venomous snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GWEEDS

Reaction score
i have a keen interest in venomous snake (esp the red bellied black) and would like to learn about handling and catching of venomous species. however i cannot find anyone who does courses in n.s.w except wires any info would be greatly appreciated

So again someone assumes there is only one wildlife group in NSW.

Join a herp society, meet some keepers and get experience that way.

Had the same interest but due to my age and reptile licencing in nsw i could not keep them.

So i joined Wildlife a.r.c and did there course, then i was looking after allsorts of elapids.

Thats the way to get into it, and its doing a great service for the animals.

Mate, watch a few docos (Irwin, Mark Oshea, Snake Wranglers etc) see how its done, learn as much as you can about the elapids of Australia (particularly those found in your area), learn about their venom and its components and how to treat a bite.
Then, get out in the bush and look for some snakes yourself. Start with the smaller less venomous species and as your confidence improves move onto the larger stuff like red bellies.
I guarantee you will learn alot more about the snakes through personal experience than through any course, not to mention the fun and satisfaction you will have of finding snakes yourself in the wild.
Just my opinion.

Yeah forgot to mention snake shows. Neville Burns has just started daily displays at Echo Point in Katoomba.

Have you got any more info or know somewhere I can fond some about the Sunday shows at La perouse, Mick. I live in Bondi and would love to get down there one Sunday and have a look.
Cheers

peterescue said:

Hey Peter RestCrew - What's wrong with him getting exprience here at APS

stencorp69 said:
peterescue said:

Hey Peter RestCrew - What's wrong with him getting exprience here at APS

Sorry Mr Stenchcorpse, your on the money again.

1pm onward sundays, at Cann reserve on your left just before the loop at Lapa. Does a couple of shows.

Snakehandler.com.au runs formal courses especially for elapids though it's in VIC, working holiday for yourself maybe.
But I do agree with Austrelaps, nothing beats getting out there and putting your skills and knowledge to the test. Once your have an understanding of their habits and how their likely to responed, their body language and intentions are easy to read. Just remember always give them an avenue to escape.
I'd rather start with the red bellies straight up then trying a more aggressive species like eastern browns or tigers.

sevrum said:
are the snake shows at cann reserve on every sunday?

Yep, sundays and public holidays from 1pm to about 5pm. The shows should be getting quite exciting now that its warming up and all his herps are more active and alert.

Just a couple of points about taking yourself off herping to catch vens.
1. its illegal in NSW without a permit
2. Dont go alone.
3. take necessary tools
a-bandages
b-mobile phone and international emergency no 112
c-someone else who is a good runner, they need to get to where the ambulance is going to turn up.
Remember, most snake bites are from people trying to either kill or catch a snake.

I definetly agree with Tom here, there is only so much that you can learn from a handling course. Personally I think the majority are rubbish. Ive been to 3 in Darwin and all were completely useless. People seem to think that they can do a 2 day course and become professionals in snake handling. Not good, I wonder how many people get bitten by being over confident in their abilities.

You are in the perfect region to teach yourself to handle vens. Go out and catch a few whip snakes, and slowly move on to things like rbbs, then onto things that can have you pushing up daisys in a matter of hours!! It will take a couple of years this way, but you will gain so much more experience, and be a lot better handler because of it.

Handling venomous snakes is not that hard, the important thing is to always respect the animal, and ALWAYS be aware of what it is capable of. Ie: If you know that a rbbs can leap up over your head in a split second when your tailing it, you will be prepared the day one does just that, and, hopefully you will have avoided getting bitten!!

peterescue said:
Just a couple of points about taking yourself off herping to catch vens.
1. its illegal in NSW without a permit
2. Dont go alone.
3. take necessary tools
a-bandages
b-mobile phone and international emergency no 112
c-someone else who is a good runner, they need to get to where the ambulance is going to turn up.
Remember, most snake bites are from people trying to either kill or catch a snake.

Very good points Pete.
No one seemed to mention these very important points did they, which is a worry.

Snakehandler.com.au runs formal courses especially for elapids though it's in VIC, working holiday for yourself maybe.

sounds interesting. RBBs can "If you know that a rbbs can leap up over your head in a split second when your tailing it" wow. definatly want to start with snakes with weaker venom.

andrew

Have to agree with Brodie in part. You can only learn so much from a course, and then the majority of your experience will be hands on that you do yourself. A course will never teach you all situations but can give you a decent grounding to build your skills on. Once you've pulled a mulga, gwarder, eastern brown etc from a kitchen cupboard filled with pots, pans, woks, electric grills or a full garage, in an un-airconditioned house in the middle of summer ( or any other situation with a confined space and a well heated and scared wriggly ), you can look back and see what techniques work for you and what dont, cause in the end there are alot of ways to get the animal in the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back