Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it is possible to obtain a very good estimate
You can (almost) conclusively say

Sounds like we agree John?

Of course, its virtually impossible to rule out the possibility of any Australian haplotypes being in PNG and vice versa without sampling virtually every individual. My main point was that this doesn't mean a useful test for distinguishing between races doesn't exist. For example, molecular taxonomy doesn?t require 100% proof to distinguish between species either, yet the species concept still has some validity. We're really both just nit picking, but so be it.

All Australian/exotic hybrids actually show up as whatever race their maternal lineage originates from. None of the cases I'm familiar with have shown up as "pure Aussie". I'm surprised you'd refer to that "deemed Australian" thread, as it was full of inaccuracies and the most vocal in it were using third or fourth hand information.

Matt

Sounds like we agree John?

On some things, no doubt, but your quotes are nastily out of context. You haven't included what I was refering to in them. If you read the full version of those quotes, you'll see I'm not talking about confirming Australian chondros as Australian chondros.

As you now say, there isn't a definitive DNA test available to confirm an Australian chondro as such. Without sampling virtually every individual it's not possible. We can make some guesses, but it's not definite.

All Australian/exotic hybrids actually show up as whatever race their maternal lineage originates from.

Is it only done with mitochondria at present? That's going to cause problems, especially when captive populations which may well have been crossed are concerned, but even with nuclear DNA you can't be sure after the F1 generation. For others reading; a mitochondrial analysis will show a hybrid to be a clone of its mother's mother's mother's mother's...... and not show any sign of any other genetic material in its genome (for the non geneticists: the rest is nuclear DNA and basically speaking, is the stuff which determines your phenotype - all the traits like colour, size, gender, temperament... all the things which control what you look like and how you'll behave... once again, basically speaking). For captive collections, mitochondrial analysis is not really appropriate, especially for chondros, because any hybrid will be identified as a clone of a pure animal!

None of the cases I'm familiar with have shown up as "pure Aussie"

That doesn't surprise me at all, looks like we agree on something! (or at least don't disagree) :D Good to have some common ground :p

I'm surprised you'd refer to that "deemed Australian" thread, as it was full of inaccuracies and the most vocal in it were using third or fourth hand information.

The 'deemed Australian" thread, as you say, was pathetic at best (more common ground ;) ). However, as you no doubt know, there are several people who claim to have tested their chondros and been given a confirmation that they are Australian (which has been false, either they are lying or the person who did the test is incompetent or lying), others have used this to (in some cases knowingly) falsely convince others that the offspring they are buying are Australian. The thread is rubbish as you say, but highlights some of the problems that can come from people thinking that geneticists can do things that they can't. This site is littered with absurdities on the topic, as you were pointing out.

As useful as the analyses may be in looking at phylogenies, populational origins etc, I think in this case, at present, they need to be used extremely carefully to avoid doing more harm than good and even if used properly probably have little value. Saying that there is a test available to determine that a chondro is Australian is misleading and this is quite damaging as it leads to dishonest breeders and "breeders" pretending to have taken this fictional test, or taking the results of their tests too seriously, allowing them to rip naive people off or themselves being fooled.

ime getting worried though mate,sadji is making so much sense lately and even peter agrees with him

Yep, that's pretty friggin' worrying indeed! :shock:

We tried to get a northwesterns python that died in an airfreight accident sexed genetically. Can not be done, too many genes to choose from. It will be a very long time before this will be possible. The tests available to establish the origins of GTPs can only distinguish between animals from the north islands and animals from the south islands! Vague at best!

So sdaj therefore there's no way to genetically differentiate intergrade and pure diamonds then?

It's not simple enough a question to be answerable with a yes or no. I could say yes, but it would take a long time to describe and effectively/practically, the answer is no, at present. The terms "intergrade" and "pure diamond" are misnomers anyway. A diamond from Sydney is as much an intergrade as those wild snakes people started calling "intergrades" following Dave and Tracy Barker after they published their (otherwise very good) python book. At the time that book was written, it was strongly believed by the vast majority of people that diamond carpets and 'coastal' (another name coined by the Barkers in that book, they were previously called Brisbane carpets, or just carpets) carpets had juxtaposed distributions. The Barkers just assumed everyone was right, but this view is now not generally thought to be true, although everyone still seems to use the Barkers' secondary information, which was extrapolated from the original mistake. It's not surprising really, reptile people rarely seem to be too keen about getting this correct, they generally seem to just believe whatever version of the story they happen to hear.

Look up 'intergrade' in a biological dictionary and you'll find there won't be an entry. Look up hybrid and you'll see that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with members of different species.

To understand what is and isn't possible with genetic testing isn't always simple or easy, even for people who have spent years studing genetics.

We tried to get a northwesterns python that died in an airfreight accident sexed genetically. Can not be done, too many genes to choose from.

That's interesting to hear, I'd have thought they'd have that test developed by now. Once they've sorted out the technique it will become very easy and in time fairly cheap. All they have to do is look at the karyotype, looking at individual genes isn't necessary. I've karyotyped myself, we've karyotyped grasshoppers in the lab here, I think I even karyotyped insects in a second year genetics prac. Ask around, you may be able to find someone who can do it.

Agh, they were the ones came up with the name 'coastal'? No offence to them but that name is just stupid, most carpets can be found on the coast and McDowelli's range extends to more 'inland' area's.

Thanks Sdaji for replying. I was told that by the breeder of that snake. I am sure you know the snake I am talking about. Unless he was telling an untruth.

Sooo... did anyone fork out the 10 grand and get one?!!!

I don't think people will admit if they did pugsly, especially after the recent Gtp thefts.

Thanks Sdaji for replying. I was told that by the breeder of that snake. I am sure you know the snake I am talking about. Unless he was telling an untruth.

I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm thinking of. I'll talk to the breeder at some stage and talk to them about it. I'll PM you about it now.

re GTP

Fair dinkum sadji,i dont know where the barkers come into it worrell 1963 states "The dorrigo kempsey intergrade has assumed the general pattern of the carpet python and the coloration of the diamond python" and carpets were not refered to just as carpets in 60s and 70s.The ones described by richard wells as metcalfi were refered to as western carpets because they were diferent but undescribed,jungles were refered to as athertons cause they to were noted by worrell to be different.The coastal populatins of carpets were refered to as carpets.Back then sadji cogger onley had the australian reptiles in color book and the bible was Worrells,his book was brilliant stuff at the time. :D

Fair dinkum sadji,i dont know where the barkers come into it worrell 1963 states "The dorrigo kempsey intergrade has assumed the general pattern of the carpet python and the coloration of the diamond python"

As you say, zulu, the Barkers didn't coin the term intergrade, but it was their book which made it popular among Australian keepers; that's where they come into it. I didn't mean to imply that they had coined it, but on re reading my post, I can see how it could be interpreted that way, I said they coined the name 'coastal carpet', but it looks like I meant they had also coined 'intergrade' in that context, poor wording on my part, sorry and thanks for clearing it up in case anyone was being mislead.

The ones described by richard wells as metcalfi were refered to as western carpets because they were diferent but undescribed,jungles were refered to as athertons cause they to were noted by worrell to be different

I don't know why you're talking about metcalfei or jungles, no one has mentioned them. I just said that when people refered to what are now refered to as 'coastal carpets', before the Barkers' book, they -usually- refered to them as Brisbane carpets, or just carpets. As recently as about five years ago it was still quite common for people think of all carpets other than diamond carpets to just be 'carpets', even though most by then knew better and many had known decades earlier. Obviously if they were using the name 'Brisbane' carpet, they knew there were different types elsewhere. I'm well aware of Wells' taxonomy and no doubt you're aware of the controversy around it, but that's a completely different story.

Back then sadji cogger onley had the australian reptiles in color book and the bible was Worrells,his book was brilliant stuff at the time.

Uh huh. That one of Cogger's was one of my first herp books and although it's now in tatters and in many ways outdated, I still have it. I don't have a copy of Worrell's old bible and haven't looked at one for a few years.

re GTP

Fair enough sadji,yeh i see what you mean about just refering to coastals :D Cheers colin.

re GTP

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeh brownsit gos nowhere intergrade debate,but sadj has god points to make with diamond carpet etc and i like to hear them its just bits of it like the intergrade thingyOH NO!!!! :lol:

re GTP

8) Womas is just a former MTT druitt escapee,they had to do a makeover and remove one of his heads so he could fit in to society on the outside :p

A druitt escapee my butt. I realised i didn't fit in when i had paint on my car, covering up the wonderful lustre of undercoat. What was i thinking???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back