Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't they have to come from accredited breeders or zoos parks etc ? Even then there is no proof the animals are pure enough to release to restock. I would like to think it was possible.

Although I would still like to SEE some of the morphs that can be produced by crossing I won't buy any (my first thought was red bredli's X white/yellow albino's = possibly pink snakes which may look interesting but are they worth it?) , after reading some other opinions I also hope that it doesn't go too far here and pure locality strains are still available (preferably even more common than the crosses) unlike in america.
Can I change my vote? LOL

TrueBlue said:
Boa,- I have no problem with line breeding for morphs, as long as it stays within in the same sub-speices, its the crossing of those that I dont like. Look at half the anteresia' s down south, know one nows whats what half the time because of this.
I have hypos that produce the odd animal that has very simular traits to the jag you posted, in a season or two you will see hypos being produced in oz that look as jag as any over seas, wait and see.

Rob,

With the amount of talk and gossip regarding Jags that I keeping hearing and every one else doe's. I think that you will find that there is all ready about 10 of the US one's here in Aus!

But this is only what the rumor mill is saying around Aus.

Regards Tim

I do not find that a surprise at all unfortunatly Tim, in fact I would of thought there would of been more than that down south in exotic heaven. The only thing I can say is none of those animals will ever be here. Im so close to producing some mind boggling hypos that even if the chance arsose to use one of them I honestly wouldnt want to taint my beautiful strain.

With the distribution of carpets over australia it is highly unlikely that animals will be reintroduced to the wild. Talk about polluting a gene pool.

Very interesting how the voting is going, 62% obviously in favour of hybrids (not morphs) and are prepared to pay a good price for them.

MH, Not if they are pure and their geograhpical origins are known, by crossing sub-speices as you bost about doing you are deliberatly polluting gene pools. :shock:

Ok True Blue, less talk more pics. :twisted: Any chance of seeing how these Jags/Hypos of yours are looking at the moment?

IMO regardless of what the majority want its going to happen. I remember reading a article from the U.S that was similar to this thread, saying how ppl wanted to keep snakes 'pure' and not change the appearance of traits by crossing and whatever you want to call it, now look at the states..........

seems with most things in life we all want to become americanized, T.V, video games clothes, whatever......although we say we are different we are Australian, no matter how hard we fight things will change.........i think the question is how long before we have designer carpets and weird morphs?? how long before the albino olives and darwins are crossed with 'pure' species to create different types of albinos?

i personally like what we have, and am happy with the selection we have..........but if some of us on here plan to be breeders later in life, should your buisness plan include designer carpets?

like someone already said to a point they are already here, stripey coastals is just the tip of the iceberg.

have no idea if this post makes sense, but it does in my head :)

stiffy,- they wont let me post any more, I have to work out ho to delete previous pics, have tried a couple of times but beats the hell out of me, Im not tecnologically advanced like most of you lot, I only know how to breed snakes and frolic.

i'd pay good money for a jet black Olive python.

whats it called, opposite of albino?

olivehydra said:
Dont want to get too deep and meaningful, as I tend to drown in deep water :wink: but,.... someone, (I think TB) mentioned mother nature and allowing it to progress without human help.
I believe humans are part of "mother nature" and therefore shouldnt our actions also be considered part of nature? To seperate ourselves from our environment is something that happens all too often. I think a hybrid snake is still a snake, its not quite "Blade Runner" yet, where we have artificial vs real? Perhaps it is just a "class" issue, in which pure animals are assigned more value because their folks came from "old money"?

You put forward a perfectly valid argument, we are just another species, many species interact with each other, affecting evolution in all sorts of ways. I have no way of discrediting the argument, however, it doesn't sit too well with most people, because if you accept it, you accept that there is nothing wrong with humans polluting the planet, detonating nuclear bombs, hunting species to extinction etc etc etc. Perhaps it would be better if we tried not to jump in and cause too many changes. I can't give you a reason why, it isn't necessarily logical, it is sentimental. Text can come across strangely, so I'll point out that I'm not being at all facetious in this post.

I dont know much but i thought Hyper melanistic was increased black pigment and that amelanistic was complete black pigement. Hypo melanistic is obviously reduced black pigement. Can someone please verify this?.

Their is no opposite of an albino (Is their?). That would mean it would be pure black with red eyes, wouldnt it?. As you can see, i'm unsure...

leucistic is white with black eyes. (Not an albino).

They certainly do need a snake slang thread. Please correct my mistakes.

Thanks. Lance.

Reptilia said:
I dont know much but i thought Hyper melanistic was increased black pigment and that amelanistic was complete black pigement.

Amelanistics have no melanin

Reptilia said:
leucistic is white with black eyes. (Not an albino).

There are also blue eyed leucistics about - very nice :wink:

TrueBlue said:
There are still quite a number of us die hard locality specific breeders out there sdaji, hell I even try to keep my jungles local specific wereas alot these days are crossing them with athertons.
With Pilbarapythons on a legal mission in WA, garranteed local specific animals are the order of the day, and belive me they have some stunners I should know as a number are here on a breeding program.
They are going out of their way to keep things local and this to me in IMO is the whole basis of the reason we keep reptiles, if an environmental disarster or the likes were to happen in an area at least we may have a chance of re-introducing the animals back into their habitat once every thing was safe to do so.

Treasure whatever pure lines you have and get all that you can aside safely now, while you still can. There will be a few people like yourself with a few pure lines, but people like yourself will become rare, most pure lines will be lost and few people will care. I don't think captive reptiles are likely to be used for repopulation attempts in Australia, and almost certainly never from private collections. The mammal reintroductions are almost always dismal failures and done mostly as publicity stunts. Yes, there are some exceptions. I think the main value in having location pure lines in captivity is sentimental, just like morphs. They are of more value for studies on reproductive patterns etc, as they are relevant to a known population, but very few private keepers bother to record the relevant data, let alone publish it.

One of these days I might have to get some animals from you :)

He speaks :lol: Hyper : Above, exceeding, higher, more than, abnormally increased.
I take it to be that melanistic means it is black, hypermelanistic means it is abnormally black. So it is even more black :lol:

Gabe said:
I thought it was just melanistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back