Carpet Python Swallows a Wallaby - Bad Handling!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zen

I know this was up the other day, but I wanted to discuss the way the animal was handled :shock:, immediately after the feed :!: .

Here's the link:- http://media.smh.com.au/?rid=17270&...au/&t=79LM1J&ie=1&player=wm7&rate=401&flash=1

I've read & been told on good authority, that you should
NEVER HANDLE A SNAKE AFTER FEEDING :!: :!: :!:
Especially after a big feed and that was a huge feed! :shock:

Doing so, can and does Kill the specimen!

There's a tragic case where this happened to a pet Carpet Python,
that had been a family pet for 10 years or so.
It'd been handled immediately after a feed to show-off to family friends and it DIED SHORTLY AFTERWARDS! :cry:

I don't know who's handling the snake but he's (an idiot) dangling it,
totally unsupported almost by the tail :!: :roll: .
Notice how the snakes tail is writhing in pain and/or annoyance! :cry:
This is a real NO-NO!.

The handler in this report may claim ignorance, but it's just COMMON SENSE not to do this! :roll: .

Kiddies DON'T try this at home!

Sorry to be so intolerant everyone, but this just shouldn't be done, especially on national television!

I just wanted to get this message out there.

(not so) zen

P.S - I hope the snake is O.K! :cry:

Wrong - It would be very rare for snake to die from being handled after feeding... If it happens at all. There are many other reasons the carpet python could of died!

The most that would usually happen is the snake regurgitates its meal, no biggy! Still shouldnt be done unless it can be avodied, though.

Brodes, It's true. Snakes can and have died from being handled after large meals.

When the stomach lining is stretched to its limit from a huge meal, it becomes very easily torn by things such as claws and teeth! :)

Yeah I know it happens, but I have heard of it happening only rarely! How many times have you handled snakes that have just eaten, and how many have died as a result?

PS ive heard of it tiwce, including this thread :p

How many times have you handled snakes that have just eaten, and how many have died as a result?

Personally, just 16 mate! I consider myself lucky. :p :wink:

Ill sick ma pet yowie on ya!

re carpet

Cant say that i know of or have seen a python die from handling after eating a large meal,most fatalities ive seen were those that died after eating porcupines etc overseas.Caught alot of diamonds and carpets over the years that have eaten possums and havent had one die from handling,an occassional regurgitation,dont recomend handling though sometimes you have to.

that was very cool an i cant say that i've had a snake die yet from handle after feeding, normaly if u bother a snake while eating it will throw its food up.

Out of all these pythons handled just after a Huge feed not normal sized feed ,How many were wild and if so what type of tracking was done to ensure no harm came to the python at a later time ?

I think the difference here would be the huge size of the meal .

I agree with you Zen I dont think it was the right way of handling the snake i think it was more showing off then anything else !

The best course of action and the one recommended by WIRES is called "Left & Observed"!
Especially for an uninjured, harmless snake, like a python.
Doubly so, after it's eaten a near record-breaking meal, on the limits of the snakes capacity.

This snake will have been collected by Geoff Jacobs, Queensland Wildlife Solutions, (yes, he is the snakehandler in the clip) and likely will be spending a couple of weeks digesting on one of Geoffs rescue aviaries before he releases it again. Geoff's reasoning behind this is that the snake will be safe and secure to digest it's dinner and will be at less risk of attack and subsequent regurge.

So, now everyone knows why he picked the snake up and didn't leave it there.

However, I don't think picking a snake, which has just had a huge feed, up by the tail is a particularly clever thing to do. I think in this case, it's all about the cameras and the wow factor.

Yup gotta agree with you there WRASSE... I did see the news article when it showed... And there was another post about it. Where some people are disusted with the handling. I am one of them. Even if the snake was to regurgitate the wallaby...How painful would that be... Can you imagine what it would be like to throw up somethuing that took you an Hour and a Half (I think it was) to swallow..OUCH. He is a snake handlwer and you would think he would be a bit more gentle...Knowing what can happen.

If anyone wants to view his site...Or contact him...:p:p His site is www.snakecatcher.com

jesus... what a witch hunt... i've handled heaps of well fed snakes and never had any die... i have met geoff jacobs, and he knows his carpets... :roll:

See how fast the snake started eating at the end....he was crapping himself I reckon :shock:. There he is with a frickin wallaby stuck halfway down his gob and some jokers are pointing and poking and filming him :?.

I also don't think regurgitation is anything to be laughed off either...our sick coastal has regurgitated a number of times over the last year and it certainly doesn't look as pleasant for him as it does going down. Who knows, perhaps an injury from regurgitating is what has caused all his problems? I certainly wouldn't be saying it's no biggy anyway

re Carpet

Wouldnt have picked it up by the tail and it is a wow factor for the camera ,better moved,definetly wouldnt be left alone once discovered.You ring this snake catcher zen and tell him how to do things,like share your experience around a bit :wink:

I'm sure if a scared Granny saw it she would toss some boiling water over it , thump it with a shovel and sell the story to a national magazine and become a national hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back