herp shop heatmats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bimbo

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has used the herp shop heatmats which can be cut to any lenght? what did you think of them.

I have sent a few emals to them but no reply so does anyoe know what the minimum length is that you can buy? also does it just wire up to a 240 volt mains plug?

cheers
James

I'm guessing you mean the heat tape? We use it for our roaches and to put click clack type containers on for baby snakes. Works really well but you do have to do a little bit of wiring to connect it as it doesn't come with a plug cos as you said it can be cut to any length. Looked pretty easy though...never done it myself lol ;).

I got them recently. I bought 1.2 metres so I don't know the minimum length. They sell crimps that puncture into the mat and you wire the cord to the crimps. Yes you can wire directly to the 240V mains You just want to make sure the crimps and the end of the mats are taped as there is a current running through it obviously.
With the wiring just buy an extension cord and cut the end off and wire to that. I run mine with a thermostat but with a larger enclosure you could prob get away without it due to the the low wattage.
All in all mines working well

We use it in all of our enclosures. I use it under tiles which I am very happy with.

You might be interested in some of pictures on this page which show the heat tape and the crimps etc.

http://www.herpshop.com.au/TiledEnclosure

As for the minimum length you need to think about how many watts you want it to put out. At 75 watts per meter you get, for example, the same amount of a 75 watt light bulb spread evenly out over 1m of the heat tap. If you only bought 10cm's it is only going to put out 7.5 watts which is not going to heat much. Brian would however sell you such a small quantity.

In our Gecko enclosures I think I have about 20cm's of the narrow tape which works pretty well for a small enclosure.

Hi,
I've made up lots of mats of different wattages and cut to various lengths. It is easy to do but if you don't have basic electrical knowledge and ability it can potentially be very dangerous. I know of some incidents that were very frightening. If you are in doubt either get the help of someone who knows or use the heat cords sold through the herp shop-they are cheap, work really well and don't need to be wired. Better safe than sorry.
Bob

just wanted to know the minimum lenght you can get cause i only need about 15cm for one hatchy container. might get 1/2 meter and have a bit spare - or just buy more hatchling :) no worries with doing the wiring my self i was just wondering if they needed to be hooked up to some sort of transformer etc which you guys have answered for me

cheers
James

i just bought some from herpshop for the tiled florr idea, thanks for the info Herptrader. huge help.

Laying the tiles this weekend.

hey guys i use herpshop heat tape it is excellent would recommendit tooo anyone :p
cheers kahn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back