Eating backwards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathon

Reaction score
Hey last night I noticed that my stimmi was eating the mouse from the tail end instead of the head end as she usually does. I read that if they eat the mouse from the tail end the legs can get stuck somewhere? Is it normal for them to sometimes eat their food backwards?

Cheers

my jungle at a pinky rat backwards last feed only thing different was it done 3 sepperate poos. If it was eating something with claws it could be but they can always throw it up if theres dramas.

My carpet eats all her food backwards ... i think she is rebellious :?

got a diamond that eats his food backwards every feed, never been a problem, just put it down to him being an idiot :) or he likes the smell of butt better lol :)

When my coastal was eating his food backwards I was told it was because the ras were too small to properly distinguish head from tail. I moved up a size and he was fine.

My stimmie and one of my coastals have at times taken their food backwards, usually beacaue they had trouble working out what the head and what was the tail.

It was harder for them and took a bit longer, but their are no other problems with this.

You'll actually find that the more snakes you have, the more often you'll see this occur. I've seen lots of pythons do this over the years and pythons that are in my collection do it quite often, sometimes even eating the prey from the middle.

I guess there is nothing to really catch on when the rat goes down unlike say dolphins when they eat fish they have to swallow it head first so the fins of the fish fold down so to speak. I have some great video footage of a dolphin being fed a fish backward and it actually turns it around so it can swallow it the proper way. I guess the animal knows how to eats its food. :?:

When my coastal was eating his food backwards I was told it was because the ras were too small to properly distinguish head from tail. I moved up a size and he was fine.

i have also found this to work - if the animal can eat it backwards, the food item is likely to be too small, in saying that, i have found that most neonates can only eat pinks, thus a bit of butt chewing....

i have 15 snakes 4 eat back wards 50%of the time with no dramas.

one of my diamonds ate a live pinky backwards when i tried to get it feeding, no problems, it was actually kinda funny seeing the little mouse's head still moving as it dispeared down his throat

yeh my diamond used to eat backwards i was ashamed at the lil fella i thought he was straight but he seemed to like the but more lol
cheers blake

Alot of my pythons eat backwards sometimes aswell and to date no dramas, just takes longer to go down.

Congo

One of mine ate from the middle once, its funny to see the tail, head and all legs sticking out of its mouth at once. LOL

been a couple of case lately of snakes snagging rodent teeth on their stomache, getting peritonitus and unfortunately dieing. In the wild rodents generally have shorter teeth.

thank you to whoever started this post. i read it only about a week ago and then today 'amber' my blonde mac hatchling decided she was a bit of a butt muncher and ate her pinky backwards. if i didn't read this post i would have been all worried thinking it was going to get stuck and all but i just kicked back and watched the show :)

cheers
James

My Brutus (Coastal) eats his rats and rabbits butt first. And i just watched his offspring do the same yesterday.

Simone

My Childreni has eaten backwards twice since I have had him and both times he appears to have been constipated and around 2 weeks later explodes from the rear end in the corner of the enclosure. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back