WA BHP hype?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffler

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, there has been alot of hype over WA BHP's and people talk about the B&W ones. Well most of the pics of WA ones I've seen are no different to most QLD and NT ones. Sure there is the Bumble Bee and some B&w's but the vast majority are no better than other locations. Can someone show me a pic of what a true B&W looks like?

Here's a pic of a NT form that is nearly B&W, is this the same look as a B&W WA?
I'm not looking to put down WA BHP's, far from it, just looking to get the facts and keeping it real.

re WA

The B&W bhps that Pilbara Pythons have are getting close to B&W stiffler,and they are a dam good looker in my oppinion,dave had a little female B&W for sale a time back,a little stunner! :D

stiffler- that maybe close looking to a WA bhp, but on the other hand it is nothing like the real thing. until u have seen the juvie WA bhp born in cativie IMO u have no idea.

So thats the question iceman. What is the difference between the photo I posted and a B&W WA? Also the B&W is not the typical WA BHP from what I have seen. The B&W seems to be the pinacle in WA BHP's, the average ones don't appear to be much better than the typical QLD and NT.
Who knows, maybe alot of BHP's been passed of as WA anrn't infact WA's? Thats why im asking.

Dave and Adrian from pilbara pythons are the men to ask this question to.

Heres a pic of my B&W adult female, she's a NT, they are nice but they don't have that crisp contrast that the WA's have but as said not all BHPs in WA are that nice.

SNAKES385.jpg

Personally the nice B&W from WA don't do that much for me and i prefer nice orange QLDs and NTs but thats just me.
They will be something i will get one they are being captive bred enough, plus i have enough BHPs for now and want other things :)

The guys from WA will be able to post plenty of pics of very nice WAs.

Good question and well asked stiffler.

Firstly, one main difference beween the photo you posted and the western bhps i've had and caught is that the bands on all i've seen here have a greater contrast to the body colour without the overspray look like the one pictured, as shown in the photo's i'll post.
Secondly, i have yet to see ( disclaimer: i have not seen all there is out there ) a western bhp from western WA with red colouring in the bands, although i've seen one from the north eastern kimberley with it. Even then the bands were still black with a slight red tinge and the odd redish scale on the edges of the banding.

Other than that, i can't point out any other differences that i've seen first hand or in emailed photo's. The photo's below will show what i call average patterning and colour ( although there is quite a bit of variation ), and also a stunner B+W female i hope one day to acquire offsping from.

I guess WA is a big place and BHP's close to the NT border will, in most cases, bear similar apperances to the NT ones. I also understand that the pilbra area is quite unique and it carries the best examples of WA BHP's. Basically not all WA BHP's are created equal and only a very few of them are true B&W's.
Now don't get me wrong, the average NT and QLD BHP are excellent animals and are my fav python, but it appears that people are selling them just on the WA name alone.
Oh, and please post any pics of WA BHP's you can :)

Overall, i feel the majority of differences are minor. All areas have average, poor and excellent specimens, but in the end they're still just bhp's. Cheers

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought Womas. I saw a WA BHP male advertised a while back for over $3K. Man, if I paid $3k for a male BHP I would expect him to at least be able to fill up his own water bowl. :shock:

re WA

Thanks for the photos womas4me,i see that the little female i alluded to earlier was in fact yours and not daves,its a little stunner that one mate! :D

True lower Pilbara BHPs lack sub oculars and have a single loreal scale. Queensland Bhps have sub oculars and have more than one loreal. Lower coastal Pilbara BHPs also have a lower number of mid body scales, 48 - 49 as apposed to 50 to 55 elsewhere. Across the top end from Nt to the Western coast the Bhps tend to be a larger reptile, are generally darker and are not as vivid or resemble the lower Pilbara black and white specimens.
Cheers Dave

So, theyre all nice but they are brown and white.
There isnt one black and white in any of those photos.
Am I missing something?

peterescue said:
So, theyre all nice but they are brown and white.
There isnt one black and white in any of those photos.
Am I missing something?

brown and cream peter ;)

its like red/yellow beardies or ackies, marketing terms designed to hype up the animal.

Show me a mature b+w bhp photo please Peter or anyone else, without distance to obscure any discolouration, as i hav'nt obviously seen one yet. All look good as hatchlings, but most i believe darken on top as they age. But i've only seen a small number up close so would love to see a true one.

The fact remains that these Pilbara BHPs have been referred to as black and white BHPs for many many years well before they were ever commercially available any where in our country. I agree that technically speaking they are at best very dark brown to blackish and creamy white. The term black and white comes from the average description from the average punter after seeing one. I have never heard anybody here tell me that they have seen a brown and cream BHP therefore I think that the term black and white is fine. I don't believe I have seen sellers hyping up these morphs just to sell them but I do believe that may people just automatically assume that all W.A are these colour when in fact many can be rather ordinary especially further north, after all W.A is a huge state.
Cheers Dave

I have seen a few wa bhp's before and I can say that there are some beautifull bhp's through the pilbara and there are some average ones too.
But yes we often refered to some as black & whites, long before this commercial pet trade was focused on them.

But in the end the colour of an animal makes no difference to a road train.

womas4me said:
Show me a mature b+w bhp photo please Peter or anyone else, without distance to obscure any discolouration, as i hav'nt obviously seen one yet. All look good as hatchlings, but most i believe darken on top as they age. But i've only seen a small number up close so would love to see a true one.

Why would you want me too, I'm calling the bluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back