new stimson

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtosnakes

Reaction score
I have just bought my first python, 8month old stimson (not sure of sex) however am still a bit worried about how to go about getting him out of his enclosure. Had him out this morning with no probs, but now as soon as i open the door he heads straight under his water bowl to get away. will i stress him out if i keep chasing him or is it better to just get him and hope he doesn't tag me.... :?

just leave him alone fow about a week to let him settle down then try again.

welcome 2 the site do u have any pics of ur new snake

oh he'll tag you at some stage. :D gonna happen sooner or later, on the up side a young stimmi or spotted is more of a shock that actual pain. I'm at about 14 bites from spotted pythons in the last 15 months, 12 of those bites occured when I was calming the two down to begin with.
A hook helps getting them out with less panic, don't handle him more than every second day or so I hand mine out several times a day when I first had him and not sure if it was the best thing to have done in hindsight. They are good species the anteresia.

I wouldn't worry about it moving away. Being picked up is not normal for a reptile. I have some animals we have had for two years that still do this, some even press themselves against the sides of the hide rock, wedging themselves in. Your stimo may never stop doing it, but it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. If it isn't giving you defensive behaviour ie pulling back into a strike pose, or biting you, then it will be fine if not handled excessively. You may just have to become adept at unwinding and unwedging your animal to handle it.

personally Id just leave it alone full stop. some snakes will actually get sick from being handled to much and even die from the ordeal. stress.

The Rock said:
personally Id just leave it alone full stop. some snakes will actually get sick from being handled to much and even die from the ordeal. stress.

I disagree with not holding the reptile at all. Perhaps once a week. I believe you learn alot about the animal when holding it.

Sorry, Ive got to agree with the rock on this one. Whenever I sell a snake to a new comer I let them know straight away that it is possible to love your snake to death by getting it out and stressing it out all the time. Personally mine only ever get handled when I'm cleaning thier cages.

My snakes enjoy coming out and exploring dosent seem to make any difference stresswise
I have one that slides out to see me when i open the door and also i can pick them up and help them shed without any problems .

I handle mine approximately once per week, if not a little longer. I too think that they like to come out and explore a little, whilst getting a bit of exercise every now and then. 8)

i tend to handle mine only when need be like cleaning cages or seperating at feeding, some snakes can handle being handled all the time and some can't. they all have minds of their own and no 2 are ever alike

i have had my stmsoni for 5 months has never bitten or tried i handle her 2-3 times a week. whats the fun if you cant handle it. leave it till after his/her first feed a week.
dont mean to offend

Well, thanks to all for the advice, i have left him alone for the last 2 days and he is due for a feed tomorrow anyway, so it will be a few days before i try him again. :lol:
i will take some pics and post them up so i can get opinions on him.

Well, thought i would give you all an update. Had him out yesterday and although he was a bit flighty to actually get out of his enclosure, once out he was perfectly calm and investigated all of my arms and discovered the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back