ATT ALL BEARDIE OWNERS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beknluke

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Do ANY of you out there have animals with little yellow sores on them, like this:

dragonfront.jpg

(This is NOT one of my animals, but they do have the same thing)

If you do, the following reading IS A MUST!!

http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-46-page-1.html

My vets did not recognise these 'sores' for what they were, Yellow Fungus Disease. And it CAN prove fatal to your beloved dragon.
This Fungus (YFD) is on 9 of the 24 dragons that were purchased from QLD. There was a 10th, but that was Foxtrot and she's no longer with us. (This is just another reason why, if you see an add for brightly coloured baby beardies for sale over the next few months - BE CAREFUL!! The seller of these 24 DO have this fungus in their collection!!)
I am now treating them with Betadine and Lamisil, and obviously these animals are continuing to be quaranteened.
I will let you all know how it goes, but I just felt that this was too important to not warn you all. And for those of you unfortunate enough to have YFD on your dragons, hopefully this can give you some answers and some info.
Bex

HI ring Mick Cannon at cannon and Ball vets(0242298888 Wollongong) i have seen this before its a fungas and stays in the soil and will be passed on to other beardies you put in the pit or cage very contagoius to other beardies
Mick

Thanx Mick
These guys are on newspaper, but they all came from QLD with this disease. Now I get stuck with fixing it Grrrr
I will give them a buzz tomorrow, thanx Mick

geez bex you have had some rotten luck with these little critters. If there is anything we can do to help just let us know. Thanks for the heads up on the yfd, and good luck :)

good luck treating them, sorry to here the bad news, and thanx for the worning

HI
also try Brendan Carmel he is sopposed to be the top Vet Down there he is in Warranwood 0398790900 i also herd silverzine cream helps you can get it at a chemist but cheach first
Mick

Thanx again Mick, and thanks guys,
I just called Mick Cannon and he's not in today.
I haven't been to see Carmel because he's a good 1.5hrs from my place and I have to call in favours to get there (I don't drive).
I have tried calling to speak to him before with another urgent and odd case and the receptionist wouldn't put me through and kept telling me to 'try harder' to get there.
I am now treating the beardies with the products that have worked for the US - Lamisil. Apparently Lamisil has always had the best result.
I have had terrible luck, and I tell you what, it's SO hard to keep going :( I just feel so exasperated (and broke!!) that I feel like just throwing the towel in. But these animals can't treat themselves, so I keep going. I feel like banking my head against a wall.
What else can be wrong with them?!?!?
But I will let you all know how the tratment goes
Bex

Was it Jim G. that didn't diagnose it correctly? He's a top vet but hey, I guess we all make mistakes, it's all part of life ;)

When you finally manage to breed these lizards Bex you have an absolute guarantee from every person on this site to purcahsde one from you for whatever you ask. (Or two I guess). The devotion you have shown towards these lizards is uncomparable. You are a legend. Well done.

Thanx Peter - that's very sweet of you to say :)
Hey Simon, I actually saw a few different vets and none of them picked the yellow fungus, but Jim has left Canterbury so it certainly wasn't him ;)

Thanks Cheryl :)
I'll tell you what, if they don't improve soon, I'm going to apply to the governmemt for respite :lol:

Bex, you should be given an award for The Most Dedicated Herper! :p

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

I think that should me 'most DEMENTED herper' wombat lol
You should hear me muttering away to them as I'm treating them! :lol: Really! It's laughable! I talk to them as if they're children : "It's okay Brava, calm down sweety, it's ok. Open up, that's it, open your mouth, good girl. See that wasn't so bad was it? You're a beautiful girl" lol
Luke is making enquiries at the local looney bin! lol
:lol:

your doin a great job, and just look at the results you have gotten so far, must be very rewarding. well done.

Don't worry Bek, we are all demented. You just have to be on here on a Saturday night to see that. We could be out partying, but, nooooo, we are here herping!!! :D

beknluke said:
I think that should me 'most DEMENTED herper' wombat lol
You should hear me muttering away to them as I'm treating them! :lol: Really! It's laughable! I talk to them as if they're children : "It's okay Brava, calm down sweety, it's ok. Open up, that's it, open your mouth, good girl. See that wasn't so bad was it? You're a beautiful girl" lol
Luke is making enquiries at the local looney bin! lol
:lol:

I talk to my fish all the time and I will be talking to my diamond when I get her. :lol:

Even though I'm not into lizards at all, I think that you are doing a GREAT job with them and they will thank you with lots of little beardies in the future.

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back