Victorian Snake sellers fined

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
an axe ? thats a bit harsh...

as for the exotics... you play with fire... you get burnt.

Question is...What is a pit bull. My neighbours have a dog that looks the same as the one in the photo on that story but they say it is a "Staffy"???? I guess I'll know for certain if it attacks my kids...

an axe ? thats a bit harsh...
If that was my kid being attacked I'd consider the dog got off lightly. I'm yet to hear a vaild arguement as to why people should be allowed to own pit bulls. I love the old excuse 'it's the owner not the dog'. How often do you also hear that the dog was a loved family pet and has never attacked anything before.

Peter,
I have two staffys and they are the most loving, friendly dog you could ever own. They make absolutely terrible guard dogs, all they want to do is lick you to death. True english staffys haven't got a nasty bone in their body.

Yep i'm with you there Splitmore with the Englisg Staffys but don't totally agree with the pitbulls.Pitbulls are Amercian staffys basically"exact same breed" but they have bred what's known as the "Amstaff" for it's temperament for the complete opposite as oposed to what pit bulls were bred for originally.

I agree most part it's the way the dog's brought up but a true red nose pitbull which you can still own there are just regulations and for good reason.They may make great family dogs and can be great with kids but let them loose near any other dog and most cases there'll be a bloody mess and they have so much more biting pressuure pounds per square inch compared to most other dogs that a normal bite from a pitbull would cause much more damage than say from a German Shepard.

They have had too much bad press over the years and in my opinion aren't anywhere near as bad as made out to be ferocious deliberate killers of everything and totally unpredictable...there are just as many bad stories about other breeds that can do plenty of damage also and the most attacking or biting dogs are usualyy the little yappers.I'd own a pit bull in a heart beat as long as i trained it properly right from word go but would go for the Amstaff as they make a great guard dog and great family pets and can also get on with other animals ...just because a dog is calle a pit bull it is automatically thought to be a dangerous utrustworthy dog from hell which is not the case.It's very much to do with their general temperament and the way they're brought up,as with snakes there will always be the exception.Half the pit bulls around are mongrels that as long as they'll fight when thrown in a pit are classed pitbulls even if not pure bred..

I agree with Splitty and Browns. Staffies have a wonderful temperament and we couldn't ask for two better dogs. They received more pressies then us for Christmas! They bark their lungs out when someone comes down the side driveway, but if they actually came face to face with a burglar, I'm not sure they would deter them if they could play and get a cuddle instead. Like any dog, they do go 'feral' if they don't get enough attention and excersize and need very strict training from the day they come home.
I was of the understanding that pitbulls are a different breed to the amstaffs, though. There are some good pics of amstaffs on www.stafface.com if you want an idea of what they look like.
Here are the kids...

I have owned several pitt bulls over the years & none were aggressive towards humans.
I have kept the following blood lines:
Jeep/Reid
Jeep/Tyson
Tyson/Red boy
Rednose
Sorrel

Every Jeep/Reid bred dog I had would need to be chained though as this line would ALWAYS jump/climb fences to find other dogs to fight. But the others were just fantastic placid dogs similar in character as english staffies which I have also owned. I loved Pit bulls for the mere fact they have heart & you couldnt kill them with a hammer. Other breeds would put their tails between their legs & yelp if hurt by an intruder etc. I saw a news report where a police officer shot a Pitty several times & the dog was still slowly crawling towards him. He had to re-load to finally kill it. Thats the spirit I have always found to be APBT.

Previously I would argue my point to the death that Pitt bulls are "pets not pests" and should be allowed to be owned & bred. However now either being the old fart that I am or the fact I am now a father I would much rather an Am-staff (looks as menacing as a Pitty but does not have the inbred mentally to kill other animals that many APBT have) Not all Pit bulls have the same thought process either, I have had dogs that loved companionship from other animals including cats. I currently have a tyson/redboy bitch of 8 years that is housed at my mothers because it bonded with my brother who was only 2yrs old when I got her & they were raised together. I also have an Am-staff pup at the moment that I am selling due to expecting a baby & would like a puppy AFTER my babies birth so I can raise them together.

I think owners need to realise that they could eventually be walking the streets with a 357 magnum at their side & should take appropriate measures against owning such a weapon to reduce the risk of hair triggers. I still think a dog is only as bad as it has been raised. However a well raised APBT may still have the instinct of attacking other dogs & cats, thats just the APBT trait.

But the attack of other animals should not even occur if owned by a responsible owner. A responsible owner would have his animal leashed while out walking (every dog should be by law anyway). A responsible owner would have appropriate housing for the species (either a large dog run, cage, chain or indoor housing)

The real problem with the species is the negative attention the media has placed on the species due to several attacks on humans (there has been more attacks on humans by german shepards, rottweillers & dobermans over the years by the way, but they have not made the headlines). If raised & trained correctly an APBT should be a very affectionate, loving dog who cherishes human companionship as this is the species nature in general. If trained properly for guard work then the animal should only hold an intruder. It should only attack on command & should also release on command. An aggressive APBT is due to bad ownership or mis-treatment IMHO.

The species lacks fear, has a strong threshold of pain, and is a large powerful animal. This could be a pro & a con of the species depending on HOW IT WAS RAISED. A fearless dog who does not feel much pain is not going to cower when kicked by an intruder attempting to harm your family. An intruder would more than likely avoid the scene due to the large powerful dog anyway lol. The threshold of pain also is a bonus if you have kids that like to pull the animals ears or jump up & down on its back.

I am feeling a lot better after the above few posts. The neighbours dog is definitely not the same breed as the staffys above but may be an amstaf as you mention. It surrently lives with 2 chihauhas (how do you spell that!) and hasn't killed them yet. And I guess they will go first. I will try to get a photo.

I wouldnt hesitate to dispatch any dog that attacked my kids with anything that was at hand. Unless its a security dog for a warehouse etc there is no place for savage dogs in residential neighbourhoods.
Their hero owners should be kicked in the A** aswell.
I dont think their is much point in banning a specific breed because its idiot owners that make a dog like that, but any dog that attacks a child or other person should be green dreamed immediatly, no ifs or buts!

Exotics

brrrrrr said:
was this a post about dogs or exotics ??? lol
good looking dogs anyways ppl

Me too! :shock:
I read the article and then continued reading everyone's opinions but I was confused..... I am of the similar opinion about dangerous dogs, but I also think the corn snakes and red-eared slider turtles are of concern too! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back