Acanthophis antarcticus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zen

i try and fit in wherever i go

97659A.antarcticus_9-reduced.jpg

now this is what i call a morph!

Very nice! Brilliant pictures :) Adders are so gorgeous and those are great camouflage shots.

Are they captive or wild animals?

Top shots...it surprises me how docile these guys can be.

even with all the python morphs i still love adders above all.

maybe some keepers could post pics of their adders?

Thanks Sdaji & Browns, it's a wild one.

:idea: What do you all think of the theory, that grey specimens of this species are found in the colder areas, and red one's in the warmer areas. Have you all found this to be true :?:

I personally have found red one's higher up the mountains than grey one's,
but the red one's were on the northern side of the main ridge.

Here's a shot that shows how well they can flatten out.
like no other snake of i've seen.

97659A.antarcticus_8-reduced.jpg

Does anyone (especially someone who keeps them) know if this is a threat display, to absorb heat or both.
:?:

mainly a threat display, spotted blacks will flatten out the same as adders, cool ah.
Ive seen greys and reds in the same area and in the same clutch.

great looking adders. Where abouts were pics taken??

The ones in a particular series of ridges on the Hawkesbury are generally grey form while most of the ones Ive seen at Colo are red. Up in a couple of central coast valleys they appear to change with they type of forest ie wetter or dryer. I was assuming it would relate to ground cover to some extent.
The best :| person to get info on them is Mr Hoser. He has bred vast numbers of location specific animals in Sydney in the past.

Thanks for the info guys.

Rob-
So you reckon the flattening is a threat display! I'd better take heed next time.
It's a good thing they're so good natured, even placid, as Browns said earlier.
I actually got quite close for the photos. :oops:
I suppose it's to make itself look bigger .
It must have been thinking,
"BACK-OFF you silly herpetologist, don't you realize how fast, accurate & deadly I am!?"

97659Acanthophis_antarcticus__7.jpg

This close-up, shows the 'spine' (modified scales) on the end of the tail.

Rob, it's interesting what you said:-
Ive seen greys and reds in the same area and in the same clutch.

If you get the two colour phases in the same litter, then perhaps, if this theory holds true, natural selection allows the better adapted young to predominate in certain areas.

I read about it in Prof. Rick Shine's book, 'Australian Snakes - A Natural History'.
He said about the Common Death Adder:-
"...the grey adders (which are commonest in cooler southern parts of the country)..."
and " ...the red animals (which are commonest in hotter northern regions)..."

97659Acanthophis_antarcticus~Warrimoo_11-reduced-med.jpg

Peterescue-
Thanks for your observations on local specimens.

You said:-
Up in a couple of central coast valleys they appear to change with they type of forest ie wetter or dryer. I was assuming it would relate to ground cover to some extent.
I assume you mean that there was more red specimens in the wet sclerophyll forest and more grey specimens in the dry sclerophyll forest.
Is that right?
So you're suggesting that, at least locally, it's less to do with temperature and more to do with micro-climate. Yes :?:

By the way, the specimen shown in all my photos is the same individual.
Photos were shot on location, in Warrimoo, Blue Mountains (N.S.W).

Nice mate!
The antarcticus I've caught before have been in the same general location your animal is from! Whereabouts are you located?
All specimens were of roughly the same colouration, but with more contrasting bands than yours.
My mum ran one over about a year ago, I dissected it to find a jacky dragon, a fledgling bird and a medium-sized, unidentified frog... Not bad eh!

hi Austrelaps,

thanks for your observations.
so you've only found the grey form around Warrimoo.
that's interesting.

my location is Sydney, however I work throughout the Sydney region, including the Central Coast, Illawarra & Blue Mountains.

sounds like a bellyfull in that roadkill :shock:
the one specimen with lizard, bird & frog!.
fascinating variety there.
i suppose all those prey items like wriggling worms (modified tail-tip).

at least that snake had a balanced diet.
unfortunate fate though :(

thanks for the data.

p.s - feel free to PM me for a chat if you want. :)

Their stocky build is characteristic of ambush predators.

Generally, the more robust species of snake pack more of a punch.

Sit & wait & in the case of a Death Adder...entice!!!

Gender Determination?

Does anyone experienced with Death Adders (especially keepers) have an idea as to what gender the above specimen is.

According to John Weigel :-
Sex may be readily determined by tail shape, males having a very much thicker tail base than females.

So it's a relative determination, needing comparison between male & female specimens.

Judging by tail shape on the thrid picture, I'd say definate male. The tail bulges extensively outwards after the vent in males.

I don't think you'll find any climate caused changes in colour distributions. You may well find that there are local correlations between altitude/temperate and colour, but correlations don't always indicate cause-affect relationships. The animal colour will depend primarily on the soil colour. You'll often notice that as you move up mountains in Australia, the soil becomes more red (less humus) and more brown/grey down lower. There are red adders in southern and northern populations of (broad sense) A. antarcticus and all over their range you'll find it's a soil colour matching thing. In large areas with red sand, almost (or absolutely) every individual will be red (this is the case with most A.pyrrhus populations). In areas which are more patchy, you'll get more variation and sometimes 'wrong' coloured animals on the soil.

Incidentally, the red/grey colour system is (basically speaking) controlled by a single Mendelian gene. Red is dominant, grey recessive.

Thanks Austrelaps & Sdaji,

A male you reckon Austrelaps, thanks for that.

Sdaji -

That's a very interesting wrap there. Fascinating stuff!
Very solidly argued. What you're saying makes alot of sense.

I've been trying to work this puzzle out for yonks!

Thanks heaps.

zen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back