Mitchell's monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skunk

Reaction score
hi, was just wonderin if anyone had any good info regarding keeping the Mitchell's monitor? iv found some stuff bout them but would like to hear from ppl who have kept these monitors.

what are they like ? in terms of behaviour.

any helpfull info would be very much appreciated !

cheers

These are fantastic monitors to keep! I kept a trio of juveniles which I raised for about 5 months before I had to sell my collection. I kept them in a black plastic tub from Bunnings that I filled with sand. In the enclosure I placed another plastic container which was their "pond" for swimming...in this pond I had an aquarium heater maintaining the water temperature at 25 degrees. I also had a simple little water pump (one as used for a small water feature...about $14 from Bunnings) and ran that out of the enclosure through a hose then back into the water...just so the water was not still...they seemed much more comfortable using the water when it was running.

Hot spot of 50 degrees celcius and up...they love to climb....

Great monitors....eat like machines....I found the juvies could be aggressive towards each other at feed time so watch out for that....

Simon Archibald

monitors

thanks heaps simon !! i shoulda known ud beable to help with info !

iv read that theyr shy in captivity & will hide alot, is this true ?

Yeah semi-true...mine would sorta skit a bit when you walked into the room...but would settle down after a coupla mins would be out and about with me watching them no problems.

Simon Archibald

cant keep them in vic as far as i know. but did see one in a pet shop today so maybe laws have changed otherwise they have it illegally.

illegally. what on earth is a pet shop doing illegally keeping animals.

Great monitors, can be a little skittish though, I have an adult trio in a 6ftx3ftx3ft aquarium divided through the middle with a glass divider 1ft deep with waterfall, water heater and large cannister filter, mine feed on mice,roaches, roo mince with calcium and eggs.
Mine don't enjoy being handled at all and will not hesitate to bite if given the chance. But are great display animals if given ample space and plenty of room to move/swim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back