Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilleni

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to Gunnedah over christmas and thought it might be a good oportunity to do some herping..

Question is, Where would be some good spots?

And what might i find?

PS. Gunnedah is 1hour from tamworth, in NSW. if you didnt know...

Thanks, Reed.

gday gilleni,

My mum has a property between gunadah and tammworth, ive only been up there a couple of times, and havent seen to much.

Ive caught two browns and a spotted blue belly and found an old skin from a carpet.

But like i said only been up ther a couple of times and i wasnt herpin.

OK, Thanks mate..

So i may be able to find some black snakes and brown snakes then..

What sort of carpet would it have been?

And Are there any beardies or monitors in that area?

Thanks again donkey..

There's coastals up there but you'd be damn lucky to fine one.
Heaps of beardies though and blueys.
Masses of browns, red and blue bellied blacks around water courses / swampy areas.
Green tree snakes around the rivers I'm told.
Lots of geckoes, best bet is a head torch at night in a rocky area.
Lacies are plentiful, if the people you are staying with have chooks they'll know where they are :)

Gidday Gilleni,

I haven't been to Gunnedah, although I have been in some areas relatively nearby. You should find sand goannas and lacies (bells and normals), eastern beardies, red bellies, spotted blacks and eastern browns and if you're lucky pale heads. Also a good variety of geckoes (check especially under loose bark on trees).

I'd say the carpets in that area are coastals.

Good luck mate and make sure you post up some pictures when you get back!

cheers

you say i'd be lucky to find a coastal, but the luck i have herpin, i'm lucky to find anything...

I'd be happy to find any snake be it venomous or not...

hopefuly i can find some beardies and maybe a Green tree snake and a red belly..

What are the best times to go herping???

Thanks Magpie.

Oh awesome, i would love to find a Sand goanna.. Never seen them before..

But i see lacies a bit around my area.. but not sandy's..

What is a pale headed??

And it would be interesting to find some gecko's...

With my track record, i will get exited at finding any reptile...

Thanks Austrelaps.

What are the best times to go herping???

Depends what you are looking for.
For most of the stuff, mid morning's probably a good bet - look along watercourses and on rocks.
For geckoes or pythons, in the evening, about an hour past sunset.

yeah, i know of a small river not far from where i'll be.. i'll check it out..

So looks like i'll be going in the morn and evening...

i'll try and remember the Cam..

Thanks mate

Gilleni said:
What is a pale headed??

You may wish to invest in a field guide. (You won't regret it!) The two relevant ones from the Herp Shop are:

A FIELD GUIDE TO REPTILES
OF NEW SOUTH WALES
By Gerry Swan, Glenn Shea and Ross Sadlier
This is a thorough update, expansion and revision of A Field Guide to snakes and Lizards of New South Wales which was published in 1990.

In A Field Guide to Reptiles of New South Wales you will find every gecko, flap-footed lizard, goanna, dragon, skink, snake and turtle known to live throughout the many habitats of New South Wales. This State reptile guide narrows down the field of species identification to a manageable size for any naturalist.

The telltale details that make identification possible lie in the descriptions of families, genera and species: these are accompanied by clear line drawings. Where you need to tune out similar species, simple keys are provided. For herpetologists, the location maps, generated from the Australian Museum database, will prove invaluable.

Gerry Swan is an Associate of the Australian Museum and well known author.

Dr.Glenn Shea has a PhD in veterinary science and is a lecturer at the Dept. Veterinary Anatomy at Sydney University. He is a taxonomist who has published 100 or so scientific papers.

Ross Sadlier is the Collections Manager for the Herpetological Dept. of the Australian Museum. He has a BSc and has co-authored a book on the reptiles of New Caledonia.

Soft cover, 21.3cm x 11.4cm, 302 pages, colour photos, distribution maps.

$34.95

*** and ***

A Complete Guide to REPTILES of Australia
By Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan

Soft cover, 480 pages, published by Reed New Holland.

Australia has one of the richest and most diverse collections of reptiles in the world: more than 800 species have been described to date. A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia provides accounts of all of them and nearly all are illustrated with lively colour photographs showing them in their natural habitat. Whether you want to identify reptiles in the wild or in your garden, this book is for you.

Species are grouped in families, for example Skinks, Geckos, Monitors, Blind Snakes and Pythons. Each entry includes a distribution map, a description - with distinguishing features picked out in bold text - notes on a species' preferred habitat and range, information on subspecies and similar species and, wherever appropriate, the conservation status of that species. Extra photographs show most recognised subspecies, as well as differences within species and between sexes.

The book also explains how reptiles are classified, how scientific and common names are applied, how to measure a reptile and how conservation status is determined. Photographs of different reptile habitats will help you pinpoint the likely location of certain species.

Herp Shop? Price: $49.95

I recomend the Guide to Australia... it is basically the current equivalent of cogger and a great book.

--
Herp Shop - http://www.herpshop.com.au
Make a herper friend very happy this Christmas with
10% off all Barefoot Bushman DVD's at the Herp Shop
BushTucker.gif
SolCroc.gif

HAHA, To tell the truth i'v got the Wilson and Swan one.. Lol

And i planned on Taking it with me.. i just thought some i could get a good idea from the site..

And those books dont tell you where the good spots are..

I'll look the pale head up tonight if i get a chance..

Cheers.

Sorry mate, Pale-headed snake (Hoplocephalus bitorquatus).

Have a look around rocky outcrops especially overhangs and crevices in the daylight for shed skin and scat. These are signs of reptiles. As it starts to get dark the toughest gex will be staking out the best hunting rocks and hungry pythons may be on the move
Don't go lifting the bark off all the trees , try the bark that has fallen around the base of the trunk. Watch out for bities especially spiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back