Waterlogged Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OdessaStud

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
HI all please can someone tell me if its ok for my male carpet to spend 99% of the time in his water dish.Today he had two mice after i took his bowl away then as soon as i put the water dish back he was straight back into it.Is this a problem hes lowering hes body temp which i thought he needs to digest hes dinner and also hes cold to touch,any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Boo

where are you he could be cooling himself down mine have been over the few days during the hot days also it could be mites look at the bottem of the water bowl and see if theres any

Thanks westhamsc im in se qld so its always hot and no theres no mites so im damed if i know whats going on with him all the others are fine im worried hell end up with wrinkly skin lol

lol i wouldn't worry just yet try dropping the temps in his cage a bit. what are the temps in his cage hot and cool end? what type of carpet is he?

my carpets just do it sumtimes 2 and they dunt have mites, so dun worry longest mine has stayed in is 5 days, and his fine, in the NT its always hot 2 and i think ull have no hot and cold end am i right? i dunt heat my snake cages at all, and lizards i just give a lamp 4 uva/uvb

My carpets also sometimes decide to soak, not all, just a few. I suppose they are like people, some like to swim some don't! My adult male hypo has been soaking for a few days, but he is fine! Sometime's it's nice to go for a swim!

Thanks everyone i wont worry about him then,and no i dont have a cold/hot end and at this time of year i regulate the lights because mostly we dont need them.Again thanks again for your answers.
Boo

i have a coastal here who is in the bowl 24 hrs a day and there isn't a mite to be seen on him. I was so worried i treated all my snakes for mites anyway just in case with Top of Descent. As soon as i put the water bowl in he was straight back in it right up over his head with only his nostrils showing.

Does anyone know how long he can keep on getting in there before he gets scale rot? Last time i took him out he was looking a little pinkish underneath which someone told me was indicative of scale rot...anyone?

I dunno about scale rot but maybe they think they're crocs LOL

my bhps do it sometimes i think they do it 2 cool down.

Pinkish tinge underneath is often the first sign of an approaching shed as well, so it could also explain the soaking - snakes often do this prior to shedding. As long as the animal has access to dry areas, scale-rot should not be a problem - it will do what it needs to do. Scale-rot is usually an artefact of being unable to dry out at all, and also exacerbated by the usually high bacterial and fungal loads in a constantly wet substrate.

Jamie.

my bredli was sitting in her water bowl a week ago for 2 days then i noticed she was opaque so it could be the same for you just shedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back