Pinkie bunny for tea ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staffsrule

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. A quick question. i have just had a litter of bunnies born yesterday, and my yearling Coastal is due for a feed today. The babies are about the size of the mice he has been eating. Is it a good idea to chuck one in with him for his tea tonight ?? The bunny may be a tad bigger than his mice but not much.

I feed pinkie bunnies. The only problem I find is I get a bit sad as they look so cute. But all my kids love them. Plus an adult mouse is approx 30gms while a pinky bunny is around 80.

I have 5kg Coastal and bhps and feed them 500gm rabbits which in fact contain far less fat than a 500gm rat. As you know, a 500gm rat is a jolly big rat, probably a spent breeder, which is packing huge amounts of fat. Feeding an animal large amounts of fat over the time period of it's adult life in basically not good. In the "wild", fat prey does not exist. And as we have established in many "discussions", neither do fat snakes! (But not exclusively because of a lack of fat prey!)

Over-feeding fat rats to inactive snakes... you do the math.

Rabbits are generally about half the price of rats, weight for weight. And if you take into account nutritional value, probably even less.

Pete, not only do I name each bunny, I give it a little farewell ceremony too! :wink:

Reptililian, Can you buy frozen rabbits or do you breed your own? If you buy, who sells them?

Bakes

A family friend breeds them for us. We have considered supplying, but the market does not really appear to be stable enough. Or maybe there just aren't enough big pythons out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back