Minimum Age/Size of Bredli For Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeWrangler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering what you guys think my chances of getting my female bredli big enough to breed next year?

She is 2 years old and 5ft 3in in total length. I am hoping to have her 6ft by the time she needs to be cooled and she will be 2.5 years old. Do you guys think I will have a good chance of getting her to breed?

Cheers. :)

hiya snakewrangler, i asked the question at my last herp meeting as i have a pair of baby bredli that i wish to breed when they get older, (the guest speaker did a talk on breeding different pythons). He said that to get the best result is to leave them til they are around the 4 years old mark :). Hope that helps and good luck

No, that doesn't help!! :lol:

Just kidding, I wonder if the 'best result' simply means a good clutch size? cause I would be happy with a single egg, I just want to get some breeding experience up my sleeve...

Maybe I'll have to look around for a breedng pair of pythons for sale... I see the dollar signs floating out of my wallet already!!

So, anyone got a breeding pair of pythons they would like to donate to my education? :lol:

hi,
our coastals bred this year and were aged between 2 1/2 years old and 8 years old, not sure on bredlis but coastals will breed at 5 to 6 foot, you haven't said anything about a male, lol, i used a 18 month old male with a 2 1/2 year old female and it failed, but my 2 1/2 year old male breed with my other 3 females, they were aged between 2 1/2 years old to about 8 years old,

cheers,
steve......

With bredli, you want the female to be 4kg+. I tried with smaller and got no result, in my mind it was the lack of size :) Age is a less important factor. I know of one guy who bred a female at 3.4 kilos though, so... meh :p

Thanks guys, that is helpful. I do not have a male yet, but will be getting one as soon as I find a suitable one. I am looking for one that is roughly the same size as my female. I am hoping to find one before the end of January so that I can ensure he is in condition for breeding...

Well I guess it cant hurt to try provided I find a male, I'll have to weigh her but I cant see her even being 3kg let alone 4kg. :shock:

Yeah, they put on length well before weight. I have a 4y.o. female that's still bulking up noticeably. Good luck :)

Well she is only about 2kg so it is looking like there will be no go with her until 2007 (hopefully).

So this leaves me with only one option, buy a female coastal for my male. Are there any standard requirements that a male coastal must meet to be able to breed? steve6610 had his 2.5yr breed with 3 females... Is it pretty common for males to mature sexually before females?

My male will be 2.5yrs when it comes time to breed, he is pretty much the same size and weight as the female bredli right now, so he will be a little larger by the time he will need to breed, does it sound as though he should be suitable for breeding next year?

Hi Snakewrangler;
to answer your question....from what i've found
age does seem to be a factor....i've had third year thumper sized Bredli,
which i've tried to breed a few times at three years of age....I havent been able to do it.
However they seem to mate readily at four years of age.....it maybe possible;
but i'm yet to do it. I'd be interested to hear if does happen for you....good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back