The Nymph Strikes Back

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OuZo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Episode 345,566,893,578,326,789,235,436.25

For those who have been following the saga:

Well a fair bit has happened since I last annoyed everyone with the mystery of my sick coastal Nymph. He started eating chickens but still won't touch a rat, only problem there is that we can't get any chickens :?. Every time we go to the market to get some they've sold out and we ordered some from interstate only to have them defrosted when they arrived today :(. Anyway, the lump in his tummy is maybe a bit smaller but he really sucks it in underneath, so much so that he actually flattens his body out and looks like an elapid. Having spoken to a different vet, they said that blood tests and antibiotics/vitamin injections should have been done way before x-rays and surgery so we went back to the vet and had some bloods taken. He's such a good snake...didn't flinch once and because he's a bit dehydrated the vet had to stab him about 8 times to get enough out to do all the tests. Got the results back which showed that his red blood cell count was low, he's malnourished and he's anaemic, all which are from him not eating for so long. Also his white cell count was high which means he has some sort of infection. So it was back to the vet tonight for antibiotic injections which we have to give him every day for 3 weeks :shock: .

He was pretty good with it but I'm still nervous about it lol. If we're lucky, an infection could be the only thing that's wrong with him which would be fantastic :D. We were also discussing the possibility of him being allergic to rats or mice. It's only an idea but the vet brought Nymph up as a case study at a recent meeting (can't remember the name sorry...exotic something or other :lol:) where there were all these vets that deal with exotic animals and nobody had any clue what's going on with him! The fact that he can take a day old chick fine but regurgitate a rat or mouse is a bit odd. But anyway, we see how these injections go, then I think regardless of whether he gets better or not it's probably not a bad idea to have another blood test done to see what's going on again.

Anyway, just thought I'd give an update to anyone who's interested :). I'm really interested to find out what it is cos it's obviously something rare...and plus I'm just hoping we can save him ;)

Oh and for anyone who can help, if you know where we could get day old chicks we'd really appreciate it. We've rung about 40 hatcheries and they all say they don't knock em off there or something? It's weird....:?

Thanks for the update Zoe. I was wondering how Nymph was going.

-----------
Cheers,
Wombat.

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

OuZo said:
Oh and for anyone who can help, if you know where we could get day old chicks we'd really appreciate it. We've rung about 40 hatcheries and they all say they don't knock em off there or something? It's weird....:?

Have you tried Pails for Scales located in Ballarat? They are advertising day old chickens for 60c. Check out this page:

http://www.pailsforscales.com.au/foods.htm

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

ROAD TRIP!!!!! Thanx wombat! I've been meaning to go out there and have a look anyway lol. We could pick up a whole bunch while we're there :D.

Buy 'em live and knock 'em off yaself?

You mean buy em live and get you to knock em off for us? ;) We keep missing out at the market anyway...last week the woman started going on about how we don't want day olds cos you have to really keep them warm and take care of them etc etc and I didn't have the heart to tell her what they were for :shock:

If you ring up a chicken farm and ask if they have any day old roosters, they'l usually sell them to you for hardly anything, the only downside is you have to kill them. - Most of those places, after the chickens have hatched they sex them and than kill the roosters - so easy pickings for you.

Thanks for the update Zoe. If you find chicks to feed Nymph, you might be able to get avian vitamin supplements from the vet and place them on the skin of the chicks or inject them before you feed. This is how we get extra vitamins into any sick animals we are given. We have also started using Polyaid, which is a rehydration fluid with vitaminins in it to get sick, dehydrated reptiles going again. We get ours from the wildlife carers up here, so I'm not sure where to source it. Syringe feeding a snake would be difficult, but your vet would probably have some idea on how to do it. Injections of ADEC, b complex and vitamin C would probably help him too.

If you ring up a chicken farm and ask if they have any day old roosters, they'l usually sell them to you for hardly anything, the only downside is you have to kill them. - Most of those places, after the chickens have hatched they sex them and than kill the roosters - so easy pickings for you.

Hey foxysnake, I didn't do the ringing but the other half (Soulweaver) said he rang about 40 chicken hatcheries (is that the same as a chicken farm? :?) and they all told him they couldn't supply day old chicks for whatever reason. I might try ringing some myself just to give it another try.

Thanx for the info womas :D. We were giving him Electrodize every 3 days for a while there cos he was dehydrated and it really did good things for him. He perked up, started moving around his cage, he got stronger cos he became a real turd to give fluids to lol and he even shed which he hadn't done in ages. But then we saw him do the weird neck thing again (will post pics so you know what I mean) we felt like we weren't fixing his problem, just maybe making him feel a bit better which I guess isn't a bad thing. Is Polyaid like Electrodize do you know? Actually I just realised, if he's eating now surely we could inject the Electrodize into the prey so we dont have to intubate him? I figured in the end the fluids weren't fixing his problem and surely stressing him out every 3 days to do it couldn't be too good for a sick snake?

Here are the pics of the "weird neck thing". You can see in some how he's straining so much he's actually pushed his belly scales to the side. They're pretty bad quality cos I was taking it thru the glass while blubbering cos it looked so terrible :oops:

DSCN3846.jpg

DSCN3847.jpg

DSCN3848.jpg

DSCN3849.jpg

DSCN3850.jpg

It must be horrible to have to see that happen to your snake Ouzo, by the way your photos are actually quite good. its a nice python, and seems to haave pretty good condition on in. Hope you end up finding whats wrong with the nymph and he gets better. Good luck.

Thanx foxy, yeah it was horrible seeing him like that and not knowing what's wrong or what to do :(. He is in good condition and has only just recently lost a bit from his tail. But now that he's eating chooks we should be able to get some back on him which is good :). Hopefully by treating the infection it might give him enough oomph to fight whatever it is that's wrong with him :)

Hi Zoey, Its good news hes eating something. Is it voluntary or assisted? I hope you can get him to pick up, after all hes been through.
Best Wishes Inny :)

Hey inny :)

He takes chooks without us having to anything....well, we have to pluck it lol. He doesn't like feathers for some reason :?. But that's cool...whatever floats his boat :lol:

OuZo said:
...whatever floats his boat :lol:

....or blows his skirt up. :D

Without trying to hijack Zoes thread, there are some things that i would like to make aware to those reading. I would like you all to understand that this problem Nymph is having is not isolated just to Zoes collection. Dont assume that its only her problem and that it cant enter your own collections through means that i am unaware of.

This illness has also entered my collection and sunk its teeth into several of my diamonds, doing so in Sep last year as my diamonds were coming out of winter cooling. They show the same symptoms as Nymph and for the last year i have been back and forth to the vets having all manner of tests done to them without really finding anything and i have already lost one diamond that meant a helluva lot to me!!

My intention isnt to put fear into any of you but this disease has appeared in both mine and Zo's collection at roughly the same time and we are in different states. Also, we both care about our animals and dont keep them in an unhygenic state, so we are baffled as to what the illness is and how it came about. So if it can happen to us, it can happen to you.

My intention is to get as many herpers as possible talking about this problem and making them fully aware of it instead of sweeping it under the carpet with the attitude of "Oh, it wont happen to me!"

I dont know about Zo, because i assume she has lots of support from friends, but i have become very depressed at times and haven't had a full nights sleep in over a year because of this problem.....i dont wish this on anyone.

Okay, back to you Zo :D

Well said Nick, hopefully people take notice of what you said but going by the response so far maybe not :?. We're working through it anyway, we gave Nymph his 2nd antibiotic injection tonight (first I've given him) and I think it went ok lol. He's pretty good but it's kinda difficult when you have to twist the syringe before you can take it out!

Any further progress with Cas? I'm sure I've asked you this but does she have any interest in chickens?

Dave and I think that Monty our Brissie Coastal might be sick too. He is acting very strangely indeed. He finally started to eat after Winter, but decided he only wants birds I think. He ate some defrosted day old chicks no probs. Next time he ate, he ate two plump baby pigeons(live). The last two times we attempted to feed him, he constricted and killed the pigeons, but did not eat them. He pretty well wrecked the inside of his enclosure. Looked like World War 3 in there. This morning he constricted another pigeon but did not eat it. He is very rigid at the moment, also waving his head around a fair bit too. We noticed that his hemipenes are poking out and also that some creamy white stuff was coming out of that area(definately not faeces). When I was shifting him up to his basking area so I could clean out the enclosure, he constricted my hand and fingers and wouldn't let go. The only way I could get him off was to put him under the shower. Its no mean feat to try and get a nearly 6ft snake off your hand and fingers I can tell you. We have also noticed that he seems a tad disorientated, and goes over onto his back for some reason. I've made an appointment for the vet on Monday. Will ask for some blood tests to see if he is lacking in anything, and to make sure he hasn't got some sort of infection. Cheers Cheryl

Well thanks serpenttongue and rodentrancher (and of course Ouzo!), I wasn't aware of that and thought that Ouzo's snake was the only snake with umm, whatever it is. That's quite scary, and I'm sorry to hear you lost a diamond to this sickness serpenttongue, it sounds horrible. I hope the vets can figure it out, and I wish you the best with your snakes. Its horrible to see anyones snakes suffer for any reason let alone for you guys to have to watch it 'fit' almost and not know what's wrong with it or why, my heart goes out to you guys.
Cheers,
Dee.

Well guys, despite the fact that I hear the updates on the phone and tell you then, I will say it again: Congrats on the improve and lets hope that all it is is an infection that's been left untreated up till now!!
You guys have done an amazing job with him - and for the record guys, I advised them to give up MONTHS ago, but they've stuck at it and even if money wasn't great, they did all for him that they could!
Looks like it might turn out that it was all worth it guys!
I'm proud of you both (esp. Zo for getting past her 'no comfort zone' in giving him his injections) so congrats and THREE CHEERS FOR OUZO, SOULEY AND NYMPH!! HIPPIP! HORAY!!!!
;)
Bex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back