Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day,

The Sherm and I did a touch of herping, didnt find too much but found this little guy. We thinks it's a young Brown Snake...what do you reckon ay? It was found in south western Sydney.

DSC01150.jpg

close.jpg

We also found this little fella, along with a few others that were just too quick,

heath.jpg

Cheers Alex[/img]

What coloured belly did that snake have? I don't think it's a Brown Tree Snake. It's not a Red-Naped, Golden-Crowned, Swamp, Yellow-faced Whipsnake, Red Bellied, Tiger.. That really only leaves a Brown Snake, but one that small i would expect to still see some banding. Anyhow, i'm going with a Brown. Do you have any other pics. Would really like to see the head/neck (without the fingers in the way) and the belly.

Could also possibly be Drysdalia rhodogaster, but doesn't appear to be any markings on the head or nape so i doubt it. I'm going with Brown..

Yeh, big problem was that it was sloughing so we couldnt see it's true colours.

Cheers Alex

The more i look the more i think it's actually a Whipsnake.. pretty sure now actually.

Great effort... well spotted. Even large snakes can sometimes be hard to spot. Were you turning up rocks, logs etc. or did you just happen across him?

(IMO - and I know all about snakes cause I just got this cool book...lol- i reckon eyes look too big for brown snake - I would have expected banding on a juvie also - so my guess is whip because of the large eyes and big head scales (frontal and parietals)... and cause Austrelaps seems so certian.)

Spot-on Austrelaps & Grant,

It's a Yellow-faced Whip Snake - Demansia psammophis

Distinguishing characteristic is the subtle black bar across the snout that no other species in that location has.
Head plate arrangement confirms this ID.
Looks like it's about to shed so colouration is indistinguishable.

The dragon is probably a Jacky - Amphibolurus muricatus

zen

re Whats

Sorry guys its an olive crocafrog and what a gorgeous little specimen it is :lol:

Your the only crocafrog round here zulu ;)

A yellow faced whip snake that sized, killing a fully grown human??
If you have a look at the pic it was an extremely small snake, and identifieing it was difficult as it was shedding, although i thought an 'experienced herp' would have picked that up. If it was a fully grown snake and we didn't know what it was then we have been far more careful, and i doubt that in that position it could have bitten us. We where holding it by the head because that it the danger end so to speak, thus minimising the chance of us getting bitten. We held it for about 1 minute then put it back exactly where we found it....

I have seen plenty of pics with you holding snakes, pissing them off....

Why is it that whenever you post all you do is bag ppl out? It must just be that fact that you are genrally and angry man why??.....

Cause you have red hair!!!

And why are you naughty boys holding snakes by the head when you dont even know what they are?

How dare you be so disrespectful Brodie. I'm sure when they caught it they used extreme caution, the fact they thought it may be a Brown suggests this. Try to have a little more respect mate; there's nothing to gain by being so arrogant.

re Whats

Brodie_W said:
Your the only crocafrog round here zulu ;)
Ime like the Rock Brodes ime evoling from day to day,my aim is to evole into a pussycat for Oldfella :lol:

Just saw you edited your post ether...... Snakes can inject their venom into you with a spike on their tails. Everyone knows that!

Lmfao Zulu

Mr Bredli Ill be as disrespectful as I want coz they know I dont mean it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back