Ethnoherpetologist

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olivehydra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ethnoherpetologist....."someone who studies the interrelationships of humans and amphibians and reptiles".

I was reading in an article that some folk actually classify themselves within this category. Of interest was the discussion likening herpetoculture to the drug culture. It has been suggested that herps act as "exogenous triggers of autogenerated drugs". The phrase "herpers rush" has been given to the dopamine fuelled high one gets when acquiring a new herp. The article goes further to suggest that very few individuals find a species that continually acts as a trigger, and so the search goes on for the elusive 'holy grail' of herps.
Personally, I know I dont have a problem, I can quit anytime, honestly :wink: . For me it is olives.
Has anyone found their "holy grail" of herps yet? Or perhaps you might like to admit to having a problem? :wink:

I started out with the odd herp at a party or on special occasions. Now it's most days, starting as soon as I get up in the morning. It's taken over my life, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Albino Olives, Olivehydra? Tell me all about it...

reptililian said:
I started out with the odd herp at a party or on special occasions. Now it's most days, starting as soon as I get up in the morning. It's taken over my life, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Albino Olives, Olivehydra? Tell me all about it...

Albino olives to me, are like cigarettes to a social smoker, just something cool to do that isn't addictive :wink:

ok here it goes my name is nathan and my species that gets me high is spencers monitors :) there i admitted ive got a problem thats half the recovery period complete :)

And how are you going with your 10 steps, Nathan?

so far so good up until about half an hour ago i needed a hit couldnt find a spencers so i ordered 2 pink tongues :lol: but ill stop after that i swear

If it's a herp it gets me high. I don't have a problem though, I see a herp, I buy it, no problem :) But my bank manager wouldn't agree :)

I think step seven you have to contact all the people youve offended and apologise.
yeah right, in your dreams.

peterescue said:
I think step seven you have to contact all the people youve offended and apologise.
yeah right, in your dreams.

LOL

That would be some list, eh Pete?

:p

Hix

Ha HA Peter that would be expensive telephone bill. By the way They have course on diplomacy for honast people who can't help them selve I think.

Yes, I have a problem, a financial problem, like afro. I'm still searching for my "holy grail" though.

MrBredli said:
Yup.. i need to go to Herps Anonymous for sure :lol:

Everyone is welcome! :idea:

I get a rush just from completing cleaning an enclosure spotless.
gex are probly my favorit! :)

hi, my name's mark........and im a herpatolic ! :oops:

(thats always bugged me, why do they call it alchoholics anonymous when the first thing you do is stand up and tell everyone your name?)

The reason they equate it to drugs is this. I started out with soft stuff. Eastern Water Dragons were my aim along with a diamond python. But then I moved on to Frillies and Lacies - the harder stuff. And when you start to get into the harder stuff you tend to mix with people who are on even harder stuff again and so you end up on the even harder stuff yourself - Like GTP's or albino Olives.

But my biggest high would come from a Fijian Green Iguana

I was inches away from the first one bred in the UK last week peter !! and the parents are a sight too ! , stunning little things, theres some pics in the gallery under this name........anytime you need to shoot up mate !! feel free !! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back