Olive Enclosure Lutzd?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KathandStu

Reaction score
Lutzd (& anyone else who has an Olive) how big is your enclosure & what would be an ideal size for a full-grown Olive?

Thanks,

Kath

I'm sure you will get plenty of differing responses. I keep my olives in melamine enclosures that are 2m wide, 1m deep and 750mm tall.
Pm if you want pics,
Cheers.

What would be the smallest enclosure you would comfortably keep a single adult Olive in? (Assuming it would be handled regulally if that makes a difference to the required floor space)

As a rule, ive always used length+depth should always be greater that the snake! anyone else use this rule ?

Yeah Mark, but have heard for tree dwelling (not olives I guess) half length of the snake long and high and half that again wide. The same cubic space really. As a minimum, but.

I keep my little terror in a Vision 332:

http://rlreptiles.com/RL_CagesAndTubs.cfm

Seems to be a real nice size for him right now- I have some cork bark and grapewood in there for him to climb around on- he makes EXCELLENT use of it!

These guys as youngsters really like to climb/explore, so I'd suggest getting something big enough to put in a jungle gym...

//Todd

Moreliaman: I love that idea! But figure it would be highly impractical for Stu & I as we live in a shoe-box apartment so a 2.5 meter long enclosure simply wouldn't fit!

I am asking about enclosure sizes because I would love to get an Olive but won't buy one if I can't provide it with what it needs to be happy (no matter how much I love Olives). So if we can't fit the right sized enclosure or can't find a reliable food supplier or simply can't afford the food bill for it then I won't get one. :cry: (Darn the need to be responsible & adult!)

On that note, those who own an adult sized Olive, how much do they eat in a month?

Thanks,

Kath

KathandStu said:
Moreliaman: I love that idea! But figure it would be highly impractical for Stu & I as we live in a shoe-box apartment so a 2.5 meter long enclosure simply wouldn't fit!

I am asking about enclosure sizes because I would love to get an Olive but won't buy one if I can't provide it with what it needs to be happy (no matter how much I love Olives). So if we can't fit the right sized enclosure or can't find a reliable food supplier or simply can't afford the food bill for it then I won't get one. :cry: (Darn the need to be responsible & adult!)

On that note, those who own an adult sized Olive, how much do they eat in a month?

Thanks,

Kath

I would suggest the minimum cage size for an adult olive would be 1800mm long by 600mm deep (floor area).
Re the food question... they will eat as much as you offer :wink: Mine are on diets and have been for a couple of years, I would say 1 large rat every month on average is what mine have been getting and they are still overweight. I dont see why you would need more than 1 rat per week or two to maintain a healthy snake.

Olivehydro: Thanks for the specific floor size minimum. :) Re: the food. 1-2 adult rats per week/fornight?! That is much less than I thought. I had visions of rabbits & chooks every month! A couple of rats every fortnight I can manage! (I even have a pet store near-by (well an hours walk away) which can provide that!) So they don't need rabbits or other bigger food items?

Also I have read that Olives are ot aboreal but was reading an article which had a photo of an adult olive in a tree eating fruit bats! Was that just an abberation?

KathandStu said:
Olivehydro: Thanks for the specific floor size minimum. :) Re: the food. 1-2 adult rats per week/fornight?! That is much less than I thought. I had visions of rabbits & chooks every month! A couple of rats every fortnight I can manage! (I even have a pet store near-by (well an hours walk away) which can provide that!) So they don't need rabbits or other bigger food items?

Also I have read that Olives are ot aboreal but was reading an article which had a photo of an adult olive in a tree eating fruit bats! Was that just an abberation?

Olives do very well on rats alone, so no need to stress if you cant find bunnies. They do climb a fair bit when young but I prefer not to allow them to as adults. They are very heavy bodied and somewhat clumsy so injuries from falls are not uncommon.

I'm keeping mine in a 225x80x75 (lxwxh) cage. I'm also feeding 1 rat a month. They easily become too fat, which is said to decrease fertility.

My Olive enclosures are 1.4m long, 65cm deep and 50cm high. Most Olives will be comfortable in this size enclosure. Mine are young though, and are close to 2m long. When they get bigger their enclosure will get bigger too. Also as they get bigger you can slow down their feeding considerably. It wont take much food to keep an adult Olive going and you can feed it meals that will just keep it in good condition, instead of feeding to increase its size.

minimum isnt always best, ives seen 14ft olives in 5x2x2ft why was it in there because the person wanted one and that was the biggest cage they could have. so the snakes suffers. dont bother getting one if you cant provide a cage the size of a single bed. ask yourself what is the biggest space i can aford to give to a snake then deside what type to get.

my enlcosure is 1800 x 900 h x 650 w

I'd love to have a bigger one but i have no space for a longer one, and it has to fit through a standard door.

When my olive (not purchased yet) is big enough i will build an outdoor cage that is connected to a box inside for cold night/ days with a heat mat under tiles.

mine are in 3ft X 2ft X2ft but they are bit ovr a metre and are alright for now, but found they are too clumbsy for climbing can always hear then falling off the branches of a night.

olives

i currently have mine in converted wardrobes, and have the height greater than the width at this stage. the olives are about 6 foot long and are still spending almost all their time up at the top of the enclosure - they even feed hanging from their perches! i am hopefully getting my "snake shed" this year and i will be building them larger enclosures to accomodate them as they reach full size. as for food, they will happily eat 1 medium to large rat a week and show no signs of being over-weight at all.
if you have the space for them as adults then olives are awesome snakes to have, you won't be dissapppointed!
bombie

yeah, i wouldn't mind getting some, but my dad said anything i own lives in my room!! so finding room for a childrens in my room now is a nightmare but maybe one day soon i can get some as they are such big strong animals

Thank you all for for input, it has helped us make a desiciong regarding Olive ownership....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back