Sexing monitors?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

munkee

Reaction score
Hey all currently reading alot into monitors. My question is this. Which monitor species are able to be sexed by eye (like beardies) and which require more intricate effort (probe? X-rays). I'm curious about the monitors as part of a longer term plan to keep some in an outside pit.

Another question are multiple males a no no? I know male beardies can be keen to establish whose boss. Curious bout the monitors.

Cheers all.

I think some of the smaller monitors like the varanus acanthurus have a cluster of spikes either side of the vent, with males having larger spines. I know that male V.mertensi have blue around their face, or at least the top lip aiding in sex indentification,but for the larger species particularly Lacies you'll need to x-ray them to be sure what sex they are. For the larger monitor species, males are usually much larger than females.

There are monitor keepers that house males together but this is most likely during breeding as male combat may be needed to help stimulate males to mate. If males are to be housed together permanently then the enclosure must be a descent size to avoid territorial disputes.

hmm..... Interesting Thus the trick I'm thinking is to get (in the future) 4-6 young ones to ensure very good odds of at least one female probably 2-3 out of 6. This would be a good way to be sure methinks.... though a bigger pit would be needed. Hehe..... oh darn you gotta do what you gotta do.

Do the merten males always have the blue or at sexual maturity? (assuming when mature)

The blue colouring of the Mertens tends to occur around the breeding season, although some can have this colouration permanently...NOT having this colouration is not a good reason to identify the animal as a girl.

Simon Archibald

Does anyone have pictures with regards to the spine present near the vent on ackies? I Am curious about them is it a definite big spurs = boy or is there a degree of 'slippage' (spurs are kind big, type thing) Thanks all.

I didn't have to x-ray my Lacey. I got a clear view of his hemipenes when he tried to urinate on me. (Not a pretty sight I must add)

I didn't have to x-ray my Lacey. I got a clear view of his hemipenes when he tried to urinate on me. (Not a pretty sight I must add)
lol.

as for sexing babies, can you x-ray baby lacies or do you have to wait until they are yearlings?

My tristis are very easy to identify which is which by the 'spurs'. I don't have a good pic, but it's really obvious, the female has little lumps with spikes, the male has these two big spiky balls either side of the vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back