Pilbara Olives

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I think I know the answer already but here goes anyway....... Does anyone know of any western olives in captivity, or if anyone has been granted permission to collect from the wild to establish captive breeding programs? Yes I would love to have one, but I am not necessarily asking if any are for sale, more just wanting to know if anything is being done to help these "little" guys.
Thanks.

I don't know of any legally in captivity in WA.

No one to my knowledge has been granted permission to collect them for breeding. There was at one stage a ' Pilbara Olive breeding program ' but to my understanding the female became egg bound and died.

There will be a proposal going in to CALM soon to collect a small number for breeding ( around 10 pairs ), with the collected animals being unable to be sold into the pet trade, only offspring.

Time will tell, but they are quite plentiful in their natural range and can be a pest to some station's as they regularly get into their fowl and eat half of them. I think that the ruggedness of the terrain in which they live is hindering the ability to determine numbers accurately, but going on how many are regularly seen dead on the railway between Dampier and Tom Price a ' strictly controlled and monitored ' collection and breeding program could not effect the sustainability of the wild population.

Cheers, Jim

womas4me said:
I don't know of any legally in captivity in WA.

No one to my knowledge has been granted permission to collect them for breeding. There was at one stage a ' Pilbara Olive breeding program ' but to my understanding the female became egg bound and died.

There will be a proposal going in to CALM soon to collect a small number for breeding ( around 10 pairs ), with the collected animals being unable to be sold into the pet trade, only offspring.

Time will tell, but they are quite plentiful in their natural range and can be a pest to some station's as they regularly get into their fowl and eat half of them. I think that the ruggedness of the terrain in which they live is hindering the ability to determine numbers accurately, but going on how many are regularly seen dead on the railway between Dampier and Tom Price a ' strictly controlled and monitored ' collection and breeding program could not effect the sustainability of the wild population.

Cheers, Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. I was unaware that they were so plentiful. The most info I had found on them was in Barkers Pythons of the World, in which they stated them as being quite threatened.
Do you know who is putting the proposal to CALM? Just wondering who to start sucking up to :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back