Should I

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnglgrl

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if any1 could tell me how I should feed my python. I just got him today and he's on fuzzy rats. The pet shop guy told me that he wont have any prob eating today and he's pretty settled in his home already and not hiding ( he's lying on a big rock) but freaks out when u move near him unless your moving real slow ( im just learning) so I was gonna try and feed him but im not quite sure how the best way to do this is. Should I feed him in his enclosure just this time so he dosn't get to stressed out? Or should I take him out and feed him in a tub? Or should I just not bother him at all? :? Sorry but I have no pics at the moment :(

Your first mistake was to listen to the pet shop guy.
Maybe a bit harsh.
He will take more than a day to settle
I'd leave him a week before trying to feed him, at least.

Leave him for 1 week and then u can give hime something 2 eat

Oh i forgot welcome 2 the site jnglgrl. Where in melb r u?

first of all the jungle would be stressed out from being on display aat the pet shop so starting from scratch:

put him in quietest part of the house and let him be to relax and get use to his new home, then give him a week then try to feed him, just drop the rat in and leave it over night remove it if he doesn't eat.

#Make sure the rat is dead when you put it in with him!! What size enclosure do you have him in? Smaller snakes like smaller enclosures, and you can always put another hide in with him to. - 1 at the cold end and 1 in the warm end prefereably so he can comfortably hide in whichever temp he prefers. Look forward to seeing pics when you get them!

Thanx for all yor replies every1, ill try and feed him in his enclosure on friday night and if its still there sat morning ill throw it out and try again in a week. He has 3 hides 1 in middle and 1 either side. He's on frozen thawed fuzzies, im not sure what size the enclosure is but its the same size as the pet shop display ones. And Redline im near lilydale :mrgreen:

JMO, but I've found just leaving the prey item still doesn't work often, wiggle it round a bit or dangle it by the tail in front of your snake. But I agree with everyone else, wait a few days for it to settle down first.

Some of my snakes don't take the pray if just left on floor. Mabe becaose it get cold or they need moovement. It depends on individual animal.
It would be nice to find friend close to you from Melbourne, and ask him to show you for first time what to do and give you few tips. I would recommend you to pm Africacichlidau or ouzo and ask . They are long time members of APS and can reccomend somebody to help you.

One of my coastals will eat from the bottom of his enclosure, but the other one wont, he needs his food wriggled in front of him. Both coastals both the same age, just goes to show how individuals can vary in behaviour.

mine are all greedy if they dont get it as soon as its in the door they will take it from the floor no problems only rarely do i have to make it "live again" lol

Jnglgirl leave it till fri nite and open encluosure wiggle it in front of him/her and hey presto one fed python (hopefully).once wrapped up move slowly away and not too much movement and you'll be able to watch it eat.

Congo

really i think the whether or not to feed it during its first week with ya depends on the snake and so dose the method. my little fatty whos currently on fuzzies dosen't care what you do while hes feeding he just eats away while i change his water and do spot cleaning. a good idea would be to get some large tweezers, i got the 25cm ones from animal attractions. just defrost the rat in some warm water(to make sure its defrosted its stomach area shoud be moveable, i usually leave it for 2-3 mins just to be safe.) then pick it up with the tweezers and wiggle it infront of your snake, from that point on he will hopefully do the rest :p .

also when i am feeding after hes striked and dose a bit of coiling i use the tweezers to wiggle the rat a bit. makes him think its actually still alive and he puts a bit more effort into coiling around it. but thats just me :p

cheers and goodluck with your first snake they're so much fun!

andew

She has a jungle named Anubis from memory. Hence the name "jnglgrl"

Thankyou every1 you are soooo helpfull, dunno what id do without yaz. Lol Rennie :) yes he's a jungle named Anubis.
I dont think ill be feeding him tonight coz he's hiding now (and making a lier out of me :lol: ) he's not in any of his hides though, he's behind the big rock he was lying on not last night but the night before and he's been there since yesterday morning. I could see his tale before but now I cant see him at all. Im a lil worried about my baby but I know he's ok and im just being silly. And he is the reason why im up so early, I had to spy on him to make sure he's ok but I cant see him now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back