.

Upgrade to Class 2 - NVS is easy for most people if they held a Class 1 for over 2 years and are over the age of 18. However, if you have only held lizards and your intention is to get Class 2 snakes, when you have had no previous experience with snakes, the answer will probably be that you demonstrate expertise with class 1 snakes first. Likewise, if you intend to get Frills and have had no previous experience with other dragons you might get a similar request to demonstrate that you will competently manage the Frills. Etc etc.

To summarise, to get a class 2 licence you must be over 18 years of age, should have held a licence for not less than 2 years, and need to be able to demonstrate the development of relevant expertise to manage Class 2 animals - because most of them are more difficult to keep than Class 2 species.

Does this mean, someone like myself who has only kept beardies and a small monitor, but would like a class 2 lisence to keep frillies, and mertens or boyds and the like...
May be able to get a class 2 quite easily, but would have conditions put in place so that i couldnt keep class 2 snakes until i kept class 1 snakes first??

I just thought once you had the lisence, you would be free to get what you like in that class....

Thanks for your help...

Gilleni said:
I just thought once you had the lisence, you would be free to get what you like in that class....

thats the jist of it. i have a class 2 licence so i can go buy a perentie if i like, despite the fact i have no experience with varanids.

im not cutting down npws, just stating a fact

Gilleni and basketcase - yes, you are both right and I don't mind you "cutting down NPWS" in a situation like this. The example is a known anomaly in the current system that is unlikely to be fixed for some time. But then again I don't think it is much of a serious issue to get all excited about. Our current basic database system will be replaced in mid 2006 with a more sophisticated system that can, among many ather things, keep track of specific restrictive conditions that are placed on individual licences and automatically produce "exception" reports that canbe followed up quite easily. It will be at that time that we can be more resrictive with licence condition if that is necessary.

Hi Jeff,

Since originally posting this, i have been in contact with Parks and Wildlife, and i definately do not think you guys are ogres!
Basically the information that i was given was the same as that which you have provided.

Thanks everyone for your input. The process is much clearer now.

I'll post here, and let you know how things go.

i to am wanting a class two and ive had snakes for three yrs and dragons for almost two (20months) what age do you have to be or doesnt it matter?

Well as you might tell from my wanted ads, i was approved (yay :) )

...and now to deplete my funds...

JeffHardy said:

:lol: there you go Jason

cheers

whytwolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back