Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
basketcase
This contributions from people on this topic is very important for some body who I will reveal at a later date. At that time you will understand the relavance and the reasons behind this thread regardless of how pointless this seems at the moment. But we do need as many opinions as possiable.And thanks for the people who are responding.
Cheers Dave

I think the number of pairs for sale would also affect the price. If it is one pair i think $60000 is reasonable and very realistic. If there are 10 pairs for sale, i think they may have trouble selling them all at $35000-40000 a pair.

BROWNS said:
The only people i can see getting these pythons without som sort of financial gain'not all" that would pay and keep one just for the passion of it would just buy one imo if you buy them to breed you have to outlay big bucks and earning bib bucks is usually the main motive...good luck to those breeding and selling them.I won't be looking at any at the ridicolous prices being asked even in the cheap days for a green python that sits there all day...whatever floats your boat though however i would be happy to fork out good bucks for a pair guaranteed to come out blue :wink:

Umm I agree with Browns. This topic is like trying to guess which direction your urine will go if you let it rip in a swirling gale.

For those sorts of prices you may get a sale in 10hrs, perhaps 10 months, maybe 10 yrs. Even if I personally had 40k there is no way in hell I'd spend it on a breeding pair of GTP's. The profiteers who aren't genuine herpologicalists won't take the risk (or the time) in getting the breeding right, and then once they have stock to sell they'll be in the same boat. This isn't like breeding cute fluffy ****sus! lol Good luck to your friend.

I don't see the problem with people making money out of reptiles, the fact is anyone who is willing to risk outlaying big money for reptiles IMO has more than earned the right to make a profit.
If it were me i wouldn't have a problem asking $40 000 for a CB breeding pair of GTPs, if i had put the work into getting them in the first place and having the sleepless nights worry about them and worrying about health problems theft etc. Doesn't make you any less of a herper, i love reptiles and animals as much anyone probably more than most but i have no problem making money out of good quality CB reptiles.

Good on them if they get good money for them, hope they spend it on something they like.

Are there payment options? Hire purchase? Lease?

IMO the only one's who bitch about the price are those who a. cant afford them but wish they could or, b. place no value in reptiles. GTP's have proven over time to hold a signifcant value and even at 5 k each would provide a great return for the time and effort put into getting saleable offspring.

As stated, they are worth what people will pay, and i'd bet my left nut that when offered for sale they will last next to no time, and the buyer will be xtremely happy with their purchase. Period.

ok first of all i just bought a 3 bedroom house for $75000 i know what id rather spend my money on. but if you have a buyer then i would be asking 55-60 if not higher. and why not if you can get it go for it. ok lets say you have 1 GTP adult for sale for 20000 so a pair would be 40000 but a proven breeding pair thats how i come up with 55-60. (not realy knowing what 1 adult would be worth)

My thoughts would be that a proven pair would have to sell around the 40K+ mark. If you look at the market for high end animals, it is definately not the end of the world paying these prices. Just take aviarists for example, a pair of high end Macaws here in OZ will fetch around 40k, and there are lists of people that are more than willing to pay that much for these birds. I agree with Womas on this one, and for those who can afford it, good onya. I wish I could!!

Cheers Rossco.

If I was the seller and was unsure of what price to put on them,(the reason for this thread maybe??) I would be tempted to let the market decide, and recieve expressions of interest over $40,000. There would be alot of timewasters but I think that could also help promote the "event" as the gtp nuts fan the flames so to speak.
I think I will happily watch from the sidelines thinking of a nice albino olive :wink:

wouldnt pay more than $10,000 each to be honest, even then I probably wouldn't

olivehydra said:
If I was the seller and was unsure of what price to put on them,(the reason for this thread maybe??) I would be tempted to let the market decide, and recieve expressions of interest over $40,000. There would be alot of timewasters but I think that could also help promote the "event" as the gtp nuts fan the flames so to speak.
quote]

Have to agree with Olivehydra here. It would be interesting to see what people are prepared to pay for an adult pair of GTPs, but I think $ 40 000 is a good starting point, with obviously the potential to fetch alot more than that.

If i had that sort of money i would pay it.dont know if they are overpriced or not, just always wanted them since i was a kid.

re adult

Probably a few breeders that would be willing to part with 40K or more it would be a buisness expenditure for a company i guess when your getting up into those heights.If i was running a biuisness and buying breeders and cages and heaps of food ide have it set up so i could offset tax.Given that reptile ranches etc might pay more than 40K ide imagine. :)

PP, My comments below are a generalisation and not intended to be factual in regards the animals you are talking about, as you haven't really provided enough info to make a clear decision.

If they were genuine cape yorkers I would be suspicious of their age, and unless convinced otherwise would avoid them.
You get people all the time trying to sell off old knackered ex breeders, or animals that have never bred, so I am always suspicious.
That said, if these animals could be proven to be genuine, youngish adults or youngish proven breeders, then I would say $30K + for a pair, this might be dependent on the numbers of hatchie GTP's being sold at the time and for what price, for instance if hatchies were being sold in fair numbers this year for $7500 because they couldn't get $9800, then you have to ask is it worth paying double or more to get adult animals, or would you rather buy 4 hatchies and go through the sometimes hard but interesting process of growing up your hatchies, hoping that you have you at least one of each sex, and in a few years produce your own.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on them.

How many people here would pay 20k for the pair if they were sterile? Not many!

Lets face it, most of you would only ever keep them to make money!

Brodie_W said:

amen brodie! id pay 20k for a pair of blackheaded death adders b4 i'd pay 5k for a pair of greens

Well Brodie, explain to me why you would fork out $20 000 - $40 000 and not try and get your money back by breeding? You'd have to have a lot of money to be able to spend $20 000 - $40 000 on a pair of animals to look at and not breed. Any sterile animal is not worth as much as 'able to produce' animals. (Personally I think a pair of GTPs would be worth more than just $20 000).

I agree with Ncherps on 30k price and would be suspicious of age and background if true cape yorks.
Stevo

Brodie_W said:

I think this is a very good point. Not sure so someone please correct me but I think in NSW you cannot keep reps to "make" money (normal license). I seem to remember reading something along the lines of "disposing of animals in excess to your needs"?? in regard to selling offspring. I would be very interested to know when this practice is considered commercial?? Anyone?

Because every animal I buy, I buy it to fulfill my passion for reptiles! I have spent over 10k on reptiles this year, not including power or food costs. I have already had a clutch of childreni eggs hatch, and gave them all away. I am only selling a very small amount, so that I can cover my food costs for the next year. The rest I will give away to friends, or keep for myself.

I am not stupid enough to spend 40k on a snake I dont even like! I would spend maybe 500 each on GTP, i think they are fairly ugly - just a green carpet python really!!

Tell me foxy snake,, would you only breed for one season to cover your costs, or would you breed them every year, to make money? Im betting 99.9% of people on this site would breed them as often as they could ;)

out of everyones comments NCHERPS is the most realistick $5000 and not a cent more and thats only if you realy want 1 that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back