HOW DO I CATCH A SNAKE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN CATCH A BLACK SNAKE ABOUT 50CM LONG THATS HIDING IN MY FIRE WOOD. TO MUCH WOOD JUST TO MOVE.

I WAS THINKING MAKING A CAGE MADE OF AVAIRY WIRE AND HAVING A RAT INSIDE IT. THE LOGIC WAS IT WILL EAT THE RAT AND THEN BE TOO BIG TO GET OUT.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK

Yeap, a rat would have no problems taking care of a snake that size. :p

Good theory, please use a large pinky/small fuzzy rat if you intend to put it into practice. Why do you want to catch this snake anyway? Shift him out and you will leave a nice spot for another to move right into. Why not lift the firewood up off the ground onto a stand and just be aware when around it?

Or you could just leave it there?? Unless its a direct threat to something then theres no harm in it being under the wood.

GOT DOGS AND CATS THAT ARE CURIOUS AND THEY MEAN MORE TO ME THAT A ROUGE SNAKE THAT I HOPE TO REMOVE. AND YES I WOULD USE PINKIES

What are you gonna do with the snake if you do catch it?

And you dont need to use caps lock, we can read lower case just fine... ;)

Hows that. Let it go of course i could try banging it together with my jungle and see if i can get a venomus python offspring lol

hey matto are you sure it's a black snake or a dark brown. interested in a better description because of where you live mate. if you are really concerned for Ra and Mel (stuff the cat) i can give you the number a a pro snake catcher to do it for you? cheers smitty

not sure what sort it was or how many is living there. I was whipper snipping and i saw this snake disapear into the wood it looked really dark maybe brown and it had a round tail not sharp i dont know if i clipped it with the whipper snipper

i seen a method of catching a snake once that seemed smart enough
get a live pinkie rat young as possible tie a string around it put it under a box with a hle cut into it for the snake to get in tie the string to sumthing solid and when the snake swallows the mouse it swallows the string and cant get away ( i seen the method used as some one was trying to catch a loose cobra but the used dead ball pythons as bait )

anyways just a method i thought my be worth mentioning

Thanks jimmy i might try that if i fail with my attempt.

Azztech, you should go down to the paddington tavern they have a comedy club there and tonights open mic nite!

You could build a snake trap. It consists of a box about 60cm x 60cm x 10cm (or bigger depending on size of snake). It has a lid that lifts on hinges to reveal a second (lockable) lid made of perpex, so that you can view what is inside without it escaping. On one side near the corner of the box is the entry door which is made of wood or perspex, with a few small holes drilled into it to allow the scent of the dead mouse (which is placed in the centre) to escape. The door can only open inwards. Inside the box is a series of walls that form somewhat of spiral maze. The purpose of this is that it means the snake can't stick his head in, grab the mouse and reverse back out. He has to follow the path around and around until he makes it to the centre of the box, hopefully his full body will be inside the box before he reaches the mouse, making escape impossible. i think that's about it, i actually have one at home which i made back in high school for a wood work project. I've never used it but i saw it being used on tele once and with great success.

That sounds pretty good i dont know what animals are living in the fire wood so that would cater for what ever size snake or even a blue tounged one.

matto said:
Thanks jimmy i might try that if i fail with my attempt.

Azztech, you should go down to the paddington tavern they have a comedy club there and tonights open mic nite!

so does the kedron park hotel! i was just there! trippy!

Call a professional.
or at least someone who knows how to handle elapids.
Personally, Id follow Shermans advice, It wont be there long and chances are you wont see that particular one again. and Azztechs idea not as funny as you think, I picked up a red belly bluetongue this afternoon, peopel saw it as plain as day.
Where are you anyway.

red belly blue tongue??? are you having me on??? i'm in north brissie... duh... i haven't seen ya in a couple of weeks pete, been on holidays?

well, I was told it was a red bellie, I get there and theres a bluey holed up between two out buildings and she's in eastrous(spelling) so has a very rosey red belly and the caller thought it was a RBB.
and yes, I was on hols :D .

I think i will have a go at catching it and if successful i will launch some pics.
I will probably catch a blue tongue now and you two will laugh at me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back